Goa is a state in India that is known for its beaches, nightlife, culture, and heritage. It is a popular tourist destination that attracts visitors from all over the world. One of the most famous and beautiful beaches in Goa is Candolim Beach, which is located in the north of the state. Candolim Beach is a long and sandy beach that offers a variety of activities and attractions for all kinds of travelers. In this article, we will explore the location, timing, entry fees, how to reach, things to do, significance, and frequently asked questions about Candolim Beach is famous tourist attraction in North Goa, Visit during North Goa Local sightseeing.
Location of Candolim Beach
Candolim Beach is located in the Bardez taluka of North Goa district. It is situated about 15 km from Panaji, the capital city of Goa, and 37 km from Dabolim Airport, the nearest airport. It is part of a long stretch of coastline that includes other beaches such as Calangute, Baga, Anjuna, and Vagator.
Timing / Entry Fees Candolim Beach
Candolim Beach is open for visitors throughout the year. There is no entry fee or restriction for accessing the beach. However, some activities and facilities may have their own timings and charges. For example, water sports such as parasailing, jet skiing, banana boat ride, etc. are usually available from 9 am to 5 pm and cost around Rs. 300 to Rs. 1500 per person depending on the type and duration of the activity. Similarly, sunbeds and umbrellas are available for rent from 8 am to 6 pm and cost around Rs. 100 to Rs. 200 per day.
How to Reach Candolim Beach
Candolim Beach is well connected by road and rail to major cities in Goa and India. The nearest railway station is Thivim, which is about 21 km away. From there, one can take a bus, taxi, or auto-rickshaw to Candolim Beach. The journey takes about 40 minutes by road. Alternatively, one can also take a train to Madgaon or Vasco da Gama stations and then hire a local vehicle to Candolim Beach. The journey takes about 1 to 2 hours by road.
Another option is to take a flight to Dabolim Airport and then take a prepaid taxi or a bus to Candolim Beach. The journey takes about an hour by road.
Things to Do / Must See Candolim Beach
Candolim Beach offers a lot of attractions and activities for visitors who are looking for relaxation, adventure, entertainment, or culture. Some of the things to do and must see places in Candolim Beach are:
- Water Sports: Candolim Beach is one of the best places in Goa to enjoy water sports such as parasailing, jet skiing, banana boat ride, bumper ride, kayaking, scuba diving, snorkeling, etc. These activities are fun and thrilling and provide a great view of the Arabian Sea and the coastline. They are also safe and supervised by trained instructors and operators.
- Sunbathing and Swimming: Candolim Beach is ideal for sunbathing and swimming as it has clean and clear water and soft sand. There are also sunbeds and umbrellas available for rent for those who want to relax under the shade. The beach also has lifeguards and warning signs to ensure safety and security.
- Shopping: Candolim Beach has a number of shops and stalls that sell various items such as clothes, accessories, handicrafts, souvenirs, etc. One can find some unique and colorful products that reflect the Goan culture and lifestyle. Some of the popular items are beachwear, hats, sunglasses, bags, jewelry, pottery, paintings
- Eating and Drinking: Candolim Beach has a variety of restaurants, cafes, bars, and shacks that offer delicious and diverse cuisines and beverages. One can find local Goan dishes such as fish curry, xacuti, vindaloo, sorpotel, etc. as well as international dishes such as pizza, pasta, burgers, etc. One can also enjoy fresh seafood, coconut water, fruit juices, etc. at the beach shacks. For those who want to party, there are also some pubs and clubs that play live music and serve drinks and snacks.
- Aguada Fort: Aguada Fort is a historical and architectural attraction that is located near Candolim Beach. The fort was built by the Portuguese in the 17th century to defend their territory from the Dutch and the Marathas. The fort has a lighthouse, a moat, a jail, and a church. The fort also offers a splendid view of the sea and the sunset.
- Sinquerim Beach: Sinquerim Beach is another beautiful beach that is adjacent to Candolim Beach. It is quieter and less crowded than Candolim Beach and has a rocky shoreline. It is also a good place for water sports such as surfing, windsurfing, sailing, etc. There is also a dolphin spotting tour that operates from Sinquerim Beach.
- Candolim Church: Candolim Church is a religious and cultural attraction that is located in the Candolim village. The church was built in the 16th century and is dedicated to Our Lady of Hope. The church has a simple and elegant structure with white walls and a red roof. The church also has a statue of St. Francis Xavier, who visited Candolim in 1549.
Significance of Candolim Beach
Candolim Beach is not only a popular tourist destination but also a significant place for Goa and India. It has several historical and cultural significance that make it more than just a beach. Some of the significance of Candolim Beach are:
- Freedom Struggle: Candolim Beach was one of the places where the Goa Liberation Movement took place in the 1950s and 1960s. The movement was a struggle to end the Portuguese colonial rule in Goa and integrate it with India. The movement involved various forms of protests, demonstrations, strikes, and armed resistance by the Goan people. One of the leaders of the movement was Abbe Faria, who was born in Candolim and was a priest, revolutionary, and hypnotist.
- Music Festival: Candolim Beach is also one of the venues where the Sunburn Festival takes place every year in December. The Sunburn Festival is one of the largest electronic dance music festivals in Asia and attracts thousands of music lovers from all over the world. The festival features some of the best DJs and artists from various genres such as house, techno, trance, etc. The festival also has various other attractions such as food stalls, flea markets, adventure sports, etc.
- Film Shooting: Candolim Beach has also been featured in several films and television shows that have showcased its beauty and charm. Some of the films and shows that have been shot at Candolim Beach are Dil Chahta Hai (2001), Dhoom (2004), Golmaal (2006), Singham (2011), Dil Dhadakne Do (2015), etc.
Q: What are some of the safety tips and precautions to follow at Candolim Beach?
A: Some of the safety tips and precautions to follow at Candolim Beach are:
Follow the instructions and guidelines of the lifeguards and authorities.
Do not swim or venture into the water when it is rough or high tide.
Do not drink alcohol or consume drugs before or during water sports or swimming.
Wear sunscreen, sunglasses, and hats to protect yourself from the sun.
Keep your valuables and belongings in a safe place or locker.
Beware of touts, hawkers, and scammers who may try to cheat or harass you.
Respect the local culture and customs and do not litter or create nuisance.
Q: What are some of the other attractions or places to visit near Candolim Beach?
A: Some of the other attractions or places to visit near Candolim Beach are:
Fort Aguada: This is a 17th century fort that was built by the Portuguese to guard the entrance of the Mandovi river. The fort has a lighthouse, a jail, and a church. The fort also offers a panoramic view of the sea and the sunset.
Reis Magos Fort: This is another 17th century fort that was built by the Portuguese to defend their territory from the Marathas. The fort has a church, a museum, and a gallery. The fort also offers a splendid view of the Mandovi river and the surrounding landscape.
Coco Beach: This is a small and secluded beach that is located near Candolim Beach. It is a good place for fishing, boating, and dolphin spotting. It is also a good place for relaxing and enjoying nature.
Candolim Beach is a perfect destination for those who want to enjoy a relaxing and fun-filled vacation in Goa. It has something for everyone, whether it is water sports, sunbathing, shopping, eating, drinking, or sightseeing. It is also a place that has historical and cultural significance that adds to its charm and appeal. It is a place that can make one forget their worries and stress and enjoy life to the fullest. It is a place that is worth visiting at least once in a lifetime.