Ooty Lake is a man-made lake near Ooty in the Nilgiris district of Tamil Nadu, India. It covers an area of 65 acres and is one of the major attractions in Ooty. It was created by John Sullivan, the founder of Ooty, in 1824 by damming the mountain streams flowing down the Ooty valley. The lake was originally intended for fishing and boating, but now it also offers various recreational activities for tourists. Visit during Ooty One day tour By cab
Location of Ooty Lake
Ooty Lake is located about 1 kilometer from Ooty bus stand and railway station. It is situated at an altitude of 2,220 meters above sea level and is surrounded by eucalyptus trees and green hills. The lake has a railway line running along one shore, which is part of the Nilgiri Mountain Railway, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Timing / Entry Fees Ooty Lake
Ooty Lake is open from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm on all days of the week. The entry fee is Rs. 10 per person for Indians and Rs. 560 per person for foreigners. The boating fee varies depending on the type and duration of the boat. The pedal boat fee is Rs. 160 for 30 minutes and Rs. 260 for an hour for a two-seater boat. The row boat fee is Rs. 180 for 30 minutes and Rs. 290 for an hour for a four-seater boat. The motor boat fee is Rs. 450 for 20 minutes for an eight-seater boat.
How to Reach Ooty Lake
Ooty Lake can be reached by road from Ooty or Coimbatore. You can take a bus, taxi or auto-rickshaw to reach the spot. You can also hire a private vehicle or a bike for more convenience. There is ample parking space available near the lake.
Things to Do / Must See Ooty Lake
Ooty Lake offers various things to do and see for tourists of all ages and interests. You can enjoy boating, cycling, horse riding, mini train ride, amusement park, etc. at the lake. You can also visit the nearby attractions such as Thread Garden, Avalanche Lake, Thunder World, etc.
- Boating: Boating is the main attraction at the lake. You can choose from pedal boats, row boats or motor boats to explore the lake and enjoy the scenic views.
- Cycling: Cycling is another fun activity at the lake. You can rent a cycle from the cycle stand near the boat house and ride along the lake shore or around the lake.
- Horse Riding: Horse riding is also available at the lake. You can ride a horse along the lake shore or around the lake for a nominal fee.
- Mini Train Ride: Mini train ride is a special attraction for kids at the lake. You can take a mini train ride from the boat house to the amusement park and back for Rs. 25 per person.
- Amusement Park: Amusement park is located near the boat house and offers various rides and games for kids and adults. You can enjoy dashing cars, break dance, Columbus, horror house, mirror house, etc. at the amusement park.
- Thread Garden: Thread Garden is a unique attraction near the lake that showcases artificial flowers and plants made entirely of thread without using any machinery or needles.
- Avalanche Lake: Avalanche Lake is a natural lake located about 0.8 kilometers from Ooty Lake. It is a popular destination for trekking, camping and fishing.
- Thunder World: Thunder World is an amusement park located about 0.7 kilometers from Ooty Lake. It features various themes such as dinosaur park, haunted house, snow world, etc.
Significance of Ooty Lake
Ooty Lake is a place of historical and cultural significance. It was created by John Sullivan, who was instrumental in developing Ooty as a hill station and promoting tourism in the region. The lake was also used as a shooting location for many movies such as Dil Se, Roja, Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani, etc.
Q: What is the best time to visit Ooty Lake?
A: The best time to visit Ooty Lake is from April to June and from September to November when the weather is pleasant and clear.
Q: What are the facilities available at Ooty Lake?
A: There are basic facilities available at Ooty Lake such as parking, toilets, drinking water, etc. There are also some shops and stalls that sell snacks, beverages, souvenirs, etc.
Q: What are some tips for visiting Ooty Lake?
A: Some tips for visiting Ooty Lake are:
Wear comfortable shoes and clothes as you will have to walk to reach the spot.
Carry water, snacks and a camera to capture the views.
Be careful while boating or cycling as the lake is deep and the shore is slippery.
Do not litter or feed the animals at the place.
Respect the local culture and environment.
Ooty Lake is a man-made lake in Ooty that offers a variety of recreational activities for tourists. It is a place of historical and cultural significance that attracts many tourists and nature lovers. It is a perfect place for a picnic, a boating, a cycling or a photography session. If you are looking for a refreshing and relaxing getaway in Ooty, Ooty Lake is a must-visit destination.