Ana Sagar Lake is a beautiful artificial lake that is located in the city of Ajmer in Rajasthan, India. It was built by Arnoraja (alias Ana), the grandfather of Prithviraj Chauhan, between 1135 and 1150 AD and is named after him. The lake is spread over 13 km (8.1 mi) and has a depth of 4.4 m (14 ft). The lake is surrounded by Daulat Bagh Gardens, a splendid garden full of vast open spaces and lush greenery, and Baradari, a pavilion with five arches built by Shah Jahan. Famous tourist attraction in Ajmer, visit during Ajmer Tour Package.
The lake also has an island in the center that can be accessed by boat. The lake is one of the main tourist attractions in Ajmer and offers a serene and scenic view of the city. Here are some details that will help you plan your visit to Ana Sagar Lake:
Location of Ana Sagar Lake
Ana Sagar Lake is located in Ajmer city, which is about 135 km from Jaipur, the capital of Rajasthan. Ajmer is well-connected by road, rail and air to other major cities in India. The lake is situated near the Akbari Fort and Museum and the Dargah Sharif of Khwaja Moinuddin Chishti. It is about 2 km from the main central Ajmer railway station and 500 metres from the central jail.
Timing/Entry Fees Ana Sagar Lake
Ana Sagar Lake is open to visitors throughout the year. The timings are from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm on weekdays and from 8:00 am to 10:00 pm on Sundays. There is no entry fee to visit Ana Sagar Lake, but photography is allowed inside the lake.
How to Reach Ana Sagar Lake
Ana Sagar Lake can be reached from Ajmer city by various modes of transport. You can take a bus, taxi or auto-rickshaw from Ajmer to Ana Sagar Lake. The bus fare is around Rs. 10 per person and the taxi fare is around Rs. 100 per trip. You can also take a cycle-rickshaw or walk from Ajmer to Ana Sagar Lake. The cycle-rickshaw fare is around Rs. 20 per person and the walking distance is about 2 km.
Things to Do/Must See Ana Sagar Lake
Ana Sagar Lake has many things to do and see for travellers of all interests and faiths. Here are some of the must-see attractions in Ana Sagar Lake:
- Enjoy boating or water scooter rides on the lake, which offer a refreshing and fun experience. You can hire boats or water scooters from the east side of Daulat Bagh.
- Visit Daulat Bagh Gardens, which is a magnificent garden that was built by Emperor Jahangir in 1616 AD as a token of gratitude for his son’s birth after visiting the Dargah Sharif. The garden has a large open space with fountains, trees and flowers.
- See Baradari, which is a pavilion with five arches that was built by Shah Jahan in 1637 AD as a tribute to his wife Mumtaz Mahal. The pavilion has a marble facade and a spacious courtyard with fountains.
- Witness the sunset at Rishi Udyan, which is a park on the bank of the lake that has an Arya Samaj temple and a memorial for Dayananda Saraswati, who was a Hindu reformer and founder of Arya Samaj. The park offers a stunning view of the lake and the city during sunset.
- Visit the nearby attractions such as Akbari Fort and Museum, which is a fort built by Akbar that houses a museum with various artifacts and paintings; Dargah Sharif of Khwaja Moinuddin Chishti, which is one of the most sacred shrines for Muslims in India; Taragarh Fort, which is a hill fort that offers a panoramic view of Ajmer city; Adhai Din Ka Jhonpra, which is a historical mosque built by Qutb-ud-Din Aibak in the 12th century; Soniji Ki Nasiyan, which is a Jain temple that has a chamber with gold-plated wooden figures depicting Jain mythology and history.
Significance of Ana Sagar Lake
Ana Sagar Lake is significant for its historical, cultural and natural value. It is a place where you can witness the legacy of Arnoraja (alias Ana), who was a Chauhan king and the grandfather of Prithviraj Chauhan, who built the lake with the help of local people. It is also a place where you can witness the harmony and tolerance of different religions and cultures, as the lake is visited by people of all faiths and backgrounds. It is also a place where you can appreciate the beauty and tranquility of nature, as the lake offers a serene and scenic view of the city and the hills.
Q: What are some of the other lakes near Ana Sagar Lake?
A: Some of the other lakes near Ana Sagar Lake are:
Foy Sagar Lake, which is an artificial lake that was built by an English engineer named Mr. Foy in 1892 AD as a famine relief project. The lake has a shape of a pear and offers a picturesque view of the Aravalli hills.
Pushkar Lake, which is a sacred lake that is surrounded by 52 ghats and 400 temples. The lake is believed to have been created by Lord Brahma and is one of the five sacred pilgrimage sites for Hindus.
Mansagar Lake, which is an artificial lake that was created by damming the Dravyavati river in Jaipur. The lake has a famous attraction called Jal Mahal, which is a palace that floats in the middle of the lake.
Q: What are some of the best places to stay in Ajmer?
A: Some of the best places to stay in Ajmer are:
Hotel Mansingh Palace, which is a luxury hotel that offers elegant rooms and suites with modern amenities and views of the Ana Sagar lake. It also has a restaurant, a bar, a pool and a spa.
Hotel Regal, which is a budget hotel that offers comfortable rooms and suites with basic amenities and services. It also has a restaurant, a coffee shop and a banquet hall.
Hotel Chitvan, which is a boutique hotel that offers spacious rooms and suites with contemporary decor and facilities. It also has a restaurant, a garden, a pool and a library.
Q: What are some of the best souvenirs to buy from Ajmer?
A: Some of the best souvenirs to buy from Ajmer are:
Prasad (offering), such as chadar (cloth), flowers, perfume and sweets, that are blessed by the Dargah Sharif and given to the devotees.
Spices, such as saffron, cardamom, cloves and nutmeg, that are grown in Rajasthan and have a rich aroma and flavour.
Handicrafts, such as leather products, pottery items, marble articles and paintings, that are made by local artisans and reflect the culture and tradition of Rajasthan.
Textiles, such as bandhani (tie-dye), leheriya (wave pattern) and gota patti (golden lace), that are dyed and embroidered by skilled craftsmen and have unique patterns and colours.
Ana Sagar Lake is a destination that offers something for everyone. Whether you are interested in history, culture, religion or nature, you will find something to enjoy and appreciate in Ana Sagar Lake. It is a place where you can experience the past and the present in harmony. Ana Sagar Lake is a place that you should not miss when you visit Ajmer.