Vellore Government Museum is a museum situated within the premises of the historical Vellore Fort, in the heart of the Vellore city, in Tamil Nadu. The museum was established in the year 1985 as the 6th district museum to impart knowledge about the erstwhile North Arcot District (present Vellore and Thiruvannamalai) and its significance. The museum has a wide range of artifacts of art, archaeology, anthropology, geology, botany and zoology that showcase the rich flora and fauna and cultural heritage of the region.
The museum also has a fiberglass model of a 16 ft height life size Tyrannosaurus that attracts visitors at the entrance. The Museum is Famous tourist attraction in Vellore, Visit during One Day Vellore Local Sightseeing By Private Cab.
Location of Vellore Government Museum
Vellore Government Museum is located inside the Vellore Fort, which is a large 16th-century fort built by Vijayanagara kings. The fort is located in the centre of the Vellore city, which is about 140 km away from Chennai, the capital of Tamil Nadu. The fort and the museum are easily accessible by road, rail and air from various parts of Tamil Nadu and neighbouring states. The nearest airport is Chennai International Airport, which is about 130 km away from the museum. The nearest railway station is Vellore Town Railway Station, which is about 2 km away from the museum. There are also regular bus services to Vellore from Chennai, Bangalore, Tirupati and other cities.
Timing/Entry Fees Vellore Government Museum
Vellore Government Museum is open for visitors from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm every day except Fridays and public holidays. There is no entry fee for visiting the museum, but there are charges for photography and videography. The photography charge is Rs. 50 per camera, and the videography charge is Rs. 100 per camera.
How to Reach Vellore Government Museum
Vellore Government Museum can be reached by road from various parts of Vellore and nearby towns. There are auto rickshaws and taxis available for hire from the railway station, bus stand and other places. Alternatively, one can walk or cycle to the museum from nearby areas.
Things to Do/Must See Vellore Government Museum
There are many things to do and see at Vellore Government Museum, such as:
- Exploring: The main attraction of Vellore Government Museum is exploring its various galleries that display a variety of artifacts related to different fields of study. The museum has eight different galleries, namely:
- Introductory Gallery: This gallery has historical photographs of monuments, tourist places, geographical maps of Vellore and Thiruvannamalai districts.
- Stone Sculptures Gallery: This gallery has stone sculptures of different dynasties such as Pallava, Chola and Vijayanagara that depict various gods, goddesses and motifs.
- Pre History and Philately Gallery: This gallery has stone tools, hand axes, celts, burial urns, sarcophagus and potteries of different ages such as Paleolithic, Neolithic and Iron Age. It also has stamps of different countries that depict flora and fauna, culture and historical monuments.
- Art Gallery: This gallery has contemporary paintings of different artists in oil colour, water colour and acrylic mediums.
- Natural Science Gallery: This gallery has wet preserved and dry preserved specimens of zoological importance such as hyena, black buck, aquatic birds and others. It also has a diorama showcase that displays the natural habitat of some animals.
- Anthropology Gallery: This gallery has models of tribal huts, costumes, ornaments, weapons, musical instruments and utensils of different tribes such as Irula, Kurumba, Paniya and others.
- Geology Gallery: This gallery has rocks, minerals, fossils and meteorites of geological importance such as granite, quartz, coral, ammonite and others.
- Botany Gallery: This gallery has herbarium sheets, models and charts of botanical importance such as medicinal plants, economic plants, endangered plants and others.
- Shopping: Vellore Government Museum is also a good place to shop for souvenirs, handicrafts, books and other products related to history and culture. There are many stalls and shops near the museum that sell these items at reasonable prices.
Vellore Government Museum Nearby Tourist Attractions
There are many other tourist attractions near Vellore Government Museum that are worth visiting, such as:
- Vellore Fort: This is a large 16th-century fort built by Vijayanagara kings that houses several monuments of religious and cultural significance, such as the Jalakandeswarar Temple, the St. John’s Church and a Muslim mosque. The fort is known for its grand ramparts, wide moat and robust masonry.
- Sripuram Golden Temple: This is a Hindu temple dedicated to Goddess Lakshmi, the consort of Lord Vishnu and the goddess of wealth and prosperity. The temple is located in Sripuram, a spiritual park in Thirumalaikodi, about 9 km away from the museum. The temple is famous for its golden exterior that covers an area of about 1500 kg of gold. The temple also has a star-shaped path that leads to the main shrine, which symbolises the path to enlightenment.
- Amirthi Zoological Park: This is a zoological park that is located about 25 km away from the museum that covers an area of about 25 hectares. The park has a variety of animals and birds, such as deer, monkeys, peacocks, crocodiles, eagles and parrots. The park also has a waterfall and a children’s park.
Significance of Vellore Government Museum
Vellore Government Museum is not only a tourist attraction, but also a source of education and awareness for the public. It is a place that imparts knowledge about the erstwhile North Arcot District and its significance in terms of history, culture, flora and fauna. It is also a place that showcases the rich collection of artifacts that reflect the diversity and heritage of the region. It is also a place that promotes research and conservation of the natural and cultural resources.
Q: How big is Vellore Government Museum?
A: Vellore Government Museum covers an area of about 2 acres and has eight different galleries.
Q: How old is Vellore Government Museum?
A: Vellore Government Museum was established in the year 1985 as the 6th district museum.
Q: What is the best time to visit Vellore Government Museum?
A: Vellore Government Museum can be visited throughout the year, as the climate is moderate and pleasant. However, the peak season is from October to March, when the weather is cool and dry.
Vellore Government Museum is a must-visit destination for anyone who loves history, culture and nature. It is a place where one can explore, admire and learn from various artifacts that showcase the rich flora and fauna and cultural heritage of the region. It is a place where one can enjoy the beauty and tranquility of Vellore Fort, which is a historic and majestic fort. It is a place where one can experience the glory and spirit of Vellore.