Sahastradhara, meaning thousandfold spring, is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Uttarakhand and is situated about 14 km from the city of Dehradun. It is a waterfall that cascades through limestone stalactites, making the water rich in sulphur. The water is believed to have medicinal properties and can cure various skin diseases and infections. The waterfall also forms a pool where visitors can take a dip and enjoy the natural beauty of the place. Visit during One Day Dehradun Local Sightseeing Trip by Private Cab
Sahastradhara place also has a ropeway, a park, a museum and a temple that add to its attraction. In this article, we will explore the various aspects of this place, such as its location, timing, entry fees, how to reach, things to do, must see, significance, FAQs, and conclusion.
Location of Sahastradhara
Sahastradhara is located at Tapkeshwar Colony, Garhi Cantt, Dehradun in Uttarakhand. It is situated near Robbers Cave and Tapkeshwar Mahadev Temple on the banks of the Baldi river. The place is surrounded by green hills and has a serene atmosphere.
Timing / Entry Fees Sahastradhara
The place is open for visitors from 8:00 am to 7:00 pm every day. There is no entry fee for visiting the place. However, visitors have to pay a fee for using the ropeway and the park near the waterfall. The fee for the ropeway is INR 200 per person and the fee for the park is INR 20 per perso.
How to Reach Sahastradhara
The place is well-connected by road from various parts of Uttarakhand and nearby states. The nearest airport to the place is Jolly Grant airport in Dehradun, which is about 32 km away from Dehradun. The nearest railway station to the place is Dehradun railway station, which is about 7 km away from Dehradun. There are regular buses and taxis available from the airport and the railway station to the place.
Alternatively, visitors can also take a shared auto-rickshaw or a cycle-rickshaw from Lakshman Jhula or Ram Jhula to reach the place. The fare ranges from Rs 10 to Rs 20 per person.
Things to Do / Must See Sahastradhara
The main attraction of Sahastradhara is the waterfall itself, which is a natural wonder with sulphur water that has healing properties. Visitors can take a bath in the water and enjoy its therapeutic effects. Visitors can also enjoy the scenic views of the hills and the river from the waterfall. Some of the things to do and see at Sahastradhara are:
- The Waterfall: The waterfall is one of the highlights of the place that can be seen from a distance as well as up close. The waterfall has a height of about 9 metres and creates a beautiful sight with its spray and sound. Visitors can stand under the waterfall and enjoy a natural shower.
- The Pool: The pool is formed by the water of the waterfall and has a depth of about 5 metres. The pool has clear and cold water that is refreshing and soothing for the skin. Visitors can swim in the pool or just sit on its edge and relax.
- The Ropeway: The ropeway is an adventurous and thrilling activity that involves riding a cable car from one hilltop to another across the river valley. The ropeway offers panoramic views of the waterfall, the river and the hills. Visitors can also see some caves and temples on their way.
- The Park: The park is an ideal place for visitors to relax and enjoy their food with their family and friends. There are several benches and tables available near the waterfall where visitors can sit and eat their food. There are also some shops nearby that sell snacks, drinks and souvenirs.
- The Museum: The museum is located near the park and showcases various fossils, rocks and minerals that are found in Uttarakhand. The museum also has some models of dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals that are interesting for children.
- The Temple: The temple is located near the museum and is dedicated to Lord Shiva. The temple has a simple architecture and a peaceful ambiance. Visitors can offer their prayers and worship to the idol of Shiva that is placed inside the temple.
Significance of Sahastradhara
Sahastradhara is not only a tourist attraction but also a place of natural and cultural importance that has a lot of significance for locals and others. The place is named after its thousandfold spring that flows through the limestone rocks and forms the waterfall. The water is rich in sulphur and has medicinal properties that can cure various skin diseases and infections.
The place is also a place of religious and spiritual significance, as it is believed to be the abode of Lord Shiva. The place is also a place of natural beauty and tranquility, where visitors can experience the wonders of nature and its healing powers.
Q: What is the best time to visit Sahastradhara?
A: The best time to visit Sahastradhara is during the summer months from April to October. The weather is pleasant and the water is clear and cool. The place is also less crowded and you can enjoy the beauty of the place without any hassle.
Q: What are the things to carry for visiting Sahastradhara?
A: Some of the things to carry for visiting Sahastradhara are:
Water bottle and snacks
Extra pair of clothes and shoes
Towel and soap
Camera and binoculars
Umbrella and raincoat
Q: What are the other places to visit near Sahastradhara?
A: Some of the other places to visit near Sahastradhara are:
Robbers Cave: A natural river cave with a mysterious history that attracts adventure seekers.
Tapkeshwar Mahadev Temple: A temple of Lord Shiva with a dripping shivling that attracts devotees.
Malsi Deer Park: A mini zoo and a park that houses various animals and birds.
Sahastradhara Dehradun is a thousandfold spring with sulphur water that attracts thousands of visitors every year who seek natural, cultural and spiritual experiences. It is a place where you can experience history, architecture and art at the same time. It is a place where you can create unforgettable memories with your family and friends. So, what are you waiting for? Plan your trip to Sahastradhara Dehradun today!.