Nahargarh Fort is a majestic and historic fort that stands on the edge of the Aravalli Hills, overlooking the city of Jaipur in Rajasthan. The fort was built by Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh II, the founder of Jaipur, in 1734 as a defensive structure and a place of retreat for the royal family and famous tourist attraction in Jaipur. Visit during Jaipur Local sightseeing.
The fort was later expanded and renovated by his successors and witnessed some historical events such as the treaties with the Marathas and the Indian Mutiny of 1857. The fort is also known for its splendid architecture, scenic views, and cultural significance. In this article, we will explore the location, timing, entry fees, significance, things to do, and some frequently asked questions about this splendid fort.
Location of Nahargarh Fort
Nahargarh Fort is located in Krishna Nagar, Brahampuri, Jaipur, Rajasthan. It is about 17 km from Jaipur Airport and 6 km from Jaipur Railway Station. The fort can be easily reached by road or rail from Jaipur or other nearby cities. The fort is situated on the oldest mountain range of the world, the Aravalli Hills, and offers a panoramic view of the city of Jaipur.
Timing / Entry Fees Nahargarh Fort
Nahargarh Fort is open to visitors every day from 10:00 am to 5:30 pm. The entry fee for visiting the fort is 50 rupees per person for Indians and 200 rupees per person for foreign tourists. Students enjoy discounted prices of 5 rupees per person for Indian students and 25 rupees per person for foreign students. Photography is allowed at the fort but visitors are advised to be careful and follow the instructions of the staff.
How to Reach Nahargarh Fort
Nahargarh Fort can be easily reached by road or rail from Jaipur or other nearby cities. The most convenient way to reach the fort is by road as it is well-connected by the NH-48 and NH-52 highways. There are also buses and taxis available from Jaipur that ply regularly to Nahargarh Fort.
Another way to reach the fort is by rail as it has a railway station that lies on the main line between Delhi and Mumbai. There are many trains that stop at Nahargarh Fort station from both cities such as Ajmer Shatabdi Express , Mandore Express , Ranikhet Express etc. The railway station is about 2 km from the main gate of the fort.
Things to Do / Must See Nahargarh Fort
Nahargarh Fort has a lot to offer for visitors who want to enjoy history, culture, nature, or adventure. Some of the things to do and must see in Nahargarh Fort are:
- Visit the Madhavendra Bhawan , a palace complex that was built by Maharaja Sawai Madho Singh II for his nine queens and himself. The palace has a series of interconnected suites that are decorated with paintings, frescoes, carvings, and furniture. The palace also has a museum that displays various artefacts related to the history and culture of Jaipur.
- Visit the Nahargarh Biological Park , a zoological park that was established in 1981 within the premises of Nahargarh Fort. The park has various species of animals such as tigers , lions , leopards , bears , deer etc that are kept in natural habitats. The park also has a bird park that houses various species of birds such as peacocks , parrots , owls etc.
- Visit the Baori , a stepwell that was built by Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh II near Nahargarh Fort. The stepwell has nine storeys that are connected by stairs and arches. The stepwell was used as a water reservoir and a place of recreation for the royal family.
- Visit the Jaigarh Fort , another historic fort that was built by Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh II in 1726 as a complementary structure to Nahargarh Fort. The fort has a massive cannon called Jaivana that is said to be the world’s largest cannon on wheels. The fort also has various structures such as armory , museum , palace etc that showcase its past glory.
- Enjoy some adventure activities such as cycling , trekking , rappelling etc at various places such as Nahargarh Cycling Trail , Nahargarh Trekking Trail , Nahargarh Rappelling Point etc.
- Enjoy some shopping at various markets such as Amer Road Market , Tripolia Bazaar Market etc where one can buy local specialties such as lac bangles , blue pottery , puppets , quilts etc.
Significance of Nahargarh Fort
Nahargarh Fort is a significant place for several reasons. It is one of the most prominent forts in Rajasthan that showcases the royal legacy and heritage of Jaipur. It is also one of the most popular tourist attractions in Jaipur that attracts visitors from all over the world.
The fort is also a historical place that reflects the rich cultural diversity and harmony of Rajasthan. The fort has various temples and shrines that depict the religious faith and devotion of different communities such as Hindu , Muslim , Jain , Sikh etc.
The fort is also an educational place that provides valuable information and insights into various aspects of history , architecture , art , nature etc. The fort also inspires young minds to appreciate and preserve the ancient art and culture of Rajasthan.
When is the best time to visit Nahargarh Fort?
The best time to visit Nahargarh Fort is during or after the winter season from November to February when the weather is pleasant and dry. The monsoon season from June to October should be avoided as the fort may be slippery and muddy due to rains.
What are some other attractions near Nahargarh Fort?
Some other attractions near Nahargarh Fort are:
Amer Fort: A magnificent fort that was built by Raja Man Singh I in 1592 and later expanded by his successors. It has various attractions such as Sheesh Mahal , Diwan-e-Aam , Diwan-e-Khas etc.
Jal Mahal: A beautiful palace that was built by Maharaja Sawai Pratap Singh in 1799 in the middle of Man Sagar Lake . It has five storeys out of which four are submerged under water.
Hawa Mahal: A stunning palace that was built by Maharaja Sawai Pratap Singh in 1799 as an extension of City Palace . It has 953 windows or jharokhas that allow air circulation and provide a view of the city.
City Palace: A grand palace complex that was built by Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh II between 1729 and 1732 as his residence and administrative centre. It has various attractions such as Chandra Mahal , Mubarak Mahal , Museum etc.
Nahargarh Fort is a majestic and historic fort that showcases the royal legacy and heritage of Jaipur. It is a place that appeals to all kinds of travelers and provides them with an unforgettable experience. It is a place that reflects the history, culture, and harmony of Rajasthan. It is a place that deserves to be visited and admired by everyone who loves to explore the wonders of India…