Goa is a state in India that is famous for its beaches, nightlife, culture, and heritage. It is a popular tourist destination that attracts visitors from all over the world. However, Goa also has some historical and architectural attractions that offer a glimpse of its past and present. One of these attractions is Reis Magos Fort, which is located in the north of the state Famous tourist attraction in North Goa, visit during North Goa Local sightseeing Package.
Reis Magos Fort is an ancient fort that offers a splendid view of the Mandovi River and the Arabian Sea. It is also a place that has historical and cultural significance and a place that hosts various events and exhibitions. In this article, we will explore the location, timing, entry fees, how to reach, things to do, significance, and frequently asked questions about Reis Magos Fort.
Location of Reis Magos Fort
Reis Magos Fort is located in the Reis Magos village of North Goa district. It is situated about 7 km from Panaji, the capital city of Goa, and 30 km from Dabolim Airport, the nearest airport. It is perched on a hilltop that overlooks the Mandovi River and the Arabian Sea.
Timing / Entry Fees Reis Magos Fort
Reis Magos Fort is open for visitors throughout the year. The fort has an entry fee of Rs. 50 per person for Indians and Rs. 100 per person for foreigners. The fort also charges Rs. 25 per camera for photography and Rs. 50 per camera for videography. The fort is open from 9:30 am to 5:00 pm on all days except Mondays.
How to Reach Reis Magos Fort
Reis Magos Fort is well connected by road and rail to major cities in Goa and India. The nearest railway station is Karmali, which is about 15 km away. From there, one can take a bus, taxi, or auto-rickshaw to Reis Magos Fort. The journey takes about 30 minutes by road. Alternatively, one can also take a train to Madgaon or Vasco da Gama stations and then hire a local vehicle to Reis Magos Fort. The journey takes about 1 to 2 hours by road.
Another option is to take a flight to Dabolim Airport and then take a prepaid taxi or a bus to Reis Magos Fort. The journey takes about an hour by road.
Things to Do / Must See Reis Magos Fort
Reis Magos Fort offers a lot of attractions and activities for visitors who are interested in history, culture, art, or nature. Some of the things to do and must see places in Reis Magos Fort are:
- Exploring the Fort: Reis Magos Fort is an ancient fort that was built by the Portuguese in the 16th century to defend their territory from the Marathas and other enemies. The fort has several ruins of walls, bastions, gates, cannons, and barracks. The fort also has a church and a museum that display various artifacts and exhibits related to the history and culture of Goa.
- Enjoying the View: Reis Magos Fort offers a splendid view of the Mandovi River and the Arabian Sea from its ramparts. One can also see the Panaji cityscape, the Aguada Fort, and the Candolim Beach from the fort. The view is especially beautiful during sunrise and sunset when the sky and the water change colors. The view is also ideal for photography and videography.
- Attending Events and Exhibitions: Reis Magos Fort is also a place where various events and exhibitions take place throughout the year. The fort hosts cultural programs such as music concerts, dance performances, art festivals, etc. that showcase the talent and diversity of Goa and India. The fort also hosts educational programs such as workshops, seminars, lectures, etc. that provide knowledge and awareness on various topics and issues. The fort also hosts special events such as Christmas celebrations, New Year parties, etc. that offer fun and entertainment to the visitors.
- Eating and Drinking: Reis Magos Fort has a few shacks and stalls that offer snacks and drinks to the visitors. One can find local Goan dishes such as bhaji pav (bread with vegetable curry), pao (bread), sol kadi (coconut milk with kokum), etc. as well as international dishes such as sandwiches, burgers, etc. One can also enjoy fresh coconut water, fruit juices, etc. at the shacks.
- Candolim Beach: Candolim Beach is another attraction that is located near Reis Magos Fort. It is a beautiful and clean beach that offers a variety of activities and attractions such as water sports, sunbathing, shopping, eating, drinking, etc. It is also a place that has historical and cultural significance such as Aguada Fort, Sinquerim Beach, etc.
Significance of Reis Magos Fort
Reis Magos Fort is not only a popular tourist destination but also a significant place for Goa and India. It has several historical and cultural significance that make it more than just a fort. Some of the significance of Reis Magos Fort are:
- Freedom Struggle: Reis Magos Fort was one of the places where the Goa Liberation Movement took place in the 1950s and 1960s. The movement was a struggle to end the Portuguese colonial rule in Goa and integrate it with India. The movement involved various forms of protests, demonstrations, strikes, and armed resistance by the Goan people. One of the incidents that took place at Reis Magos Fort was the attack by freedom fighters led by Vishwanath Lawande in 1955. They tried to capture the fort but were repulsed by the Portuguese forces.
- Film Shooting: Reis Magos Fort has also been featured in several films and television shows that have showcased its beauty and charm. Some of the films and shows that have been shot at Reis Magos Fort are Dil Chahta Hai (2001), Golmaal (2006), Singham (2011), Dil Dhadakne Do (2015), etc.
- Heritage Conservation: Reis Magos Fort is also a place where heritage conservation efforts have been undertaken to preserve and restore its historical and architectural value. The fort was renovated and reopened to the public in 2012 by the Helen Hamlyn Trust in collaboration with the Government of Goa and INTACH (Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage). The fort has also won several awards for its conservation work such as the UNESCO Asia-Pacific Heritage Award in 2013.
Here are some frequently asked questions about Reis Magos Fort:
- Q: What are some of the safety tips and precautions to follow at Reis Magos Fort?
A: Some of the safety tips and precautions to follow at Reis Magos Fort are:
- Follow the instructions and guidelines of the authorities and the guides.
- Do not climb or touch the walls, bastions, cannons, or other structures of the fort as they may be unstable or damaged.
- Do not litter or create nuisance at the fort as it is a heritage site and a protected monument.
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothes and carry water and snacks as the trek to the fort may be tiring and exhausting.
- Beware of monkeys, dogs, and other animals that may be present at the fort or nearby.
- Q: What are some of the other attractions or places to visit near Reis Magos Fort?
A: Some of the other attractions or places to visit near Reis Magos Fort are:
- Panaji: Panaji is the capital city of Goa and a hub of culture, heritage, and entertainment. It has many historical and architectural attractions such as Old Goa (a UNESCO World Heritage Site), Fontainhas (a Latin Quarter), Miramar Beach (a popular beach), etc. It also has many restaurants, cafes, bars, and casinos that offer delicious and diverse cuisines and beverages.
- Sinquerim Beach: Sinquerim Beach is a beautiful and clean beach that is located near Reis Magos Fort. It is a good place for water sports such as surfing, windsurfing, sailing, etc. There is also a dolphin spotting tour that operates from Sinquerim Beach.
- Aguada Fort: Aguada Fort is a 17th century fort that was built by the Portuguese to guard the entrance of the Mandovi river. The fort has a lighthouse, a jail, and a church. The fort also offers a panoramic view of the sea and the sunset.
Reis Magos Fort is a historical and scenic attraction that offers a glimpse of the past and present of Goa. It is a place where one can enjoy the view of the river and the sea, explore the ruins of the fort, attend events and exhibitions, eat and drink at the shacks, etc. It is also a place that has historical and cultural significance that adds to its charm and appeal. It is a place that can make one feel nostalgic and adventurous. It is a place that is worth visiting at least once in a lifetime.