If you are looking for a place to explore the rich history and culture of Maharashtra, as well as enjoy the scenic beauty of nature, then Ajinkya Tara Fort in Satara is a perfect destination for you. Ajinkya Tara Fort is one of the most important forts in the Maratha Empire, and it offers a panoramic view of the surrounding hills and valleys famous tourist attraction in Satara, Visit during One day trip From Pune. In this article, we will tell you everything you need to know about Ajinkya Tara Fort, including its location, timing/entry fees, how to reach, things to do/must see, significance, FAQs, and conclusion.
Location of Ajinkya Tara Fort
Ajinkya Tara Fort is located in the Sahyadri mountain range, about 20 km from Satara city and 120 km from Pune. It is situated at an altitude of 3300 feet above sea level and covers an area of about 25 acres. The fort is surrounded by seven smaller forts, namely Nandgiri, Chavandgiri, Singhgad, Jarandeshwar, Sanjeevgad, Yawateshwar and Pedhyancha Bhairoba.
Timing/Entry Fees Ajinkya Tara Fort
The fort is open to visitors throughout the year, from sunrise to sunset. There is no entry fee for visiting the fort. However, you may have to pay a nominal parking fee if you are driving your own vehicle. You can also hire a guide at the base of the fort for a small charge.
How to Reach Ajinkya Tara Fort
The easiest way to reach Ajinkya Tara Fort is by road. You can take a bus or a taxi from Satara or Pune to reach the base of the fort. From there, you can either trek or take a jeep to reach the top of the fort. The trekking route is about 3 km long and takes about an hour to complete. The jeep route is about 5 km long and takes about 15 minutes to reach the fort.
Things to Do/Must See Ajinkya Tara Fort
There are many things to do and see at Ajinkya Tara Fort. Some of them are:
- Explore the fort’s architecture and history. The fort has several structures and monuments that reflect its glorious past. Some of them are the main gate (Maha Darwaja), the temple of Goddess Ajinkyatara (the presiding deity of the fort), the palace of Shivaji Maharaj (the founder of the Maratha Empire), the tomb of Afzal Khan (a general of the Adil Shahi dynasty who was killed by Shivaji Maharaj), the water tanks (Balekund and Sakhakund), and the watchtowers (Buruj).
- Enjoy the panoramic view of the surrounding landscape. The fort offers a breathtaking view of the valleys, hills, rivers, lakes, and forests around it. You can also see some other forts such as Rajgad, Purandar, Torna, Pratapgad, and Sajjangad from here. The best time to visit the fort is during sunrise or sunset when the sky is painted with different colors.
- Indulge in some adventure activities. If you are an adventure lover, you can try some activities such as rappelling, rock climbing, camping, and paragliding at Ajinkya Tara Fort. You can also go for a nature walk or a birdwatching session in the nearby forest area.
- Experience the local culture and cuisine. You can interact with the local villagers who live near the fort and learn about their lifestyle and traditions. You can also taste some delicious local dishes such as misal pav, vada pav, bhakri, zunka bhakar, pithla bhakri, and puran poli.
Significance of Ajinkya Tara Fort
Ajinkya Tara Fort is not only a tourist attraction but also a symbol of pride and valor for the Marathi people. The fort has witnessed many battles and events that shaped the history of Maharashtra and India. Some of them are:
- The fort was built by Bhoj II of Shilahara dynasty in 1170 CE.
- The fort was captured by Nizam Shahi dynasty in 1490 CE.
- The fort was captured by Adil Shahi dynasty in 1550 CE.
- The fort was captured by Shivaji Maharaj in 1656 CE after defeating Afzal Khan.
- The fort was used as a prison by Aurangzeb in 1700 CE.
- The fort was recaptured by Shahu Maharaj in 1708 CE after defeating Aurangzeb’s army.
- The fort was surrendered to British East India Company in 1818 CE after the Third Anglo-Maratha War.
Here are some frequently asked questions about Ajinkya Tara Fort:
- Q: How much time does it take to explore the fort?
- A: It takes about 2 to 3 hours to explore the fort thoroughly.
- Q: Is there any accommodation facility near the fort?
- A: Yes, there are some hotels and resorts near the fort where you can stay overnight. You can also camp at the top of the fort if you have your own tent and equipment.
- Q: Is there any food or water facility at the fort?
- A: Yes, there are some small shops and stalls at the base and top of the fort where you can buy snacks and water. However, it is advisable to carry your own food and water as well.
- Q: Is there any medical facility near the fort?
- A: No, there is no medical facility near the fort. You should carry your own first aid kit and medicines in case of any emergency.
Ajinkya Tara Fort is a must-visit place for anyone who loves history, culture, nature, and adventure. It is a place where you can learn about the glorious past of Maharashtra and India, enjoy the scenic beauty of nature, indulge in some thrilling activities, and experience the local culture and cuisine. It is a place that will leave you with unforgettable memories and impressions.