Tapkeshwar Mahadev Temple is a Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Shiva, located on the bank of the seasonal Asan river near Dehradun in Uttarakhand, India. The temple is known for its natural shivling that is continuously bathed by water droplets from the ceiling of the cave. The temple is also associated with the legend of Dronacharya and Ashwatthama from the Hindu epic Mahabharata. Visit during One Day Dehradun Local Sightseeing Trip by Private Cab
Tapkeshwar Mahadev Temple attracts many devotees and pilgrims throughout the year, especially during Shivaratri and Sawan. In this article, we will explore the various aspects of this temple, such as its location, timing, entry fees, how to reach, things to do, must see, significance, FAQs, and conclusion.
Location of Tapkeshwar Mahadev Temple
Tapkeshwar Mahadev Temple is located at Tapkeshwar Colony, Garhi Cantt, Dehradun in Uttarakhand. It is situated about 10 km from the Inter State Bus Terminus and about 7 km from the Dehradun railway station. The temple is surrounded by greenery and has a peaceful atmosphere.
Timing / Entry Fees Tapkeshwar Mahadev Temple
The temple is open for visitors from 6:00 am to 8:00 pm every day. There is no entry fee for visiting the temple. However, visitors have to pay a nominal fee for using the parking lot near the temple. The fee ranges from Rs 10 to Rs 20 per vehicle.
How to Reach Tapkeshwar Mahadev Temple
The temple is well-connected by road from various parts of Uttarakhand and nearby states. The nearest airport to the temple is Jolly Grant airport in Dehradun, which is about 32 km away from Dehradun. The nearest railway station to the temple is Dehradun railway station, which is about 7 km away from Dehradun. There are regular buses and taxis available from the airport and the railway station to the temple.
Alternatively, visitors can also take a shared auto-rickshaw or a cycle-rickshaw from Lakshman Jhula or Ram Jhula to reach the temple. The fare ranges from Rs 10 to Rs 20 per person.
Things to Do / Must See Tapkeshwar Mahadev Temple
The main attraction of Tapkeshwar Mahadev Temple is the temple itself, which is a sacred abode of Lord Shiva with a dripping shivling. Visitors can offer their prayers and worship to the shivling that represents Shiva’s grace and power. Visitors can also participate in the daily rituals and ceremonies that take place in the temple premises. Some of the things to do and see at Tapkeshwar Mahadev Temple are:
- The Temple Architecture: The temple has a simple and elegant architecture that reflects the ancient style of temple construction. The temple has a shikhara or a tower that is adorned with sculptures of various gods and goddesses. The temple also has a spacious hall where devotees can sit and meditate.
- The Temple Complex: The temple complex has various facilities and amenities for the visitors such as a library, a museum, a canteen, a souvenir shop, a water tank, a rest house and more. The complex also has a natural spring where visitors can take a holy bath before entering the temple.
- The Nature Trail: The temple complex also has a nature trail that goes around the temple campus and offers scenic views of the river and the hills. The trail also passes by some old buildings that were part of the ashram complex but are now abandoned.
- The Festivals: The temple celebrates various festivals throughout the year that attract many devotees and pilgrims. Some of the major festivals are Maha Shivaratri, Shravan Mela, Kanwar Yatra and more. During these festivals, the temple is decorated with lights and flowers and special rituals and ceremonies are performed.
Significance of Tapkeshwar Mahadev Temple
Tapkeshwar Mahadev Temple is not only a tourist attraction but also a religious and cultural landmark that has a lot of significance for Hindus and others. The temple is the place where Lord Shiva created Virabhadra out of his hair and sent him to destroy Daksha’s yagya where Sati had immolated herself. This story is mentioned in the Hindu scriptures such as the Puranas and the Ramayana.
The temple is also a symbol of faith and devotion, as it is visited by thousands of devotees every year who seek the blessings of Shiva. The temple is also a place where visitors can experience the ancient wisdom and traditions of India and its relevance in the modern world. The temple is also a place where visitors can connect with themselves, nature and the divine.
- Q: What is the best time to visit Tapkeshwar Mahadev Temple?
- A: The best time to visit Tapkeshwar Mahadev Temple is during the winter months from November to February. The weather is pleasant and the river is calm and clear. The temple is less crowded and you can enjoy the beauty of the temple without any hassle.
- Q: How can I participate in the festivals at Tapkeshwar Mahadev Temple?
- A: You can participate in the festivals at Tapkeshwar Mahadev Temple by visiting the temple during the festival days and joining the devotees in their rituals and ceremonies. You can also offer your offerings such as milk, bael leaves, coconut, flowers, fruits and water to the shivling. You can also witness the cultural events such as dances, dramas, concerts and more that take place during the festivals.
- Q: What are the other places to visit near Tapkeshwar Mahadev Temple?
- A: Some of the other places to visit near Tapkeshwar Mahadev Temple are:
- Sahastradhara: A natural spring with sulphur water that has medicinal properties.
- Lachhiwala: A picnic spot with a forest and a man-made pool.
- Asan Barrage: A wetland and a bird sanctuary that hosts migratory birds.
Tapkeshwar Mahadev Temple is a temple of Lord Shiva with a dripping shivling that attracts thousands of visitors every year who seek spirituality, culture and nature. It is a place where you can experience history, architecture and art at the same time. It is a place where you can create unforgettable memories with your family and friends. So, what are you waiting for? Plan your trip to Tapkeshwar Mahadev Temple today!.