Marina Beach is a natural urban beach in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India, along the Bay of Bengal. It is one of the most famous tourist attractions in the city and the second longest urban beach in the world, after Cox’s Bazar Beach in Bangladesh The beach stretches from near Fort St. George in the north to Foreshore Estate in the south, a distance of 6 km (3.7 mi), making it a prominent landmark in Chennai The beach is known for its white sands, scenic views, cultural monuments, and recreational activities. Here is everything you need to know before you visit Marina Beach. Visit during Chennai One day tour by cab
Location of Marina Beach
Marina Beach is located on the eastern side of Chennai, facing the Bay of Bengal. It is easily accessible by road, rail, and metro from different parts of the city. The nearest railway station is Chepauk, which is about 1 km (0.6 mi) away from the beach. The nearest metro station is LIC, which is about 2 km (1.2 mi) away from the beach. You can also take buses, taxis, or auto-rickshaws to reach the beach from various locations.
Timing/Entry Fees Marina Beach
Marina Beach is open to the public 24 hours a day, seven days a week. There is no entry fee to visit the beach. However, you may have to pay for parking your vehicle or using some of the facilities on the beach. The best time to visit the beach is in the early morning or evening, when the weather is pleasant and the crowd is less.
How to Reach Marina Beach
There are many ways to reach Marina Beach from different parts of Chennai. Here are some of the options:
- By Road: You can drive your own vehicle or hire a taxi or an auto-rickshaw to reach the beach. There are several parking lots near the beach where you can park your vehicle for a nominal fee.
- By Rail: You can take a local train to Chepauk station, which is the closest railway station to the beach. From there, you can walk or take an auto-rickshaw to the beach.
- By Metro: You can take a metro train to LIC station, which is the closest metro station to the beach. From there, you can walk or take an auto-rickshaw to the beach.
- By Bus: You can take a bus to any of the bus stops near the beach, such as Anna Square, Light House, or Gandhi Statue. From there, you can walk or take an auto-rickshaw to the beach.
Things to Do/Must See Marina Beach
There are many things to do and see on Marina Beach that will make your visit memorable and enjoyable. Here are some of them:
- Enjoy the view: Marina Beach offers a stunning view of the Bay of Bengal and the Chennai skyline. You can watch the sunrise or sunset from the beach and admire the beauty of nature.
- Walk along the promenade: Marina Beach has a 6 km (3.7 mi) long promenade that runs along the shore. You can walk, jog, cycle, or skate along this paved path and enjoy the breeze and the scenery.
- Visit the monuments: Marina Beach has several monuments that showcase the rich cultural heritage of Chennai and Tamil Nadu. You can visit the statues of famous leaders and personalities such as Mahatma Gandhi, C.N. Annadurai, M.G. Ramachandran, Kamarajar, Thiruvalluvar, Bharathidasan, Subramania Bharati, and Kannagi. You can also visit the memorials of former chief ministers J. Jayalalithaa and M. Karunanidhi.
- Explore the lighthouse: Marina Beach has a lighthouse that was built in 1977 and is one of the few lighthouses in India that has an elevator. You can climb up to the top of the lighthouse and get a panoramic view of the city and the sea.
- Enjoy the food: Marina Beach has many food stalls and vendors that sell a variety of snacks and beverages. You can try some of the local delicacies such as sundal (boiled chickpeas with spices), bajji (deep-fried fritters), murukku (crispy rice flour snacks), ice cream, cotton candy, popcorn, and more.
- Have fun at the amusement park: Marina Beach has an amusement park called MGM Dizzee World that offers many rides and attractions for children and adults alike. You can enjoy roller coasters, water slides, Ferris wheels, carousels, and more at this park.
- Play games: Marina Beach has many games and activities that you can play with your friends and family. You can play cricket, volleyball, frisbee, kite flying, horse riding, and more on the beach. You can also rent a bicycle or a quad bike and ride along the shore.
Significance of Marina Beach
Marina Beach is not only a popular tourist destination but also a significant place for the people of Chennai and Tamil Nadu. The beach has witnessed many historical and cultural events that have shaped the identity and history of the region. Some of them are:
- The beach was the site of the first public demonstration of radio transmission in India by Jagadish Chandra Bose in 1895
- The beach was the venue for many political rallies and protests by various leaders and movements, such as the Dravidian movement, the anti-Hindi agitation, the anti-nuclear movement, and the Jallikattu protests.
- The beach was the place where many eminent personalities such as Rabindranath Tagore, Mahatma Gandhi, Jawaharlal Nehru, Indira Gandhi, Rajiv Gandhi, and A.P.J. Abdul Kalam addressed the masses.
- The beach was the location for many cultural and artistic events such as music concerts, film festivals, book fairs, and art exhibitions.
- The beach was the scene of a massive relief and rescue operation after the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami that devastated the coast.
Q: Is swimming allowed at Marina Beach?
A: No, swimming is not allowed at Marina Beach due to the strong undercurrents and waves. There are signboards and lifeguards on the beach to warn and prevent people from entering the water.
Q: Is parking available at Marina Beach?
A: Yes, parking is available at Marina Beach at various spots along the beach road. However, parking may be limited or crowded during peak hours or weekends.
Q: Are there any hotels or resorts near Marina Beach?
A: Yes, there are many hotels and resorts near Marina Beach that cater to different budgets and preferences. Some of them are The Leela Palace Chennai, Taj Club House, Radisson Blu Hotel Chennai City Centre, The Park Chennai, etc.
Marina Beach is one of the most popular and beautiful beaches in India. It offers a variety of things to do and see for visitors of all ages and interests. It is also a significant place for Chennai and India in terms of natural, cultural and social aspects. Marina Beach is a must-visit destination for anyone who wants to experience the charm and diversity of Chennai.