If you are looking for a place to enjoy the beauty and serenity of nature, then Rankala Lake in Kolhapur is a perfect destination for you. Rankala Lake is a beautiful and historical lake that was built by Chhatrapati Shahu Maharaj, the ruler of Kolhapur, in the 19th century. The lake is named after the Rankabhairav temple that is submerged in the lake famous tourist attraction in Kolhapur, Visit during Kolhapur Local sightseeing.
The lake is a popular picnic spot and a recreational center that offers a variety of activities and attractions for the visitors. In this article, we will tell you everything you need to know about Rankala Lake, including its location, timing/entry fees, how to reach, things to do/must see, significance, FAQs, and conclusion.
Location of Rankala Lake
Rankala Lake is located in the outskirts of Kolhapur city, in Maharashtra state. It is situated about 5 km from the Mahalaxmi Temple and 10 km from the Kolhapur Railway Station. The lake covers an area of about 107 acres and has a depth of about 10 feet.
Timing/Entry Fees Rankala Lake
The lake is open to visitors throughout the year, from 6 am to 8 pm. There is no entry fee for visiting the lake. However, you may have to pay a nominal fee for some activities or attractions at the lake.
How to Reach Rankala Lake
The easiest way to reach Rankala Lake is by road. You can take a bus or a taxi from Kolhapur city or Mumbai to reach the lake. You can also take a train to Kolhapur Railway Station and then take a rickshaw or a bus to reach the lake.
Things to Do/Must See Rankala Lake
There are many things to do and see at Rankala Lake. Some of them are:
- Enjoy the boating and water sports. You can enjoy boating on the lake with different types of boats such as paddle boats, row boats, motor boats, etc. You can also enjoy some water sports such as water scooter, jet ski, banana ride, etc. at the lake.
- Visit the Shalini Palace and Museum. You can also visit the Shalini Palace and Museum that is located on the banks of the lake. The palace was built by Chhatrapati Shahu Maharaj in 1931 as a summer resort for his wife Maharani Shalini Devi. The palace is now converted into a heritage hotel and a museum that displays some artifacts and photographs related to the history and culture of Kolhapur.
- Explore the Padpath Udyan and Nishigandha Garden. You can also explore the Padpath Udyan and Nishigandha Garden that are located near the lake. The Padpath Udyan is a walking track that surrounds the lake and offers a scenic view of the lake and its surroundings. The Nishigandha Garden is a flower garden that has various types of flowers and plants that add beauty and fragrance to the place.
- Experience the local culture and cuisine. You can interact with the local people who live near the lake and learn about their lifestyle and traditions. You can also taste some delicious local dishes such as misal pav, vada pav, kolhapuri thali, etc. at some stalls and restaurants near the lake.
Significance of Rankala Lake
Rankala Lake is not only a tourist attraction but also a place of historical and cultural importance for Kolhapur. The lake has witnessed many events and stories that shaped the history and culture of Kolhapur and India. Some of them are:
- The lake was built by Chhatrapati Shahu Maharaj in 1870 as a source of water supply for Kolhapur city.
- The lake was also used as a venue for some cultural programs and festivals such as Ganesh Chaturthi, Shiv Jayanti, etc.
- The lake was also visited by some famous personalities such as Mahatma Gandhi (the father of the nation), Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru (the first prime minister of India), Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar (the chief architect of Indian constitution), etc.
Q: How much time does it take to explore the lake?
A: It takes about 2 hours to explore the lake thoroughly.
Q: Is there any accommodation facility near the lake?
A: Yes, there are some hotels and lodges near the lake where you can stay overnight.
Q: Is there any food or water facility at the lake?
A: Yes, there are some canteens and stalls at the lake where you can buy snacks and water. However, it is advisable to carry your own food and water as well.
Q: Is there any medical facility near the lake?
A: No, there is no medical facility near the lake. You should carry your own first aid kit and medicines in case of any emergency.
Rankala Lake is a must-visit place for anyone who loves nature, history, culture, and fun. It is a place where you can enjoy the beauty and calmness of the lake, visit the historical and cultural monuments nearby, experience the local culture and cuisine of Kolhapur, and have some fun and adventure with your friends and family. It is a place that will leave you with happiness and satisfaction in your mind.