Abbey Falls, also known as Abbi Falls, is a waterfall in Kodagu, in the Western Ghats of Karnataka, India. It is located 8 km from the Madikeri, the district headquarters of Coorg. It is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Coorg, attracting thousands of visitors every year. The waterfall is formed by several streams that join together and fall from a height of 70 feet into a pool that flows into the River Kaveri famous tourist attraction in Coorg. The waterfall is surrounded by lush green coffee and spice plantations, creating a scenic and aromatic ambience. Visit during Coorg Local Sightseeing by cab
Location of Abbey Falls
Abbey Falls is located near Abbey Falls Road, Madikeri, Karnataka 571201. It is about 10 km from Madikeri town and can be reached by road via SH27.
Timing/Entry Fees Abbey Falls
Abbey Falls is open to visitors from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm on all days of the week. The entry fee is Rs. 15 per person and the vehicle parking fee ranges from Rs. 10 to Rs. 50 depending on the type of vehicle.
How to Reach Abbey Falls
There are various modes of transport available to reach Abbey Falls from different parts of Karnataka and India.
- By air: The nearest airports are Mysore (122 km), Mangalore (144 km) and Bangalore (268 km). From there, one can take a taxi or a bus to Madikeri and then hire an autorickshaw or a taxi to Abbey Falls.
- By train: The nearest railway stations are Mysore (115 km), Hassan (105 km) and Mangalore (135 km). From there, one can take a bus or a taxi to Madikeri and then hire an autorickshaw or a taxi to Abbey Falls.
- By road: Coorg is well connected by road with other cities and towns in Karnataka and neighboring states. There are regular government and private buses that ply to Madikeri from various places. One can also drive to Madikeri by car or bike and then hire an autorickshaw or a taxi to Abbey Falls.
Things to Do/Must See Abbey Falls
Abbey Falls is a place of natural beauty and adventure that offers a lot of things to do and see for the visitors.
- Enjoy the view of the waterfall from the hanging bridge that spans across the stream. The bridge offers a vantage point to witness the cascading water and the misty spray.
- Take a walk through the coffee and spice plantations that surround the waterfall. The plantations are home to various kinds of flora and fauna, such as pepper vines, cardamom plants, orchids, butterflies and birds.
- Indulge in some photography and capture the stunning scenery of the waterfall and the plantations. The best time to visit Abbey Falls for photography is during the monsoon season (July to October), when the waterfall is at its fullest and the greenery is at its richest.
- Relax and unwind in the cool and refreshing atmosphere of the waterfall. Listen to the soothing sound of the water and enjoy the fragrance of the spices.
- Visit the nearby temple dedicated to Goddess Kali, which is located close to the bridge. The temple is a small shrine that attracts many devotees.
Nearby Tourist Attractions Abbey Falls
There are many other tourist attractions near Abbey Falls that one can explore while visiting Coorg. Some of them are:
- Raja’s Seat: A scenic spot that offers a stunning view of the sunset and the valley below. It was once a favorite place of the Kodava kings to relax and enjoy nature.
- Madikeri Fort: A historic fort that dates back to the 17th century. It was rebuilt by Tipu Sultan and later by the British. It houses a museum, a temple, a church and a prison.
- Omkareshwara Temple: A beautiful temple dedicated to Lord Shiva, built in 1820 by King Lingarajendra. It has a mix of Islamic and Gothic styles of architecture, with a dome, four minarets and a pond in the center.
- Mandalpatti: A hill station that offers a breathtaking view of the misty mountains and green valleys. It is ideal for trekking, camping and photography.
Significance of Abbey Falls
Abbey Falls is a significant attraction in Coorg for its natural beauty and ecological importance. It is one of the major sources of water for the River Kaveri, which is considered as a lifeline for many regions in South India. It is also one of the most visited places in Coorg for its scenic charm and peaceful surroundings. It is a place that appeals to nature lovers, adventure seekers, photographers and pilgrims alike.
Q: What is the best time to visit Abbey Falls?
A: The best time to visit The Falls is during the monsoon season (July to October), when the waterfall is at its fullest and the greenery is at its richest. However, one should be careful while walking on the slippery path and the bridge.
Q: How long does it take to explore Abbey Falls?
A: It takes about an hour to explore the Falls and its surroundings. One can also spend some more time relaxing in the cool and refreshing atmosphere of the waterfall.
Q: Is bathing allowed in Abbey Falls?
A: No, bathing is not allowed in The Falls due to safety reasons. The water is deep and the current is strong, which can be dangerous for the visitors.
Abbey Falls is a must-visit place for anyone who wants to experience the natural beauty and adventure of Coorg. It is a waterfall that showcases the glory and grace of nature, with its cascading water and lush green plantations. It is also a place that offers a serene and scenic escape from the hustle and bustle of the city life.