Jijamata Udyan, also known as Ranichi Baug or Veermata Jijabai Bhosale Udyan and Zoo, is a historical garden and zoo located in Byculla, Mumbai. It is one of the oldest zoos in India and houses many rare and endangered species of animals and plants, a famous tourist attraction in Mumbai. If you are looking for a place to enjoy nature and learn about wildlife in Mumbai, Ranichi Baug is a perfect destination for you, viait during Mumbai Darshan tour package. In this article, we will tell you everything you need to know about visiting Jijamata Udyan, including its distance from the city center, location, timing/entry fees, how to reach, things to do/must see, significance, FAQs and conclusion.
Distance from City Center Jijamata Udyan
Jijamata Udyan is situated about 6 km away from the city center of Mumbai. It takes around 20 minutes to drive from the city center to the zoo, depending on the traffic conditions.
Location of Jijamata Udyan
Jijamata Udyan is located at Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Road, Byculla East, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400027. It is adjacent to the Byculla railway station and near the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) building.
Timing/Entry Fees Jijamata Udyan
Jijamata Udyan is open from 9:30 am to 5:30 pm every day except Wednesdays. The entry fee for adults is Rs. 50 and for children (3-12 years) is Rs. 25. There is an additional charge of Rs. 100 for carrying a camera and Rs. 5000 for shooting a video.
How to Reach Jijamata Udyan
There are various ways to reach The Udyan from different parts of Mumbai. You can take a local train to Byculla station and walk for a few minutes to the zoo. You can also take a bus, taxi or auto-rickshaw to the zoo from nearby areas such as CST, Dadar, Worli, etc. Alternatively, you can book a cab or use a ride-hailing app like Ola or Uber to reach the zoo conveniently.
Things to Do/Must See Jijamata Udyan
There are many things to do and see at The Udyan that will make your visit worthwhile. Some of the main attractions are:
- The zoo: The zoo has over 300 animals of 50 different species, including tigers, lions, leopards, elephants, bears, deer, monkeys, crocodiles, snakes, birds and more. You can also see some exotic animals like hippopotamus, zebra and ostrich that were recently brought from Israel. The zoo also has a reptile house, a penguin enclosure and a butterfly park.
- The garden: The garden covers an area of 48 acres and has over 3000 trees of 286 species. It also has many flowering plants, herbs and medicinal plants. You can enjoy a stroll in the garden and admire its beauty and diversity.
- The museum: The museum is located inside the zoo and displays various artifacts related to the history and culture of Mumbai and Maharashtra. It also has a gallery dedicated to Veermata Jijabai Bhosale, the mother of Shivaji Maharaj and the namesake of the zoo.
- The clock tower: The clock tower is a landmark of Jijamata Udyan that was built in 1864. It stands at a height of 78 feet and has a clock with four faces that chimes every hour.
- The statue of Jijabai: The statue of Jijabai is another prominent feature of Jijamata Udyan that was unveiled in 1961 by Dr. Rajendra Prasad, the first president of India. It depicts Jijabai holding her son Shivaji in her arms and inspiring him to fight for freedom.
Significance of Jijamata Udyan
Jijamata Udyan is not only a place of recreation but also a place of historical and cultural significance. It was established in 1861 by Dr. Bhau Daji Lad as Victoria Gardens to commemorate the visit of Queen Victoria to India. It was later renamed as The Udyan in honor of Jijabai, who was a brave and influential woman leader in the Maratha Empire. The Udyan is also a symbol of Mumbai’s heritage and biodiversity as it preserves many rare and native species of flora and fauna.
Q: Is there any parking facility at Jijamata Udyan?
A: Yes, there is a parking lot near the main gate of The Udyan where you can park your vehicle for a nominal fee.
Q: Is there any food or water facility at Jijamata Udyan?
A: Yes, there are several food stalls and water coolers inside The Udyan where you can buy snacks and beverages.
Q: Is there any guide or audio tour available at Jijamata Udyan?
A: Yes, there are guides who can give you information about the zoo and the garden for a small charge. You can also download an app called ‘Mumbai Zoo’ on your smartphone that provides an audio tour of The Udyan.
Q: Is there any locker or cloakroom facility at Jijamata Udyan?
A: No, there is no locker or cloakroom facility at Jijamata Udyan. You have to carry your belongings with you at all times.
Jijamata Udyan is a must-visit place for anyone who loves nature and wildlife in Mumbai. It offers a unique experience of seeing various animals and plants in their natural habitats. It also educates visitors about the history and culture of Mumbai and Maharashtra through its museum and monuments. Jijamata Udyan is a place where you can have fun and learn at the same time. So what are you waiting for? Plan your visit to Jijamata Udyan today!