Sarovaram Bio Park is a unique and innovative project in Kozhikode, Kerala, that aims to conserve and showcase the biodiversity and ecology of the wetlands. It is also a popular tourist attraction that offers a variety of activities and attractions for visitors of all ages and interests in Calicut. In this article, we will explore some of the features and attractions of Sarovaram Bio Park that make it a must-visit place for travelers. Visit during One Day Calicut Local Sightseeing Trip by Private Cab
Location/ Timing / Entry Fees of Sarovaram Bio Park
Sarovaram Bio Park is located about 5 km from the city center of Kozhikode, on the Mini Bypass Road. It is easily accessible by road, rail, and air. The nearest airport is Calicut International Airport, which is about 23 km away. The nearest railway station is Kozhikode Railway Station, which is about 6 km away. There are also buses and auto-rickshaws available from the city to the park.
The park is open to visitors from 9 am to 6 pm every day, except Mondays. There is no entry fee for visiting the park. However, there may be charges for boating, cycling, and other activities.
How to Reach Sarovaram Bio Park
There are several ways to reach Sarovaram Bio Park from the city. One of the most convenient and eco-friendly ways is to take a cycle from the cycle station near the park entrance. The cycle station provides cycles for rent at Rs. 10 per hour. The cycle ride takes about 15 minutes and offers a refreshing and healthy way to explore the park.
Another way to reach Sarovaram Bio Park is to take a bus from the KSRTC bus stand or the Moffusil bus stand in the city. There are frequent buses that ply between the city and the park. The bus fare is Rs. 10 per person and the journey takes about 20 minutes.
Alternatively, one can also hire a taxi or an auto-rickshaw from the city to the park. The taxi fare may vary depending on the distance and traffic, but it usually ranges from Rs. 100 to Rs. 200. The auto-rickshaw fare may be around Rs. 50 to Rs. 100.
Things to Do / Must See in Sarovaram Bio Park
Sarovaram Bio Park offers a variety of activities and attractions for visitors of all ages and interests. Some of the things to do and must see at Sarovaram Bio Park are:
- Enjoy the greenery and tranquility: Sarovaram Bio Park is a green oasis in the midst of the urban chaos. It covers an area of about 200 acres and has more than 700 species of plants and animals. The park has a network of canals, ponds, islands, bridges, and pathways that create a serene and scenic environment. The park also has some gazebos, benches, and hammocks for visitors to relax and enjoy the nature.
- Visit the interpretation center: At the entrance of the park, there is an interpretation center that provides information and education about the wetlands and their importance for the ecosystem. The center has some interactive displays, models, posters, videos, etc., that explain the various aspects of wetland conservation and management. The center also has a library, a souvenir shop, and a cafeteria.
- Go for boating: One of the most popular activities at Sarovaram Bio Park is boating. The park has a boating facility that offers different types of boats, such as pedal boats, row boats, speed boats, etc., for visitors to enjoy a ride on the water. The boating charges vary depending on the type and duration of the boat ride, but they usually range from Rs. 20 to Rs. 100 per person.
- Try some adventure sports: For those who are looking for some thrill and excitement, Sarovaram Bio Park offers some adventure sports such as zip-lining, rock climbing, rappelling, etc. These activities are conducted by trained professionals and charge nominal fees.
- Watch some birds: Sarovaram Bio Park is a haven for bird lovers, as it attracts more than 100 species of birds, both resident and migratory. Some of the common birds that can be seen at the park are kingfishers, herons, egrets, cormorants, ducks, etc. The park also has some bird-watching towers and binoculars for visitors to get a closer look at the feathered friends.
- Explore the butterfly garden: Near the interpretation center, there is a butterfly garden that showcases a variety of butterflies and their life cycles. The garden has some colorful flowers and plants that attract and nurture the butterflies. The garden also has some information boards and guides that explain the different types and features of butterflies.
- Enjoy the musical fountain: In front of the interpretation center, there is a musical fountain that operates from 6 pm to 8 pm every day. The fountain displays colorful lights and water jets that dance to music.
Significance of Sarovaram Bio Park
Sarovaram Bio Park is not only a tourist destination but also a conservation project that aims to protect and promote the wetlands and their biodiversity. The wetlands are vital for the environment, as they provide various ecological services, such as water purification, flood control, climate regulation, etc. They are also home to many plants and animals, some of which are rare and endangered. However, the wetlands are facing various threats, such as pollution, encroachment, urbanization, etc., that are degrading and destroying them.
Sarovaram Bio Park is an initiative by the Kerala Tourism Development Corporation (KTDC) and the Kozhikode District Tourism Promotion Council (DTPC) to create awareness and appreciation among the public about the wetlands and their importance. The park also provides a platform for research and education on wetland conservation and management. The park also contributes to the socio-economic development of the local community by providing employment and income opportunities.
Is Sarovaram Bio Park suitable for children?
A: Yes, Sarovaram Bio Park is suitable for children, as it has many attractions and activities that are fun and educational for them. The park has a children’s park that has some swings, slides, seesaws, etc., for kids to have fun. The park also has some games and puzzles that teach them about the wetlands and their flora and fauna.
Q: What are the best times to visit Sarovaram Bio Park?
A: The best times to visit Sarovaram Bio Park are from October to March, when the weather is pleasant and cool. The summer months from April to June can be hot and humid, while the monsoon months from July to September can be rainy and muddy.
Q: What are some other attractions near Sarovaram Bio Park?
A: Some other attractions near Sarovaram Bio Park are:
Kozhikode Beach: A lively beach that has a lighthouse, a marine aquarium, a children’s park, and a musical fountain.
Kappad Beach: A beautiful beach that is famous for its historical significance, as it is where Vasco da Gama landed in 1498.
Thusharagiri Falls: A scenic waterfall that is located about 50 km from Sarovaram Bio Park. It is a good place for trekking, camping, and birdwatching
Sarovaram Bio Park is a perfect destination for those who want to experience the green and eco-friendly side of Kerala. It is a place where one can enjoy the beauty of the wetlands, the diversity of the plants and animals, the fun of the activities and attractions, and the awareness of the conservation and education. Sarovaram Bio Park is a place that will leave you with unforgettable memories and impressions.