Vaishno Devi Temple is a Hindu temple dedicated to Goddess Parvati, the wife of Lord Shiva, located on the banks of the Beas River in Kullu, Himachal Pradesh. It is also known as Mahadevi Tirth, and is one of the popular temples in the region. It attracts thousands of devotees and tourists every year. Visit during Kullu-Manikaran Local sightseeing. In this article, we will explore the location, timing, entry fees, significance, things to do, and FAQs of this temple.
Overview of Vaishno Devi Temple
Vaishno Devi Temple was built in 1966 by a saint named Swami Sewak Das Ji Maharaj, who found the abode of Goddess Parvati in the mountains. The temple enshrines an idol of Goddess Parvati in a small cave, along with an idol of Goddess Durga. The temple also has a Lord Shiva temple in its complex. The temple is managed by Sharda Maa Seva Trust, which runs a free langar and a sarai for pilgrims. The temple also has an acupressure treatment centre that operates free of cost. The temple radiates a serene and peaceful atmosphere, and offers a splendid view of the Kullu valley and the Beas river.
Location of Vaishno Devi Temple
Vaishno Devi Temple is situated on the Kullu-Manali National Highway No. 21, about 3.5 km from Kullu town. It offers a splendid view of the Kullu valley and the Beas river. The temple is easily accessible by road from Kullu town and other nearby places.
Timing / Entry Fees Vaishno Devi Temple
The temple is open for visitors from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM every day. There is no entry fee for visiting the temple. However, donations are accepted by the temple authorities for the maintenance and upkeep of the temple.
How to Reach Vaishno Devi Temple from City Centre
The temple is about 3.5 km from the city centre of Kullu, which can be reached by auto-rickshaw, taxi, or bus. The nearest bus stand is at Dhalpur, which is about 2 km from the temple. The nearest railway station is at Joginder Nagar, which is about 125 km from the temple. The nearest airport is at Bhuntar, which is about 10 km from the temple.
Things to Do / Must See Vaishno Devi Temple
- Offer prayers and seek blessings from Goddess Parvati and Goddess Durga, whose idols are installed in the main sanctum of the temple.
- Admire the architecture and craftsmanship of the temple, which reflects the Pahari style. The temple has a three-storeyed structure with wooden balconies and windows. The interiors are decorated with paintings, carvings, chandeliers, and furniture.
- Witness the cultural events and festivals that are held at the temple premises. Some of the popular events are Navratri festival in September or October, Winter Carnival in January, Folk Dance Festival in February, and Spring Festival in April.
- Enjoy the panoramic view of the Kullu valley and the Beas river from the temple terrace. You can also spot some snow-capped peaks of Himalayas on a clear day.
- Explore the other attractions in and around Kullu, such as Raghunath Temple, Manikaran Sahib Gurudwara, Great Himalayan National Park, Solang Valley, Rohtang Pass, etc.
Significance of Vaishno Devi Temple
The temple is a symbol of the faith and devotion of Kullu valley and its people. It reflects the art and culture of Pahari people who have lived in harmony with nature for centuries. The temple also showcases the legend of Swami Sewak Das Ji Maharaj who found the abode of Goddess Parvati in the mountains. The temple is a living testimony of Kullu’s history and heritage.
Q: What is the best time to visit Vaishno Devi Temple?
A: The best time to visit Vaishno Devi Temple is during the spring or autumn season (March to May or September to November), when the weather is pleasant and the valley is lush green.
Q: Is photography allowed inside the temple?
A: Yes, photography is allowed inside the temple premises. However, one should respect the sanctity and privacy of the temple and its devotees.
Q: Are there any accommodation options near the temple?
A: Yes, there are many hotels, resorts, homestays, cottages, and campsites available near the temple that cater to different budgets and preferences.
Q: Are there any eateries or shops near the temple?
A: Yes, there are many eateries and shops near the temple that offer local delicacies and souvenirs.
Vaishno Devi Temple is a must-visit destination for anyone who wants to experience the divine and serene essence of Kullu valley. It is not only a place of worship but also a place of beauty and tranquility. It is a perfect getaway for anyone who wants to escape the hustle and bustle of city life and reconnect with nature and divinity.