Rupi Palace is a palace located in Sultanpur, Kullu, in the state of Himachal Pradesh. It is believed to be the residence of the erstwhile royal family of Kullu, who ruled over the valley for centuries. The palace is a blend of Pahari and colonial architecture, and showcases the rich culture and heritage of Kullu. Visit during Kullu-Manikaran Local sightseeing. In this article, we will explore the location, timing, entry fees, significance, things to do, and FAQs of this palace.
Overview of Rupi Palace
Rupi Palace was originally built in 1660 A.D. by Raja Jagat Singh, who also built the famous Bijli Mahadev temple. The palace was badly damaged in the Kangra earthquake of 1905, and was subsequently rebuilt by Raja Dilip Singh. The palace is still used as a home by the descendants of Kullu’s royal family, who also manage a museum inside the palace. The museum displays various artifacts, paintings, weapons, and photographs related to the history and culture of Kullu. The palace also hosts various cultural events and festivals throughout the year.
Location of Rupi Palace
Rupi Palace is situated in Sultanpur, about 1 km from the main market of Kullu. It offers a splendid view of the Kullu valley and the Beas river. The palace is easily accessible by road from Kullu town and other nearby places.
Timing / Entry Fees Rupi Palace
The palace is open for visitors from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM every day except Mondays. There is an entry fee of Rs. 20 per person for visiting the palace and the museum.
How to Reach Rupi Palace from City Centre
The palace is about 1 km from the city centre of Kullu, which can be reached by auto-rickshaw, taxi, or bus. The nearest bus stand is at Dhalpur, which is about 2 km from the palace. The nearest railway station is at Joginder Nagar, which is about 125 km from the palace. The nearest airport is at Bhuntar, which is about 10 km from the palace.
Things to Do / Must See Rupi Palace
- Explore the palace and admire its architecture and craftsmanship. The palace has a three-storeyed structure with wooden balconies and windows. The interiors are decorated with paintings, carvings, chandeliers, and furniture.
- Visit the museum and learn about the history and culture of Kullu. The museum exhibits various items such as royal costumes, jewellery, coins, musical instruments, manuscripts, weapons, and photographs.
- Witness the cultural events and festivals that are held at the palace premises. Some of the popular events are Dussehra festival in October, Winter Carnival in January, Folk Dance Festival in February, and Spring Festival in April.
- Enjoy the panoramic view of the Kullu valley and the Beas river from the palace terrace. You can also spot some snow-capped peaks of Himalayas on a clear day.
- Explore the other attractions in and around Kullu, such as Bijli Mahadev Temple, Manikaran Sahib Gurudwara, Great Himalayan National Park, Solang Valley, Rohtang Pass, etc.
Significance of Rupi Palace
The palace is a symbol of the royal legacy and glory of Kullu valley. It reflects the art and culture of Pahari people who have lived in harmony with nature for centuries. The palace also showcases the influence of British colonialism on Kullu’s architecture and lifestyle. The palace is a living testimony of Kullu’s history and heritage.
Q: What is the best time to visit Rupi Palace?
A: The best time to visit Rupi Palace is during the spring or autumn season (March to May or September to November), when the weather is pleasant and the valley is lush green.
Q: Is photography allowed inside the palace?
A: Yes, photography is allowed inside the palace premises. However, one should respect the privacy and dignity of the royal family members who live in the palace.
Q: Are there any accommodation options near the palace?
A: Yes, there are many hotels, resorts, homestays, cottages, and campsites available near the palace that cater to different budgets and preferences.
Q: Are there any eateries or shops near the palace?
A: Yes, there are many eateries and shops near the palace that offer local delicacies and souvenirs.
Rupi Palace is a must-visit destination for anyone who wants to experience the royal and historical essence of Kullu valley. It is not only a place of residence but also a place of culture and heritage. It is a perfect getaway for anyone who wants to witness the beauty and diversity of Kullu valley.