Wellington Lake is a serene lake situated in the Wellington town of Coonoor, a hill station near Ooty in Tamil Nadu, India. It is located about 3 kilometers from Coonoor bus stand and railway station. It is a popular destination for boating, fishing and photography. It offers a scenic view of the surrounding hills and tea estates. Visit during Coonoor Local Sightseeing By Cab
Location of Wellington Lake
Wellington Lake is situated on the slopes of the Nilgiri Hills, at an altitude of 1,800 meters above sea level. It is surrounded by lush greenery and eucalyptus trees, creating a tranquil and picturesque atmosphere. It covers an area of about 10 acres and has a depth of about 15 feet.
Timing / Entry Fees Wellington Lake
Wellington Lake is open from 10:00 am to 8:00 pm on all days of the week. The entry fee is Rs. 10 per person for Indians and Rs. 100 per person for foreigners. The boating fee varies depending on the type and duration of the boat. The pedal boat fee is Rs. 50 for 30 minutes and Rs. 80 for an hour for a two-seater boat. The row boat fee is Rs. 60 for 30 minutes and Rs. 100 for an hour for a four-seater boat.
How to Reach Wellington Lake
Wellington Lake can be reached by road from Coonoor or Ooty. You can take a bus, taxi or auto-rickshaw to reach the spot. You can also hire a private vehicle or a bike for more convenience. There is ample parking space available near the lake.
Things to Do / Must See Wellington Lake
Wellington Lake offers various things to do and see for tourists of all ages and interests. You can enjoy boating, fishing, photography, etc. at the lake. You can also visit the nearby attractions such as Sim’s Park, Rallia Dam, Laws Falls, etc.
- Boating: Boating is the main attraction at the lake. You can choose from pedal boats, row boats or motor boats to explore the lake and enjoy the scenic views.
- Fishing: Fishing is another activity that you can enjoy at the lake. You can catch some varieties of fish such as carp, catfish, tilapia, etc. at the lake. You will have to bring your own fishing equipment and license.
- Photography: Photography is another activity that you can enjoy at the lake. You can capture the beauty of the lake and its surroundings such as hills, tea estates, birds, etc.
- Sim’s Park: Sim’s Park is another attraction near the lake. It is a botanical garden that features various types of plants, flowers, trees, etc. from different parts of the world. You can also enjoy boating in the lake inside the park.
- Rallia Dam: Rallia Dam is another attraction near the lake. It is a small dam that provides water to Coonoor town and its surroundings. It offers a nice view of the valley below.
- Laws Falls: Laws Falls is another attraction near the lake. It is a beautiful waterfall that cascades down from a height of about 180 feet into a pool below. It offers a refreshing and relaxing experience.
Significance of Wellington Lake
Wellington Lake is a place of natural and recreational significance. It is one of the oldest lakes in Coonoor and was built by Sir Arthur Wellesley, who was later known as Duke of Wellington, in 1819. He was also responsible for establishing Wellington town as a military cantonment in Coonoor. The lake was originally used for irrigation purposes but later became a tourist attraction for boating and fishing.
Q: What is the best time to visit Wellington Lake?
A: The best time to visit Wellington Lake is from October to March when the weather is pleasant and clear.
Q: What are the facilities available at Wellington Lake?
A: There are basic facilities available at Wellington Lake such as parking, toilets, drinking water, etc. There are also some shops and stalls that sell snacks, beverages, souvenirs, etc.
Q: What are some tips for visiting Wellington Lake?
A: Some tips for visiting Wellington Lake are:
Wear comfortable shoes and clothes as you will have to walk to reach the spot.
Carry water, snacks and a camera to capture the views.
Be careful while boating or fishing as the lake is deep and the shore is slippery.
Do not litter or feed the animals at the place.
Respect the local culture and environment.
Wellington Lake is a serene lake situated in Coonoor that offers various activities and attractions for tourists. It is one of the oldest lakes in Coonoor and was built by Sir Arthur Wellesley, who was later known as Duke of Wellington, in 1819. It offers a scenic view of the surrounding hills and tea estates. It is a perfect place for a picnic, a boating, a fishing or a photography session. If you are looking for a refreshing and relaxing getaway in Coonoor or Ooty, Wellington Lake is a must-visit destination.