If you are looking for a place to worship and seek blessings from the Goddess of wealth and prosperity, then Mahalaxmi Temple- Kolhapur is a perfect destination for you. Mahalaxmi Temple is a sacred and ancient temple that is dedicated to Goddess Mahalaxmi, also known as Ambabai or Shri Lakshmi. The temple is one of the Shakti Peethas, where the left eye of Goddess Sati fell after her self-immolation. Mahalaxmi Temple famous temple in Kolhpaur, Visit during Kolhapur Darshan tour Package.
The temple is also one of the six abodes of Goddess Mahalaxmi, where she resides along with her consort Lord Vishnu. The temple is a masterpiece of architecture and art, and it attracts millions of devotees and tourists every year. In this article, we will tell you everything you need to know about Mahalaxmi Temple, including its location, timing/entry fees, how to reach, things to do/must see, significance, FAQs, and conclusion.
Location of Mahalaxmi Temple- Kolhapur
Mahalaxmi Temple is located in the heart of Kolhapur city, in Maharashtra state. It is situated on the banks of the Panchganga river, which is considered to be sacred by the Hindus. The temple is surrounded by other temples and monuments such as Rankala Lake, Shahu Palace, Siddhagiri Museum, etc.
Timing/Entry Fees Mahalaxmi Temple- Kolhapur
The temple is open to visitors throughout the year, from 4 am to 10:30 pm. There is no entry fee for visiting the temple. However, you may have to pay a nominal fee for special darshan or puja services.
How to Reach Mahalaxmi Temple- Kolhapur
The easiest way to reach Mahalaxmi Temple- Kolhapur is by road. You can take a bus or a taxi from Mumbai or Pune to reach Kolhapur city. From there, you can walk or take a rickshaw to reach the temple. The distance from the city to the temple is about 3 km.
Things to Do/Must See Mahalaxmi Temple- Kolhapur
There are many things to do and see at Mahalaxmi Temple- Kolhapur. Some of them are:
- Have a darshan of the Goddess. The main attraction of the temple is the idol of Goddess Mahalaxmi, which is made of black stone and adorned with jewels and flowers. The idol has four arms and holds a lotus, a mace, a shield, and a bowl of rice in them. The idol has a calm and benevolent expression on her face and radiates divine energy. You can have a darshan of the Goddess during the regular hours or during the special hours such as Kakad Aarti (early morning), Naivedya (noon), Shej Aarti (night), etc.
- Witness the festivals and rituals. The temple celebrates many festivals and rituals throughout the year that showcase the devotion and culture of the people. Some of them are Navratri (nine nights of worship), Kirnotsav (sun rays falling on the idol), Lalitha Panchami (fifth day of Navratri), Rathotsav (chariot festival), etc.
- Explore the temple’s architecture and history. The temple is a marvel of architecture and history that dates back to the 7th century CE. The temple has a complex structure that consists of various shrines, halls, pillars, domes, towers, etc. The temple has exquisite carvings and paintings on its walls and ceilings that depict various scenes from Hindu mythology and history. The temple also has some inscriptions and coins that reveal its historical significance.
- Visit the other temples and monuments nearby. You can also visit some other temples and monuments near the Mahalaxmi Temple that are worth seeing. Some of them are Ganapati Temple (dedicated to Lord Ganesha), Vishnu Temple (dedicated to Lord Vishnu), Bhavani Mandap (a historical palace), Rankala Lake (a scenic lake), Shahu Palace (a royal palace), Siddhagiri Museum (a wax museum), etc.
Significance of Mahalaxmi Temple- Kolhapur
Mahalaxmi Temple- Kolhapur is not only a tourist attraction but also a place of spiritual importance for the Hindus. The temple has many benefits and blessings for those who visit it with faith and devotion. Some of them are:
- The temple fulfills the wishes and desires of those who pray to the Goddess sincerely.
- The temple bestows wealth and prosperity on those who worship the Goddess regularly.
- The temple protects from evil and misfortune those who seek refuge in the Goddess.
- The temple grants wisdom and knowledge to those who meditate on the Goddess.
- The temple purifies and elevates the soul of those who serve the Goddess selflessly.
Here are some frequently asked questions about Mahalaxmi Temple- Kolhapur:
- Q: How much time does it take to explore the temple?
- A: It takes about 2 to 3 hours to explore the temple thoroughly.
- Q: Is there any accommodation facility near the temple?
- A: Yes, there are some hotels and lodges near the temple where you can stay overnight.
- Q: Is there any food or water facility at the temple?
- A: Yes, there are some canteens and stalls at the temple where you can buy prasad (offering) or snacks and water. However, it is advisable to carry your own food and water as well.
- Q: Is there any medical facility near the temple?
- A: No, there is no medical facility near the temple. You should carry your own first aid kit and medicines in case of any emergency.
Mahalaxmi Temple is a must-visit place for anyone who believes in God or wants to experience God’s grace. It is a place where you can have a direct connection with the Goddess who is the source of all wealth and happiness in this world. It is a place where you can feel the divine presence and power of the Goddess who is always ready to help and guide you in your life’s journey. It is a place that will leave you with peace and joy in your heart.