Shri Lakshmi Narayani Golden Temple, also known as Sripuram Golden Temple, is a Hindu temple dedicated to Goddess Lakshmi, the consort of Lord Vishnu and the goddess of wealth and prosperity. The temple is located in Sripuram, a spiritual park in Thirumalaikodi, about 9 km away from Vellore city in Tamil Nadu. The temple was built by Shri Sakthi Amma, the spiritual leader of Sri Narayani Peedam, a charitable trust that runs various social and spiritual activities. Famous temple and tourist attraction in Vellore.
The temple was inaugurated on 24 August 2007, and is one of the largest golden temples in the world. Visit during One Day Chennai to Vellore Tour Package by Private Cab
Location of Shri Lakshmi Narayani Golden Temple
Shri Lakshmi Narayani Golden Temple is situated at the foot of a small range of green hills in Sripuram, a spiritual park that covers an area of 100 acres. The temple is easily accessible by road from various parts of Tamil Nadu and neighbouring states. The nearest airport is Chennai International Airport, which is about 130 km away from the temple. The nearest railway station is Vellore Cantonment Railway Station, which is about 12 km away from the temple. There are also regular bus services to Vellore from Chennai, Bangalore, Tirupati and other cities.
Timing/Entry Fees Shri Lakshmi Narayani Golden Temple
Shri Lakshmi Narayani Golden Temple is open for visitors from 4 am to 8 pm every day. There is no entry fee for visiting the temple, but there are charges for special darshan and abhishekam. The special darshan charge is Rs. 250 per person, and the abhishekam charge is Rs. 500 per person. There are also free darshan and free abhishekam facilities available for devotees who cannot afford the charges.
How to Reach Shri Lakshmi Narayani Golden Temple
Shri Lakshmi Narayani Golden Temple can be reached by road from Vellore city or from the nearby towns. There are auto rickshaws and taxis available for hire from the railway station, bus stand and other places. Alternatively, one can walk or cycle to the temple from nearby areas.
Things to Do/Must See Shri Lakshmi Narayani Golden Temple
There are many things to do and see at Shri Lakshmi Narayani Golden Temple, such as:
- Darshan: The main attraction of Shri Lakshmi Narayani Golden Temple is darshan, which means seeing the deity with devotion and reverence. The temple has a magnificent idol of Goddess Lakshmi Narayani, made of pure gold and adorned with jewels and flowers. The idol is seated on a lotus-shaped pedestal, with four hands holding a conch, a discus, a lotus and a mace. The idol radiates grace and blessings to the devotees who seek her divine intervention.
- Abhishekam: Abhishekam is a ritual of bathing the deity with various substances such as milk, honey, curd, sandalwood paste and rose water. It is believed that abhishekam cleanses the deity and enhances her power and beauty. It also bestows auspiciousness and prosperity to the devotees who perform or witness it. Abhishekam is performed daily at Shri Lakshmi Narayani Golden Temple at different timings for different substances.
- Star Path: Star Path is a unique feature of Shri Lakshmi Narayani Golden Temple that leads to the main shrine. It is a star-shaped path that symbolises the Sri Chakra, a sacred geometric diagram that represents the cosmic energy of Goddess Lakshmi. The path is about 1.8 km long and has various spiritual messages inscribed on it. As one walks along this path, one can read these messages and meditate on them. The path also offers scenic views of the hills, the forest and the temple.
- Shopping: Shri Lakshmi Narayani Golden Temple is also a good place to shop for souvenirs, handicrafts, jewellery, books and other products related to spirituality and culture. There are many stalls and shops near the temple that sell these items at reasonable prices. One can also buy prasadam (sacred food) from the temple counter.
Nearby Tourist Attractions Shri Lakshmi Narayani Golden Temple
There are many other tourist attractions near Shri Lakshmi Narayani Golden Temple that are worth visiting, such as:
- Vellore Fort: This is a large 16th-century fort situated in the heart of Vellore city that was built by Vijayanagara kings. The fort has grand ramparts, wide moat and robust masonry. It also houses several monuments of religious and cultural significance, such as the Jalakanteshwara Temple, the St. John’s Church and a Muslim mosque.
- Amirthi Zoological Park: This is a zoological park that is located about 25 km away from the temple that covers an area of about 25 hectares. The park has a variety of animals and birds, such as deer, monkeys, peacocks, crocodiles, eagles and parrots. The park also has a waterfall and a children’s park.
- Yelagiri Hills: This is a hill station that is located about 90 km away from the temple that has an altitude of about 1100 m above sea level. The hill station has a pleasant climate and scenic views of the valleys and hills. It also has several attractions, such as nature park, boating lake, adventure sports and trekking trails.
Significance of Shri Lakshmi Narayani Golden Temple
Shri Lakshmi Narayani Golden Temple is not only a tourist attraction, but also a source of spirituality and service for the society. It is a place that was built by Shri Sakthi Amma, who is regarded as an incarnation of Goddess Lakshmi by his devotees. It is also a place that runs various social and spiritual activities, such as free education, free health care, free food and free accommodation for the needy and the pilgrims. It is also a place that promotes universal peace and harmony among all religions and backgrounds.
Q: How big is Shri Lakshmi Narayani Golden Temple?
A: Shri Lakshmi Narayani Golden Temple covers an area of about 100 acres and has a circumference of about 1.8 km.
Q: How old is Shri Lakshmi Narayani Golden Temple?
A: Shri Lakshmi Narayani Golden Temple was inaugurated on 24 August 2007.
Q: What is the best time to visit Shri Lakshmi Narayani Golden Temple?
A: Shri Lakshmi Narayani Golden Temple can be visited throughout the year, as the climate is moderate and pleasant. However, the peak season is from October to March, when the weather is cool and dry.
Shri Lakshmi Narayani Golden Temple is a must-visit destination for anyone who loves spirituality, culture and nature. It is a place where one can see, worship and serve Goddess Lakshmi Narayani, who is the source of wealth and prosperity. It is a place where one can experience the grace and blessings of Shri Sakthi Amma, who is the embodiment of compassion and love. It is a place where one can enjoy the beauty and tranquility of Sripuram, which is a spiritual oasis in the midst of chaos.