Vivekananda Rock Memorial is a monument and popular tourist attraction in Kanyakumari, India’s southernmost tip. The memorial stands on one of the two rocks located about 500 meters off mainland of Vavathurai. It was built in 1970 in honour of Swami Vivekananda, who is said to have attained enlightenment on the rock. Visit during One Day Trivandrum To Kanyakumari Trip – Visit Beautiful Sunrise
The memorial also has religious significance as it is believed to have the imprint of Goddess Kanyakumari’s feet on the rock. The memorial consists of two main structures, the Vivekananda Mandapam and the Shripada Mandapam. Visit during Kanyakumari One day tour Package by cab
Location of Vivekananda Rock Memorial
Vivekananda Rock Memorial is located at Vivekananda Rock Memorial & Vivekananda Kendra, Jetty, Kanyakumari, Tamil Nadu, 629702, India. It is about 1 km (0.6 miles) from the city center and 90 km (56 miles) from the nearest airport at Thiruvananthapuram. The memorial is easily accessible by ferry from the mainland of Kanyakumari.
Timing/Entry Fees Vivekananda Rock Memorial
Vivekananda Rock Memorial is open to the public daily, including Sundays (excluding public holidays) between 08:00 am and 04:00 pm. There is an entry fee for visiting the memorial, which is 20 per person for adults and 10 per person for children. There is also a fee for ferry ride, which is 50 per person for regular ticket and 200 per person for special ticket.
How to Reach Vivekananda Rock Memorial
There are many ways to reach Vivekananda Rock Memorial from different parts of Kanyakumari and nearby areas. Some of the common modes of transport are:
- By Road: Vivekananda Rock Memorial is well-connected by road with various parts of the city and nearby towns. There are many buses, taxis, auto-rickshaws and cycle-rickshaws that ply to and from the jetty near the memorial. The jetty road, also known as Vivekananda Kendra Road or Beach Road, runs parallel to the coast and has signboards indicating the direction to the memorial.
- By Rail: Vivekananda Rock Memorial can be reached by train from various railway stations in Kanyakumari and nearby areas. The nearest railway station is Kanyakumari, which is about 1 km (0.6 miles) away from the jetty. Other nearby railway stations are Nagercoil, Tirunelveli and Thiruvananthapuram. From these stations, one can take an auto-rickshaw or cycle-rickshaw to reach the jetty.
- By Ferry: Vivekananda Rock Memorial can only be reached by ferry from the jetty near the memorial. The ferry service operates daily between 08:00 am and 04:00 pm, except during rough weather conditions. The ferry ride takes about 15 minutes to reach the rock.
Things to Do/Must See Vivekananda Rock Memorial
Vivekananda Rock Memorial offers a spiritual and cultural experience for visitors who want to learn about Swami Vivekananda and his teachings, as well as enjoy the scenic beauty of the rock and the sea. Some of the things to do and see at the memorial are:
- Visiting the Vivekananda Mandapam: Vivekananda Mandapam is a structure that houses a statue of Swami Vivekananda in a meditative posture. The statue was sculpted by Shri M.S.Nagappa Alva from Mysore. The mandapam also has a meditation hall where visitors can meditate in silence and peace.
- Visiting the Shripada Mandapam: Shripada Mandapam is a structure that marks the spot where Goddess Kanyakumari’s feet are said to be imprinted on the rock. The mandapam also has a shrine dedicated to Goddess Kanyakumari, where visitors can offer prayers and seek blessings.
- Enjoying the view: Vivekananda Rock Memorial offers a panoramic view of the sea and the coast, as well as the sunrise and sunset. Visitors can also see the Thiruvalluvar Statue, another popular attraction in Kanyakumari, from the rock.
- Exploring the surroundings: Vivekananda Rock Memorial is located near other attractions and places of interest in Kanyakumari, such as:
- Kanyakumari Temple: Kanyakumari Temple is an ancient temple dedicated to Goddess Kanyakumari, who is believed to be an incarnation of Goddess Parvati. The temple is located on the shore near the confluence of three seas – Bay of Bengal, Arabian Sea and Indian Ocean.
- Gandhi Mandapam: Gandhi Mandapam is a memorial dedicated to Mahatma Gandhi, the father of the nation. The memorial is built in the shape of an urn, which contains the ashes of Gandhi. The memorial is designed in such a way that on October 2, the birthday of Gandhi, the sun rays fall directly on the urn.
- Kanyakumari Beach: Kanyakumari Beach is a sandy beach that offers a relaxing and refreshing experience for visitors. The beach is famous for its multi-colored sand and its view of the sunrise and sunset.
Significance of Vivekananda Rock Memorial
Vivekananda Rock Memorial is not only a tourist attraction but also a significant place for Kanyakumari and India. Some of the reasons why Vivekananda Rock Memorial is important are:
- It is a spiritual site that promotes the awareness and interest in Swami Vivekananda and his teachings among visitors, especially youth. Swami Vivekananda was a great saint and leader of India, who spread the message of Vedanta and Hinduism to the world. He also inspired many freedom fighters and social reformers with his vision and courage.
- It is a cultural site that reflects the vision and contribution of Vivekananda Kendra, which was the organization behind the construction of the memorial. Vivekananda Kendra is a service-oriented organization that works for the welfare of humanity and the nation. It also organizes various activities and programs to spread the ideals and values of Swami Vivekananda.
- It is a natural site that showcases the beauty and diversity of Kanyakumari and India. It is one of the two rocks that emerge from the sea near the southern tip of India, where three seas meet. It also has a unique geological formation and a rich marine life.
Q: Is photography allowed at Vivekananda Rock Memorial?
A: Yes, photography is allowed at Vivekananda Rock Memorial for personal use only. However, visitors are requested to be respectful and discreet while taking photographs and not to disturb or offend anyone.
Q: Are there any facilities or amenities at Vivekananda Rock Memorial?
A: Yes, there are some facilities and amenities at Vivekananda Rock Memorial, such as toilets, drinking water, benches, parking, etc. There is also a souvenir shop where visitors can buy books, photos, CDs, etc. related to Swami Vivekananda and the memorial.
Q: Are there any other attractions or places near Vivekananda Rock Memorial?
A: Yes, there are some other attractions or places near Vivekananda Rock Memorial, such as Kanyakumari Temple, Gandhi Mandapam, Kanyakumari Beach, Thiruvalluvar Statue, etc.
Vivekananda Rock Memorial is a monument and popular tourist attraction in Kanyakumari, India’s southernmost tip. The memorial stands on one of the two rocks located about 500 meters off mainland of Vavathurai. It was built in 1970 in honour of Swami Vivekananda, who is said to have attained enlightenment on the rock. The memorial also has religious significance as it is believed to have the imprint of Goddess Kanyakumari’s feet on the rock.
The memorial consists of two main structures, the Vivekananda Mandapam and the Shripada Mandapam. Vivekananda Rock Memorial is a must-visit destination for anyone who wants to experience the spirituality and culture of Kanyakumari.