Beypore Beach is a charming beach in Kozhikode, Kerala, that offers a tranquil and picturesque escape from the hustle and bustle of the city. It is also a historic beach, as it has one of the oldest ports in Kerala, where trading was done with the Middle East. Beypore Beach is also famous for its shipbuilding industry, where wooden ships called dhows or urus are made by skilled craftsmen. In this article, we will explore some of the features and attractions of Beypore Beach that make it a must-visit place for travelers. Visit during One Day Calicut Local Sightseeing Trip by Private Cab
Location/ Timing / Entry Fees of Beypore Beach
Beypore Beach is located about 15 km away from Kozhikode city, on the mouth of Chaliyar River. It is easily accessible by road, rail, and air. The nearest airport is Calicut International Airport, which is about 23 km away. The nearest railway station is Kozhikode Railway Station, which is about 6 km away. There are also buses and auto-rickshaws available from the city to the beach.
The beach is open to visitors from 6 am to 6 pm every day. There is no entry fee for visiting the beach. However, there may be charges for parking, boating, cycling, and other activities.
How to Reach Beypore Beach
There are several ways to reach Beypore Beach from the city. One of the most convenient and eco-friendly ways is to take a cycle from the cycle station near the beach entrance. The cycle station provides cycles for rent at Rs. 10 per hour. The cycle ride takes about 20 minutes and offers a refreshing and healthy way to explore the beach.
Another way to reach Beypore Beach is to take a bus from the KSRTC bus stand or the Moffusil bus stand in the city. There are frequent buses that ply between the city and the beach. The bus fare is Rs. 10 per person and the journey takes about 30 minutes.
Alternatively, one can also hire a taxi or an auto-rickshaw from the city to the beach. The taxi fare may vary depending on the distance and traffic, but it usually ranges from Rs. 100 to Rs. 200. The auto-rickshaw fare may be around Rs. 50 to Rs. 100.
Things to Do / Must See Beypore Beach
Beypore Beach offers a variety of activities and attractions for visitors of all ages and interests. Some of the things to do and must see at Beypore Beach are:
- Enjoy the sun, sand, and sea: Beypore Beach is a clean and spacious beach that is ideal for relaxing, sunbathing, swimming, and playing. The beach has soft sand and calm water that create a soothing atmosphere. The beach also has some rocky formations that add to its charm. One can also enjoy the sunset and sunrise views from the beach.
- Visit the historical port: Beypore Beach has one of the oldest ports in Kerala, where trading was done with the Middle East since ancient times. The port was also visited by famous travelers like Ibn Battuta and Marco Polo. The port has some old warehouses, customs offices, and docks that reflect its rich maritime history.
- Explore the shipbuilding industry: Beypore Beach is famous for its shipbuilding industry, where wooden ships called dhows or urus are made by skilled craftsmen using traditional techniques. These ships are usually bought by Arab merchants for trading, fishing, or tourism purposes. One can visit the shipyards and watch the process of making these ships or even buy a miniature model as a souvenir.
- Go for boating: One of the most popular activities at Beypore Beach is boating. The beach has a boating facility that offers different types of boats, such as pedal boats, row boats, speed boats, etc., for visitors to enjoy a ride on the water. The boating charges vary depending on the type and duration of the boat ride, but they usually range from Rs. 20 to Rs. 100 per person.
- Try some adventure sports: For those who are looking for some thrill and excitement, Beypore Beach offers some adventure sports such as zip-lining, rock climbing, rappelling, etc. These activities are conducted by trained professionals and charge nominal fees.
- Taste the street food: Beypore Beach has some eateries and stalls that serve delicious street food, especially seafood. One can savor the flavors of Kerala dishes such as kallumakkaya (mussels), karimeen (pearl spot fish), kozhi porichathu (fried chicken), etc., at reasonable prices.
Significance of Beypore Beach
Beypore Beach is not only a scenic destination but also a historic one. It is here that the trade and cultural exchange between India and the Middle East took place for centuries. Beypore was a major port and a center of shipbuilding, where wooden ships were made and exported to various countries. Beypore also witnessed the arrival of various travelers, traders, and invaders, who left their mark on the history and culture of Kerala.
The Beach is also a cultural hub, as it reflects the diversity and harmony of Kerala. The beach is home to people of different religions, languages, and traditions, who coexist peacefully
Q: Is Beypore Beach suitable for children?
A: Yes, The Beach is suitable for children, as it has educational and recreational value for them. The beach teaches them about the history and geography of Kozhikode and Kerala. The beach also offers them a fun and relaxing place to play and enjoy.
Q: What are the best times to visit Beypore Beach?
A: The best times to visit Beypore Beach are from October to March, when the weather is pleasant and cool. The summer months from April to June can be hot and humid, while the monsoon months from July to September can be rainy and windy.
Q: What are some other attractions near Beypore Beach?
A: Some other attractions near Beypore Beach are:
Kappad Beach: A beautiful beach that is famous for its historical significance, as it is where Vasco da Gama landed in 1498.
Thusharagiri Falls: A scenic waterfall that is located about 50 km from Beypore Beach. It is a good place for trekking, camping, and birdwatching.
Tali Temple: An ancient temple that is dedicated to Lord Shiva. It is one of the oldest temples in Kerala and has a unique architectural style.
Beypore Beach is a perfect destination for those who want to experience the history, culture, and nature of Kozhikode. It is a place where one can learn about the past and present of Kozhikode, which was once a flourishing port and a hub of cultural exchange. It is a place where one can enjoy the beauty of the beach, the charm of the port, the diversity of the people, the taste of the cuisine, and the thrill of the sports. Beypore Beach is a place that will leave you with unforgettable memories and impressions.