Bear Shola Falls is a seasonal waterfall located in the shola forests of Kodaikanal, a hill station in Tamil Nadu, India. The waterfall derives its name from the fact that bears used to frequent this place for drinking water. The waterfall is about 3 km (1.9 miles) away from the Kodaikanal bus stand and 2 km (1.2 miles) away from the Kodaikanal Lake. The waterfall is a popular picnic spot and a trekking destination for nature lovers and adventure seekers. Visit during Kodaikanal One day tour by cab
Location of Bear Shola Falls
Bear Shola Falls is located at Bear Shola Road, 3 km from Kodaikanal bus stand, Kodaikanal, Tamil Nadu 624101, India. It is situated in the Reserve Forest area, which is rich in biodiversity and wildlife. The waterfall can be reached by a short trek of about 1 km (0.6 miles) from the main road, through a narrow and rocky path.
Timing/Entry Fees Bear Shola Falls
Bear Shola Falls is open to the public daily, including Sundays (excluding public holidays) between 10:00 am and 06:00 pm. There is no entry fee for visiting the waterfall, but visitors are requested to follow the rules and regulations of the forest department and respect the environment and wildlife. Visitors are also advised to avoid littering and damaging the waterfall premises.
How to Reach Bear Shola Falls
There are many ways to reach Bear Shola Falls from different parts of Kodaikanal and nearby areas. Some of the common modes of transport are:
- By Road: Bear Shola Falls is well-connected by road with various parts of the city and nearby towns. There are many buses, taxis, auto-rickshaws and cycle-rickshaws that ply to and from the waterfall. The main road, also known as Lake Road or NH44, runs parallel to the coast and has signboards indicating the direction to the waterfall.
- By Rail: Bear Shola Falls can be reached by train from various railway stations in Kodaikanal and nearby areas. The nearest railway station is Kodai Road, which is about 80 km (50 miles) away from the waterfall. Other nearby railway stations are Palani, Dindigul and Madurai. From these stations, one can take a taxi or a bus to reach the waterfall.
- By Air: Bear Shola Falls can also be reached by air from various airports in Tamil Nadu and Kerala. The nearest airport is at Madurai, which is about 135 km (84 miles) away from the waterfall. Other nearby airports are Coimbatore, Trichy and Kochi. From these airports, one can take a taxi or a bus to reach the waterfall.
Things to Do/Must See Bear Shola Falls
Bear Shola Falls offers a variety of activities and attractions for visitors who want to enjoy the natural beauty and charm of the waterfall and its surroundings. Some of the things to do and see at the waterfall are:
- Trekking: Trekking is one of the most popular activities at Bear Shola Falls. Visitors can enjoy a short trek of about 1 km (0.6 miles) from the main road to the waterfall, through a narrow and rocky path. The trek offers a scenic view of the shola forests, the hills, the valleys and the plains. The trek is suitable for beginners as well as experienced trekkers.
- Picnicking: Picnicking is another fun activity at Bear Shola Falls. Visitors can relax and unwind at the base of the waterfall, where there are benches and rocks to sit on. Visitors can also enjoy some snacks and beverages from the nearby shops and stalls.
- Photography: Photography is also an option at Bear Shola Falls for those who love capturing nature’s beauty. Visitors can take some stunning pictures of the waterfall, which has a height of about 15 m (49 feet) and a width of about 10 m (33 feet). The waterfall is best seen during the monsoon season, when it gushes down with full force and splendor.
- Visiting the other attractions: Bear Shola Falls also has some other attractions nearby that visitors can explore. Some of them are:
- Kodaikanal Solar Observatory: Kodaikanal Solar Observatory is an astronomical observatory that is located about 0.5 km (0.3 miles) from the waterfall. The observatory was established in 1899 by the British and is one of the oldest solar observatories in India. The observatory has various instruments such as telescopes, spectrographs, cameras etc for studying the sun and its phenomena.
- Kodai Lake: Kodai Lake is a manmade lake that is located about 2 km (1.2 miles) from the waterfall. The lake was created in 1863 by Sir Vere Henry Levinge, who converted a marshy land into a lake by constructing a bund and bringing water from three streams. The lake has a star-shaped appearance and is surrounded by lush green hills. The lake offers various activities such as boating, cycling, horse riding etc.
- Coaker’s Walk: Coaker’s Walk is a scenic walking path that is located about 1.2 km (0.7 miles) from the waterfall. The walk offers a panoramic view of the lake, the hills, the valleys and the plains. The walk is open from 07:00 am to 07:00 pm and charges Rs. 10 for adults and Rs. 5 for children as entry fee.
Significance of Bear Shola Falls
Bear Shola Falls is not only a tourist attraction but also a significant place for Kodaikanal and Tamil Nadu. Some of the reasons why Bear Shola Falls is important are:
- It is a natural waterfall that showcases the beauty and diversity of nature in Kodaikanal. The waterfall is situated in the shola forests, which are evergreen forests that are unique to the Western Ghats. The waterfall also has various flora and fauna such as kurinji flowers, eucalyptus trees, bears, monkeys etc.
- It is a cultural waterfall that showcases the influence and integration of different cultures and communities in Kodaikanal. The waterfall attracts visitors from different parts of India and the world, who come to enjoy the various activities and attractions at the waterfall. The waterfall also celebrates various festivals and events, such as summer festival, flower show etc.
Q: Is photography allowed at Bear Shola Falls?
A: Yes, photography is allowed at Bear Shola Falls for personal use only. However, visitors are requested to be respectful and discreet while taking photographs and not to disturb or offend anyone.
Q: Are there any facilities or amenities at Bear Shola Falls?
A: Yes, there are some facilities and amenities at Bear Shola Falls, such as toilets, drinking water, benches, parking etc. There are also some shops and stalls near the waterfall that sell snacks, beverages, souvenirs etc.
Q: Are there any other attractions or places near Bear Shola Falls?
A: Yes, there are some other attractions or places near Bear Shola Falls, such as Kodaikanal Solar Observatory, Kodai Lake, Coaker’s Walk etc.
Bear Shola Falls is a seasonal waterfall located in the shola forests of Kodaikanal, a hill station in Tamil Nadu, India. The waterfall derives its name from the fact that bears used to frequent this place for drinking water. The waterfall is about 3 km (1.9 miles) away from the Kodaikanal bus stand and 2 km (1.2 miles) away from the Kodaikanal Lake. The waterfall is a popular picnic spot and a trekking destination for nature lovers and adventure seekers. Bear Shola Falls is a must-visit destination for anyone who wants to enjoy the natural beauty and charm of the waterfall and its surroundings in Kodaikanal.