Dadasaheb Phalke Film City Mumbai, also known as Film City or Dadasaheb Phalke Chitranagari, is an integrated film studio complex situated near Sanjay Gandhi National Park in Goregaon East, Mumbai, India. It is one of the largest and most popular film studios in India and the home of Bollywood, the Hindi film industry and Famous tourist attraction in Mumbai.
It has several recording rooms, gardens, lakes, theatres and grounds that serve as the venue of many Bollywood and Marathi films. It was built in 1977 by the state government to provide facilities and concessions to the film industry. It was named after Dadasaheb Phalke, who is considered as the father of Indian cinema. Visit during North Mumbai One day Tour.
Distance From City Center Location of Dadasaheb Phalke Film City
Dadasaheb Phalke Film City is located about 30 km from the city center of Mumbai. The nearest railway station is Goregaon, which is connected to major cities like Mumbai, Pune, Ahmedabad, and Delhi. The nearest airport is Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport, which is about 15 km away.
Timing/Entry Fees Dadasaheb Phalke Film City
Dadasaheb Phalke Film City is open daily from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm, except on Sundays and public holidays. The entry fee for Indian nationals is Rs. 599 per person and for foreign nationals is Rs. 1499 per person. There is also a fee for photography and videography, which is Rs. 1000 and Rs. 2000 respectively.
How to reach Dadasaheb Phalke Film City
There are various modes of transport available to reach the Dadasaheb Phalke Film City. One can take a bus, taxi, auto-rickshaw, or car from the railway station or the airport. The most convenient and popular way is to take a guided tour of the film city, which can be booked online or at the Gateway of India, which is a landmark monument and a tourist attraction in Mumbai. The tour includes a bus ride to and from the film city, a visit to various shooting locations and studios, a live show of film making process, and a chance to meet some celebrities.
Things to Do / Must See Dadasaheb Phalke Film City
There are many things to do and see at the Dadasaheb Phalke Film City and its surroundings. Some of them are:
- Darshan of Film City: The main attraction of the film city is the darshan of the various shooting locations and studios that showcase the glamour and magic of Bollywood. The film city has more than 20 indoor studios and 42 outdoor locations that can create any type of setting such as a temple, prison, court, lake, mountain, fountain, village, picnic spot, garden and a waterfall. Some of the notable locations are:
- Helipad: This is a large open space that can be used for shooting scenes involving helicopters or aerial views.
- Temple: This is a replica of a Hindu temple that can be used for shooting religious scenes or ceremonies.
- Court: This is a replica of a courtroom that can be used for shooting legal scenes or dramas.
- Lake: This is a man-made lake that can be used for shooting romantic scenes or water sports.
- Mountain: This is a hilltop that can be used for shooting scenic scenes or adventure sports.
- Fountain: This is a large fountain that can be used for shooting musical scenes or dances.
- Village: This is a replica of a rural village that can be used for shooting rustic scenes or social issues.
- Picnic Spot: This is a green lawn with trees and benches that can be used for shooting casual scenes or family outings.
- Garden: This is a beautiful garden with flowers and statues that can be used for shooting elegant scenes or parties.
- Waterfall: This is a man-made waterfall that can be used for shooting exotic scenes or thrillers.
- Film City Tour: This is a guided tour of the film city that offers an insight into the film making process and the behind-the-scenes activities. The tour includes:
- Bus Ride: This is a comfortable bus ride that takes visitors from the Gateway of India to the film city and back.
- Visit to Shooting Locations and Studios: This is a visit to various shooting locations and studios where visitors can see how films are shot and edited.
- Live Show: This is a live show where visitors can see how actors perform stunts, dances, fights, etc.
- Meet Celebrities: This is a chance to meet some celebrities who may be present at the film city during the tour.
- Sanjay Gandhi National Park: This is a protected area that covers an area of 104 sq km (40 sq mi) and hosts a rich biodiversity of flora and fauna. The park has many attractions such as:
- Lion and Tiger Safari: This is an enclosed area where visitors can see lions and tigers in their natural habitat from a bus.
- Vanrani Mini Train: This is a toy train that runs through the park and offers scenic views of the forest and hills.
- Nature Trails: There are many nature trails in the park that allow visitors to explore the park on foot or bicycle and observe various plants and animals.
- Shilonda Trail: This is a popular trail that leads to a stream and waterfall in the park.
- Gandhi Tekdi: This is a hilltop where a memorial for Mahatma Gandhi is located.
Significance of Dadasaheb Phalke Film City
Dadasaheb Phalke Film City has a great significance for the history and culture of India. It is one of the largest and most advanced film studios in India and reflects the growth and development of Indian cinema over decades. It also provides employment and income to thousands of people who work in various fields related to film making such as actors, directors, producers, technicians, writers, musicians, etc.
The film city also has significance for its location and environment. It is situated near one of the largest urban national parks in the world and offers a green oasis amidst the concrete jungle of Mumbai. It also provides an opportunity for nature lovers and adventure seekers to enjoy various activities such as trekking, boating, fishing, birdwatching etc.
Q: What are the timings for Visit?
A: The timings for darshan are from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm daily except on Sundays and public holidays.
Q: What are the entry fees?
A: The entry fees for Indian nationals are Rs. 599 per person and for foreign nationals are Rs. 1499 per person. There are also fees for photography and videography which are Rs. 1000 and Rs. 2000 respectively.
Q: What are the best time to visit?
A: The best time to visit is during winter (November to February) when the weather is pleasant and dry.
Dadasaheb Phalke Film City Mumbai is a treasure trove of entertainment, education, and enjoyment. It is a place where one can admire the craftsmanship and creativity of our filmmakers and learn about their stories and styles. It is also a place where one can enjoy nature’s beauty and bounty in harmony with wildlife. It is a place worth visiting for anyone who loves films, culture or nature…