Lamb’s Rock is a tourist spot in Coonoor, a hill station near Ooty, Tamil Nadu, India. It is located on the slopes of the Nilgiri Hills, about 8 kilometers from Coonoor bus stand. It is named after Captain Lamb who made earnest attempts to open a path to the place. It is also called by Mr.E.B.Thomas, a former collector of Coimbatore. It is one of the popular viewing points in Coonoor and a favorite place for picnic parties.
Location of Lamb’s Rock
Lamb’s Rock is situated in Burliar village and is a point on the way to Dolphin’s Nose. The rock is a sheer precipice of jagged rock that drops down several hundred feet to bury itself in the luxuriant jungle below. It offers a spectacular view of the Coimbatore plains, the Hulical ravine and the Coonoor stream.
Timing / Entry Fees Lamb’s Rock
Lamb’s Rock is open from 8:30 am to 6:30 pm on all days of the week. The entry fee is Rs. 10 per person. The camera fee is Rs. 20 and the video camera fee is Rs. 50.
How to Reach Lamb’s Rock
Lamb’s Rock can be reached by road from Coonoor or Ooty. You can take a bus, taxi or auto-rickshaw to reach the spot. You can also hire a private vehicle or a bike for more convenience. You will have to climb through an uphill road through the woods to reach the viewing point.
Things to Do / Must See Lamb’s Rock
Lamb’s Rock offers a scenic beauty, a cool breeze and a lush greenery of the place. You can enjoy the panoramic view of the surrounding landscape and spot some birds and monkeys on the way. You can also visit the nearby attractions such as Lady Canning’s Seat, Dolphin’s Nose and Heritage Train.
- Lady Canning’s Seat: This is another view point near Lamb’s Rock that offers a splendid view of the Nilgiri Hills and the tea estates.
- Dolphin’s Nose: This is a unique rock formation that resembles a dolphin’s nose. It offers a breathtaking view of the Catherine Falls and the valley below.
- Heritage Train: This is a toy train that runs between Mettupalayam and Ooty via Coonoor. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and offers a scenic ride through the hills, tunnels and bridges.
Significance of Lamb’s Rock
Lamb’s Rock is a place of historical and natural significance. It is named after Captain Lamb who was an adventurous explorer and tried to make a path to the place. It was also called by Mr.E.B.Thomas who was a collector of Coimbatore and appreciated the beauty of the place. It is one of the popular viewing points in Coonoor and attracts many tourists and nature lovers.
- Q: What is the best time to visit Lamb’s Rock?
- A: The best time to visit Lamb’s Rock is from October to March when the weather is pleasant and clear. You can also visit during the monsoon season from June to September when the place becomes more green and misty.
- Q: What are the facilities available at Lamb’s Rock?
- A: There are basic facilities available at Lamb’s Rock such as parking, toilets, drinking water, etc. There are also some shops and stalls that sell snacks, beverages, souvenirs, etc.
- Q: What are some tips for visiting Lamb’s Rock?
- A: Some tips for visiting Lamb’s Rock are:
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothes as you will have to trek to reach the spot.
- Carry water, snacks and a camera to capture the views.
- Be careful while walking on the edge of the rock as it is very steep and slippery.
- Do not litter or feed the animals at the place.
- Respect the local culture and environment.
Lamb’s Rock in Ooty is a scenic spot in Coonoor that offers a stunning view of the surrounding landscape. It is a place of historical and natural significance that attracts many tourists and nature lovers. It is a perfect place for a picnic, a trek or a photography session. If you are looking for a refreshing and relaxing getaway in Ooty or Coonoor, Lamb’s Rock is a must-visit destination.