Bandra Fort, also known as Castella de Aguada or Fort of the Waterpoint, is a historical fort located in Bandra West, Mumbai. It was built by the Portuguese in the 16th century as a watchtower and a defense post against the British and the Marathas. It offers a stunning view of the Arabian Sea and the Worli-Bandra Sea Link. It is also a venue for cultural events and festivals throughout the year. Visit during Mumbai Darshan tour package.
If you are looking for a place to explore the history and heritage of Mumbai, Bandra Fort is a perfect destination for you. In this article, we will tell you everything you need to know about visiting Bandra Fort, including its distance from the city center, location, timing/entry fees, how to reach, things to do/must see, significance, FAQs and conclusion.
Distance from City Center Bandra Fort
Bandra Fort is situated about 18 km away from the city center of Mumbai. It takes around 40 minutes to drive from the city center to Bandra Fort, depending on the traffic conditions.
Location of Bandra Fort
Bandra Fort is located at Land’s End, Bandstand Road, Bandra West, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400050. It is situated at the end of Bandstand Promenade and near Taj Lands End Hotel.
Timing/Entry Fees Bandra Fort
Bandra Fort is open from 6 am to 7:30 pm every day. There is no entry fee for visiting Bandra Fort.
How to Reach Bandra Fort
There are various ways to reach the Fort from different parts of Mumbai. You can take a local train to Bandra station and then take a bus, taxi or auto-rickshaw to the Fort. You can also take a metro to D.N. Nagar station and then take a bus or an auto-rickshaw to The Fort. Alternatively, you can book a cab or use a ride-hailing app like Ola or Uber to reach The Fort conveniently.
Things to Do/Must See Bandra Fort
There are many things to do and see at Bandra Fort that will make your visit worthwhile. Some of the main attractions are:
- The fort: The fort is the main attraction of The Fort where you can see the remnants of the Portuguese architecture and design. You can also see the cannons, bastions, walls and arches that were used for defense and surveillance. You can also climb up the stairs and reach the top of the fort where you can enjoy a panoramic view of the sea and the city.
- The sea link: The sea link is another attraction of The Fort that is visible from the fort. It is a cable-stayed bridge that connects Bandra and Worli across the sea. It is one of the longest bridges in India and a marvel of engineering. It also adds to the beauty and charm of the skyline of Mumbai.
- The events and festivals: The Fort hosts many events and festivals throughout the year that attract thousands of visitors and performers. Some of them are:
- Celebrate Bandra: Celebrate Bandra is a biennial festival that celebrates the culture and diversity of Bandra. It features various events such as music concerts, art exhibitions, food stalls, workshops, sports activities and more.
- Mahindra Blues Festival: Mahindra Blues Festival is an annual festival that showcases some of the best blues artists from India and abroad. It is one of the largest blues festivals in Asia and a treat for music lovers.
- Kala Ghoda Arts Festival: Kala Ghoda Arts Festival is an annual festival that showcases various forms of art such as visual arts, performing arts, literature, cinema, heritage walks and more. It is one of the most popular cultural festivals in Mumbai and a platform for emerging artists.
Significance of Bandra Fort
Bandra Fort is not only a place of recreation but also a place of historical and cultural significance. It is a symbol of Mumbai’s colonial past and its struggle for freedom. It is also a symbol of Mumbai’s artistic and creative spirit that hosts many events and festivals throughout the year. The Fort is a place where you can witness the history and culture of Mumbai.
Q: Is there any parking facility at Bandra Fort?
A: Yes, there is a parking lot near Taj Lands End Hotel where you can park your vehicle for a nominal fee.
Q: Is there any toilet facility at Bandra Fort?
A: Yes, there are public toilets near Taj Lands End Hotel where you can use for free.
Q: Is there any security or police presence at Bandra Fort?
A: Yes, there are security guards and police officers patrolling around the fort to ensure safety and order.
Q: Is there any restriction or rule at Bandra Fort?
A: Yes, there are some restrictions and rules at The Fort that you have to follow such as:
Do not litter or throw garbage around the fort or in the sea.
Do not play loud music or create noise pollution.
Do not indulge in any illegal or immoral activities such as drinking alcohol or smoking.
Do not damage or vandalize any part of the fort or its surroundings.
Bandra Fort is a must-visit place for anyone who loves history and heritage in Mumbai. It offers a unique experience of seeing the old and new aspects of Mumbai as well as its natural beauty. It also provides an opportunity to enjoy various events and festivals that showcase the talent and diversity of Mumbai. Bandra Fort is a place where you can have a memorable time in Mumbai. So what are you waiting for? Plan your visit to Bandra Fort today!