Nainital Mall Road, also known as Govind Ballabh Pant Marg, is a lively and bustling street that runs parallel to the Naini Lake in Nainital, Uttarakhand. The Mall Road is the main commercial and cultural centre of the hill station, where one can find a variety of shops, restaurants, hotels, banks, travel agencies and other facilities. The Mall Road is also a popular place for enjoying the scenic views of the lake and the hills, as well as indulging in some leisurely activities such as boating, horse riding and photography. Visit during Nainital Local sightseeing.
Location of Nainital Mall Road
The Mall Road is located in the heart of Nainital city, adjacent to the Naini Lake. It connects the two ends of the city, Mallital and Tallital, which are named after the head and tail of the lake respectively. The Mall Road is about 1.6 km long and can be easily reached by road from any part of Nainital or nearby towns.
Timing/Entry Fees Nainital Mall Road
The Mall Road is open from 9:00 am to 10:00 pm every day. There is no entry fee for visiting the Mall Road. However, there are some traffic rules and restrictions that apply to the Mall Road, especially during the peak season of May, June and October. During these months, entry to heavy vehicles is prohibited between 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm and entry to light vehicles and cycle rickshaws is prohibited between 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm. Parking is also not allowed on the Mall Road at any time. There are designated parking spaces in Nainital where visitors can park their vehicles.
How to Reach Nainital Mall Road
The Mall Road can be easily reached by road from Nainital and other nearby towns. There are regular buses and taxis available for Nainital from Delhi, Dehradun, Haridwar and other places. From Nainital, one can take a local bus, taxi or rickshaw to any point on the Mall Road.
Alternatively, one can also take a cable car from Mallital to Snow View Point, which is about 2 km from the Mall Road. The cable car service costs Rs. 100 per person for a round trip and operates from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Things to Do/Must See Nainital Mall Road
The Mall Road is a vibrant and lively place where one can find a variety of things to do and see. Some of the attractions and activities on the Mall Road are:
- Shopping: The Mall Road is a shopper’s paradise where one can find a range of products such as woollen garments, handicrafts, candles, souvenirs, books, jewellery and more. Some of the famous shops on the Mall Road are The Pahari Store, The Candle Factory, The Tibetan Market and The Himalayan Centre.
- Dining: The Mall Road is also a foodie’s delight where one can savour a variety of cuisines such as Indian, Chinese, Continental, Tibetan and more. Some of the popular restaurants on the Mall Road are Emily Cafe, Garden Of Eden, Zooby’s Kitchen and Foxoso Hotel.
- Boating: One of the most enjoyable activities on the Mall Road is boating on the Naini Lake. One can hire a rowboat or a paddle boat from the boat stand near Tallital or Mallital and enjoy the serene beauty of the lake and the hills.
- Horse Riding: Another fun activity on the Mall Road is horse riding along the lake side. One can hire a horse from any of the horse stands on the Mall Road and ride along the scenic route for about 1.5 km up to Tiffin Top Garden.
- Photography: The Mall Road is also a great place for photography lovers who can capture some stunning shots of the lake and the hills from various angles and perspectives. The best time for photography on the Mall Road is during sunrise or sunset when the sky changes its colours.
Significance of Nainital Mall Road
The Mall Road has a historical and cultural significance as it was built by the Britishers during their rule in India. The road was named after Lord Curzon’s daughter Lady Mallet who was fond of Nainital and its scenery. The road was later renamed as Govind Ballabh Pant Marg after India’s first chief minister of Uttar Pradesh who was born in Nainital.
The Mall Road is also a symbol of the vibrant and lively spirit of Nainital and its people. The road is always buzzing with activity and excitement, especially during festivals and events such as Nanda Devi Fair, Winter Carnival, Autumn Festival and more.
Q: What is the best time to visit Nainital Mall Road?
A: The best time to visit Nainital Mall Road is from March to June and September to November, when the weather is pleasant and clear.
Q: How long does it take to visit Nainital Mall Road?
A: It takes about 1-2 hours to visit Nainital Mall Road, depending on how much time one spends in shopping, dining and enjoying the views.
Q: Is photography allowed on Nainital Mall Road?
A: Photography is allowed on Nainital Mall Road and there are no restrictions on using cameras or mobile phones.
Nainital Mall Road is a must-visit destination for anyone who wants to experience the vibrant and lively atmosphere of Nainital. The road is a hub of shopping, dining, entertainment and culture that attracts visitors from all over the world. The road is also a place of scenic beauty and tranquility that offers a glimpse of the natural charm of Nainital.