St. Philomena’s Church, also known as St. Joseph’s Cathedral, is a Catholic church and a cathedral of the Diocese of Mysore, India. It is dedicated to Saint Philomena, a Latin Catholic saint and martyr of the Roman Catholic Church. The church is located in the city of Mysore, Karnataka, India, and is one of the largest churches in India and one of the tallest churches in Asia. The church is famous for its Neo-Gothic style of architecture, its twin spires and its stained glass windows. Visit during Mysore Local Sightseeing as well as Bangalore to Mysore One day trip By cab
Location of St. Philomena’s Church
St. Philomena’s Church is located at Lashkar Mohalla, Ashoka Road, Veerangere, Mysuru, Karnataka 570001. It is about 3 km from the Mysore railway station and 12 km from the Mysore airport. It is situated in the heart of the Mysore city, near the Jagmohan Palace.
Timing/Entry Fees St. Philomena’s Church
St. Philomena’s Church is open to visitors from 5:00 am to 8:30 pm on all days of the week. There is no entry fee for visiting the church or the museum. However, one has to pay a nominal parking fee for vehicles, which ranges from Rs. 10 to Rs. 50 depending on the type of vehicle.
How to Reach St. Philomena’s Church
There are various modes of transport available to reach St. Philomena’s Church from different parts of Karnataka and India.
- By air: The nearest airport is Mysore International Airport, which is well connected by flights from major cities in India and abroad. From there, one can take a taxi or a bus to St. Philomena’s Church.
- By train: The nearest railway station is Mysore Junction Railway Station, which is well connected by trains from major cities in India. From there, one can take a taxi or a bus to St. Philomena’s Church.
- By road: Mysore is well connected by road with other cities and towns in Karnataka and neighboring states. There are regular government and private buses that ply to St. Philomena’s Church from various places. One can also drive to St. Philomena’s Church by car or bike.
Things to Do/Must See St. Philomena’s Church
St. Philomena’s Church is a place of religious and architectural interest that offers a lot of things to do and see for the visitors.
- Admire the Neo-Gothic style of architecture of the church, which was inspired by the Cologne Cathedral in Germany. The church has a facade with intricate carvings and sculptures, a nave with vaulted ceilings and arches, and twin spires that are 175 feet high and can be seen from a distance.
- Offer prayers at the altar of Saint Philomena, which has a statue of the saint holding a palm branch and an anchor, symbols of her martyrdom. The altar also has a relic of the saint, which is preserved in a catacomb below the main altar.
- Enjoy the view of the stained glass windows that depict scenes from the Bible, such as the birth of Christ, the Last Supper, the Crucifixion and the Resurrection. The windows also have images of saints and apostles.
- Visit the museum that is housed in the church premises, which displays various artifacts related to the history and culture of Christianity in India. The museum also has paintings, sculptures, musical instruments and antiques from various schools and periods of Indian art.
- Participate in the various events and activities that are organized by the church authorities, such as masses, novenas, processions and festivals.
Nearby Tourist Attractions St. Philomena’s Church
There are many other tourist attractions near St. Philomena’s Church that one can explore while visiting Mysore. Some of them are:
- Mysore Palace: A magnificent palace that was the residence of the Wodeyar kings of Mysore. It has a blend of Indo-Saracenic styles of architecture, with domes, arches and turrets. It also has a museum that displays royal artifacts and paintings.
- Brindavan Gardens: A beautiful garden that lies below the Krishnaraja Sagar Dam. It has fountains, terraces, lawns and flower beds. It also has a musical fountain show that is held in the evenings.
- Chamundeshwari Temple: A temple dedicated to Goddess Chamundeshwari or Durga, who is the patron deity of Mysore. The temple is located on the top of Chamundi Hills, which offer a panoramic view of the city. The temple also has a statue of Nandi (the bull mount of Shiva) and a Shiva temple nearby.
- Jagmohan Palace: A palace and an art gallery that showcases the royal artifacts, paintings, sculptures and musical instruments of various schools and periods of Indian art. The palace also hosts various cultural programs and events that reflect the traditions and values of Mysore.
- Sri Chamarajendra Zoological Gardens: A well-maintained zoo that houses a variety of animals and birds. It has a safari park, a reptile house, an aviary and an aquarium. It also has a conservation and breeding program for endangered species.
Significance of St. Philomena’s Church
St. Philomena’s Church is a significant attraction in Mysore for its religious and architectural importance. It is one of the largest churches in India and one of the tallest churches in Asia. It is dedicated to Saint Philomena, who was a young Greek princess martyred in the 4th century. The church is a symbol of the faith and devotion of the Catholic community in Mysore and a source of inspiration and grace for the visitors.
Q: What is the best time to visit St. Philomena’s Church?
A: The best time to visit St. Philomena’s Church is during the winter season (November to February), when the weather is pleasant and comfortable. However, one can visit the church throughout the year as it remains open on all days.
Q: How long does it take to explore St. Philomena’s Church?
A: It takes about 1-2 hours to explore St. Philomena’s Church and its surroundings. One can also spend some more time enjoying the museum, events and activities at the church.
Q: Is photography allowed inside St. Philomena’s Church?
A: Yes, photography is allowed inside St. Philomena’s Church, but one should respect the beauty and sanctity of the place and avoid using flash or disturbing the prayers. One should also follow the rules and regulations of the church and avoid littering or feeding the pigeons.
St. Philomena’s Church is a must-visit place for anyone who wants to experience the religious and architectural beauty of Mysore. It is a church and a cathedral that showcases the Neo-Gothic style of architecture, the stained glass windows, the relic of Saint Philomena and the museum of Christian art. It is also a place that offers various events and activities that celebrate the faith and culture of the Catholic community in Mysore. St. Philomena’s Church is a pride of Mysore and a treasure of India.