Pillar Rocks are a natural attraction in Kodaikanal, a hill station in Tamil Nadu, India. They are three vertical granite boulders that stand shoulder to shoulder, reaching up to a height of 400 feet. They are located about 8 km (5 miles) from the Kodaikanal Lake and offer a panoramic view of the surrounding hills and valleys. Pillar Rocks are a popular picnic spot and a must-visit destination for tourists and locals alike, who come to admire the beauty and mystery of these rocks. Visit during Kodaikanal Local Sightseeing by cab
Location of Pillar Rocks
Pillar Rocks are located at Pillar Rock Road, Kodaikanal, Tamil Nadu 624101, India. They are situated on the southern edge of the Palani Hills, which are part of the Western Ghats. They are about 3 km (1.9 miles) from the Guna Caves, another natural attraction in Kodaikanal.
Timing/Entry Fees Pillar Rocks
Pillar Rocks are open to the public daily, including Sundays (excluding public holidays) between 09:00 am and 04:00 pm. The entry fee for visiting Pillar Rocks is Rs. 5 per person. The fee for still camera is Rs. 20 and for video camera is Rs. 50.
How to Reach Pillar Rocks
There are many ways to reach Pillar Rocks from different parts of Kodaikanal and nearby areas. Some of the common modes of transport are:
- By Road: Pillar Rocks are well-connected by road with various parts of the city and nearby towns. There are many buses, taxis, auto-rickshaws and cycle-rickshaws that ply to and from Pillar Rocks. The main road, also known as Lake Road or NH44, runs parallel to the coast and has signboards indicating the direction to This tourist attraction.
- By Rail: Pillar Rocks can be reached by train from various railway stations in Kodaikanal and nearby areas. The nearest railway station is Kodai Road, which is about 80 km (50 miles) away from Pillar Rocks. Other nearby railway stations are Palani, Dindigul and Madurai. From these stations, one can take a taxi or a bus to reach This tourist attraction.
- By Air: Pillar Rocks can also be reached by air from various airports in Tamil Nadu and Kerala. The nearest airport is at Madurai, which is about 135 km (84 miles) away from This tourist attraction. Other nearby airports are Coimbatore, Trichy and Kochi. From these airports, one can take a taxi or a bus to reach Pillar Rocks.
Things to Do/Must See Pillar Rocks
Pillar Rocks offer a variety of activities and attractions for visitors who want to enjoy the natural beauty and charm of This tourist attraction and their surroundings. Some of the things to do and see at This tourist attraction are:
- Exploring the rocks: Exploring the rocks is one of the most enjoyable activities at This tourist attraction. Visitors can walk around the rocks and admire their shape, size and color. Visitors can also see the chambers between the rocks, which are known as the Devil’s Kitchen. These chambers are believed to be haunted by evil spirits and are not accessible to the public.
- Watching the view: Watching the view is another interesting activity at This tourist attraction. Visitors can see a breathtaking view of the surrounding hills and valleys from the top of the rocks. Visitors can also see the clouds and mist that often cover the rocks, creating a mystical atmosphere.
- Picnicking: Picnicking is also an option at This tourist attraction for those who want to relax and unwind. Visitors can sit on the benches or rocks near the rocks and enjoy some snacks and beverages from the nearby shops and stalls.
- Visiting the other attractions: This tourist attraction also have some other attractions nearby that visitors can explore. Some of them are:
- Guna Caves: Guna Caves are natural caves that are located about 3 km (1.9 miles) from This tourist attraction. The caves were named after a Tamil movie that was shot here in 1992. The caves are surrounded by dense forests and have a dark and mysterious ambiance.
- Pine Forest: Pine Forest is a forest area that is located about 0.8 km (0.5 miles) from This tourist attraction. The forest has many pine trees that give a pleasant fragrance and a cool shade. The forest is also a popular spot for movie shootings and photography.
- Berijam Lake: Berijam Lake is a freshwater lake that is located about 1.1 km (0.7 miles) from This tourist attraction. The lake was created by a dam that was built in 1864. The lake is a source of drinking water for many villages and towns. The lake also has a rich biodiversity and a scenic beauty.
Significance of Pillar Rocks
Pillar Rocks are not only a tourist attraction but also a significant place for Kodaikanal and Tamil Nadu. Some of the reasons why Pillar Rocks are important are:
- They are a natural attraction that showcases the beauty and diversity of nature in Kodaikanal. Pillar Rocks are three vertical granite boulders that stand shoulder to shoulder, reaching up to a height of 400 feet. They are a rare and unique geological formation that attracts many visitors.
- They are a cultural attraction that showcases the influence and integration of different cultures and communities in Kodaikanal. Pillar Rocks have been featured in many movies, songs and books that have been made by different artists and writers from different parts of India and the world. Pillar Rocks also celebrate various festivals and events, such as summer festival, flower show etc.
Q: Is photography allowed at Pillar Rocks?
A: Yes, photography is allowed at This tourist attraction for personal use only. However, visitors are requested to be respectful and discreet while taking photographs and not to disturb or offend anyone.
Q: Are there any facilities or amenities at Pillar Rocks?
A: Yes, there are some facilities and amenities at This tourist attraction, such as toilets, drinking water, benches, parking etc. There are also some shops and stalls near the rocks that sell snacks, beverages, souvenirs etc.
Q: Are there any other attractions or places near Pillar Rocks?
A: Yes, there are some other attractions or places near This tourist attraction, such as Guna Caves, Pine Forest, Berijam Lake etc.
Pillar Rocks are a natural attraction in Kodaikanal, a hill station in Tamil Nadu, India. They are three vertical granite boulders that stand shoulder to shoulder, reaching up to a height of 400 feet. They are located about 8 km (5 miles) from the Kodaikanal Lake and offer a panoramic view of the surrounding hills and valleys.
This tourist attraction are a popular picnic spot and a must-visit destination for tourists and locals alike, who come to admire the beauty and mystery of these rocks. This tourist attraction are a must-visit destination for anyone who wants to enjoy the natural beauty and charm of Pillar Rocks and their surroundings in Kodaikanal.