Murud beach is a beautiful and popular beach located near the town of Murud, in the Raigad district of Maharashtra, India. It is one of the best beaches along the Konkan coast and offers a relaxing and refreshing experience for visitors. It is also close to the historical and majestic Murud-Janjira fort, which is a major attraction in the region. Visit during Mumbai to Murud-Janjira Tour package By cab
Location of Murud Beach
Murud beach is situated about 2 km from the shore of Murud town, which is about 165 km south of Mumbai and 55 km from Alibag. The nearest railway station is Roha, which is about 50 km from Murud. The nearest airport is Mumbai, which is about 170 km from Murud.
Timing/Entry fees Murud Beach
Murud beach is open all day and all year round. There is no entry fee to visit the beach, but you may have to pay for parking, if you have a vehicle. You may also have to pay for some water sports activities or other facilities available at the beach.
How to Reach Murud Beach
The best way to reach Murud beach is by road. You can drive from Mumbai or Pune via Alibag or Panvel. The road is well-maintained and scenic, passing through green hills and coastal villages. You can also hire a private cab or a bus from Mumbai or Pune. Once you reach Murud town, you can take an auto-rickshaw or a walk to the beach.
History of Murud Beach
Murud beach has a long and rich history, as it was once part of the territory of the Siddis, who were originally from Abyssinia (present-day Ethiopia) and came to India as merchants and sailors. They settled in Janjira island and became rulers of the region under the patronage of the Nizamshahi and Adilshahi sultans of Deccan. They built the Murud-Janjira fort in the late 15th or early 16th century to protect themselves from pirates and invaders.
The beach was also visited by many famous personalities, such as Shivaji Maharaj, Sambhaji Maharaj, Peshwa Bajirao, Chhatrapati Shahu Maharaj, Lokmanya Tilak, etc. The beach was also a witness to many battles and events that shaped the history of Maharashtra and India.
Things to Do/Must see Murud Beach
Murud beach has many things to do and see for visitors. Some of them are:
- Enjoy the sun, sand and sea at the beach, which has a vast expanse of black sand with clear bluish water, stretching almost 1.75 km along the coastal line. The beach is clean and safe for swimming and bathing.
- Indulge in various water sports activities like banana boat ride, jet ski, parasailing, etc. or rent a bicycle or a horse cart to explore the beach. You can also play some games like volleyball, cricket, frisbee, etc. on the beach.
- Watch the sunset at the beach, which is extremely beautiful and mesmerizing. The view of the sun turning red over the Arabian Sea, with the impossibly located Padmadurg Fort, seemingly floating in the water, in the foreground, is a sight to behold.
- Visit the Murud-Janjira fort, which is a famous sea fort and tourist spot situated on an island just off the coastal town of Murud. It is one of the strongest coastal forts in India and has never been conquered by any enemy. It has 26 bastions, cannons, sculptures, ponds, mosque and palace. You can take a boat ride from Rajapuri jetty to reach the fort.
- Visit the palace of the Nawabs of Janjira at Murud town, which is still in good shape and has some interesting artifacts and paintings. You can also visit some other attractions near Murud town, such as Kasa Fort, Garambi Falls, Ahmedganj Palace, etc.
Significance of Murud Beach
Murud beach is a significant place for its natural and cultural value. It is a place where you can enjoy the beauty of nature and relax your mind and body. It is also a place where you can learn about the history and culture of the Siddis, who ruled this region for centuries. It is also a place where you can witness the harmony between different religions and communities.
Q: Is there any accommodation available near Murud beach?
A: Yes, there are many hotels and resorts available near Murud town or Kashid beach that offer comfortable stay options for visitors. You can also find some homestays or cottages that offer a more authentic and rustic experience.
Q: What are the best time and season to visit Murud beach?
A: The best time to visit Murud beach is from October to March, when the weather is pleasant and the sea is calm. The monsoon season from June to September should be avoided, as the sea becomes rough and the beach may get flooded.
Q: What are the safety and security measures at Murud beach?
A: Murud beach is a safe and secure place for visitors. There are lifeguards and police available at the beach who can assist you with any queries or issues. You should also follow some basic safety precautions, such as wearing life jackets while on the water sports activities, avoiding swimming in the deep sea, carrying enough water and snacks, etc.
Q: What are the other attractions near Murud beach?
A: Apart from Murud beach, you can also visit some other attractions near Murud town, such as:
Murud-Janjira fort, which is a famous sea fort and tourist spot situated on an island just off the coastal town of Murud. It is one of the strongest coastal forts in India and has never been conquered by any enemy.
Kasa Fort, which is another sea fort located about 15 km from Murud town. It was built by the Portuguese in the 16th century and later captured by the Marathas.
Garambi Falls, which is a scenic waterfall located about 5 km from Murud town. It is a popular picnic spot and has a small dam nearby.
Ahmedganj Palace, which is a grand palace built by the Siddis in the 18th century. It has a beautiful garden and a museum that displays some rare artifacts and paintings.
Murud beach is a scenic and serene beach near Mumbai that offers a relaxing and refreshing experience for visitors. It is a place where you can enjoy the sun, sand and sea and indulge in various water sports activities. It is also a place where you can visit the historical and majestic Murud-Janjira fort, which is a major attraction in the region. It is a place that you should not miss if you are travelling in Maharashtra.