If you are fascinated by the royal heritage and culture of Rajasthan, then Alwar City Palace in Alwar is a place you should not miss. Alwar City Palace is famous tourist attraction in Alwar, visit during Alwar local sightseeing, and one day trip from Delhi. This article will tell you everything you need to know about this magnificent palace, including its location, timing/entry fees, how to reach, things to do/must see, significance, FAQ’s and conclusion.
Location of Alwar City Palace
Alwar City Palace, also known as Vinay Vilas Mahal, is located in the heart of Alwar city in Rajasthan, India. It was built by Raja Bakhtawar Singh in 1793 as the residence of the rulers of Alwar state. The palace is a splendid example of the fusion of Rajput and Mughal styles of architecture.
Timing/Entry Fees Alwar City Palace
The palace is open for visitors from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM every day except Friday. The entry fee for the palace is Rs. 10 per person for Indians and Rs. 50 per person for foreigners. The camera fee is Rs. 20 for still camera and Rs. 50 for video camera.
How to Reach Alwar City Palace
The nearest airport to Alwar City Palace is Jaipur International Airport, which is about 150 km away. The nearest railway station is Alwar Junction, which is about 3 km away. From there, you can take a taxi or a rickshaw to reach the palace. Alternatively, you can drive your own car or hire a cab from Jaipur or Delhi, which are about 170 km and 200 km away respectively.
Things to Do/Must See Alwar City Palace
There are plenty of things to do and see at Alwar City Palace that will make your visit worthwhile. Some of them are:
- Admire the graceful marble pavilions set on lotus flower bases in the central courtyard of the palace.
- Explore the grand halls and chambers that house government offices and display various artifacts and paintings.
- Visit the Government Museum that showcases rare manuscripts, miniatures, armory and other items belonging to the royal family of Alwar.
- See the Moosi Maharani ki Chhatri, a beautiful cenotaph built in the memory of Maharaja Bakhtawar Singh and his queen Rani Moosi.
- Enjoy the view of the artificial lake Sagar that has distinct pattern of stairs and towers in perfect symmetry.
Significance of Alwar City Palace
Alwar City Palace is not only a tourist attraction but also a place of historical and cultural significance. Some of its aspects are:
- The palace reflects the blend of Rajput and Mughal styles of architecture with domed arches, columned pavilions and intricate carvings.
- The palace was built by Raja Bakhtawar Singh as a tribute to his queen Shila Devi, who was a princess of Bharatpur.
- The palace witnessed several events during the Indian independence movement, such as the visit of Mahatma Gandhi in 1947 and the arrest of Maulana Abul Kalam Azad in 1948.
- The palace was handed over to the government in 1968 and was converted into the District Collectorate and a museum.
Q: Is there any online booking facility for visiting the palace or museum?
A: No, there is no online booking facility for visiting the palace or museum. You have to buy tickets at the spot.
Q: Is there any dress code or restriction for visiting the palace or museum?
A: No, there is no dress code or restriction for visiting the palace or museum. However, you should dress modestly and respectfully as per the local culture.
Q: Is photography allowed inside the palace or museum?
A: Yes, photography is allowed inside the palace or museum. However, you should not use flash or tripod as they may damage the artifacts or disturb the visitors.
Q: Is there any locker facility available at the palace or museum?
A: No, there is no locker facility available at the palace or museum. You should carry only essential items with you and leave your valuables at your hotel or vehicle.
Q: Is there any ATM or medical facility available at the palace or museum?
A: No, there is no ATM or medical facility available at the palace or museum. You should carry enough cash and medicines with you.
Alwar City Palace is a must-visit destination for anyone who loves architecture and history. It offers a glimpse into the royal lifestyle and culture of Rajasthan. It also showcases the diverse art and craft and the rich legacy of Alwar state. It is an ideal place for family outings, educational trips or solo travels. So what are you waiting for? Book your tickets now and enjoy a memorable stay at Alwar City Palace.