Bhopal, the capital city of Madhya Pradesh, is famous for its lakes that add to its charm and beauty. Among the many lakes that the city boasts of, the Upper Lake or Bhojtal is the largest and the most magnificent one. It is not only a source of drinking water for the city but also a place of recreation, tourism and heritage. Here are some of the reasons why you should visit this lake when you are in Bhopal. Famous tourist attraction in Bhopal visit during Bhopal local sightseeing by cab
Location OF Upper Lake
The Upper Lake is located on the western side of the city and covers an area of 31 km 2. It is surrounded by Van Vihar National Park on the south, human settlements on the east and north, and agriculture fields on the west. The lake is fed by the Kolans River and drains into the Kaliasote River through a dam at Bhadbhada.
Timing/Entry Fees Upper Lake
The lake is open to visitors throughout the year and there is no entry fee for visiting the lake. However, there may be some charges for availing various facilities and activities at the lake such as boating, kayaking, jet skiing, etc.
How to Reach Upper Lake
You can reach the lake by various modes of transport such as bus, cab or auto. There are frequent buses that ply from different parts of the city to the lake. You can also hire a cab or an auto from any point in the city to reach the lake.
Things to do/Must See Upper Lake
There are many things to do and see at the Upper Lake. Some of them are:
- Enjoy boating on the lake. You can choose from different types of boats such as paddle boats, motor boats, speed boats, etc. You can also try kayaking or jet skiing for some adventure.
- Visit the Kamla Park, which is a beautiful garden on the banks of the lake. You can relax in the greenery, enjoy the views of the lake and watch various birds and animals.
- Explore the Van Vihar National Park, which is a wildlife sanctuary adjacent to the lake. You can see various species of animals such as tigers, lions, leopards, bears, crocodiles, etc. in their natural habitat.
- Visit the Shaurya Smarak, which is a war memorial and museum near the lake. You can learn about the history and sacrifices of the Indian armed forces and pay tribute to them.
- Visit the Raja Bhoj statue, which is a huge statue of Raja Bhoj standing with a sword on a pillar on one corner of the lake. It was installed in 2011 to honour Raja Bhoj who built
Significance of Upper Lake
The Upper Lake is not only a place of leisure but also a place of historical and ecological importance. The lake has witnessed many events and personalities that have shaped the history and culture of Bhopal. Some of them are:
- The lake was built by Raja Bhoj, the legendary king of Malwa, in the 11th century. He is also said to have founded the city of Bhopal (then known as Bhojpal) to secure his eastern frontier. According to a legend, he built the lake to cure his skin disease by bathing in its water.
- The lake was visited by many rulers and leaders such as Aurangzeb, Shah Jahan, Dost Mohammad Khan, Nawab Hamidullah Khan, Mahatma Gandhi, Jawaharlal Nehru, etc.
- The lake was the site of the first battle of Bhopal in 1737, when the Marathas attacked the Nawab of Bhopal and were defeated by his army.
- The lake was also the site of the second battle of Bhopal in 1818, when the British forces attacked the Nawab of Bhopal and were repulsed by his army.
- The lake is a part of the Bhoj Wetland, which is a Ramsar site and a biodiversity hotspot. The wetland supports a variety of flora and fauna such as lotus, water lilies, water hyacinth, fish, turtles, crocodiles, migratory birds, etc.
Q: Is swimming allowed in the lake?
A: No, swimming is not allowed in the lake for safety and hygiene reasons.
Q: Is fishing allowed in the lake?
A: Yes, fishing is allowed in the lake with a valid license from the fisheries department.
Q: Is camping allowed near the lake?
A: No, camping is not allowed near the lake as it is a protected area.
The Upper Lake is a must-visit destination for anyone who wants to experience the natural and historical beauty of Bhopal. The lake is not only a source of water but also a source of joy and inspiration. The lake offers a range of activities and attractions for all kinds of visitors. Whether you are a nature lover, a history buff or an adventure seeker, you will find something to admire and enjoy at the Upper Lake.