Goa is a state in India that is famous for its beaches, nightlife, culture, and heritage. It is a popular tourist destination that attracts visitors from all over the world. However, Goa also has some lesser-known and secluded beaches that offer a different and unique experience for travelers. One of these beaches is Coco Beach, which is located in the north of the state famous tourist attraction in North Goa, Visit during North Goa Sightseeing Package.
Coco Beach is a small and quiet beach that offers a serene and natural environment for those who want to escape the crowd and noise. In this article, we will explore the location, timing, entry fees, how to reach, things to do, significance, and frequently asked questions about Coco Beach.
Location of Coco Beach
Coco Beach is located in the Nerul village of North Goa district. It is situated about 12 km from Panaji, the capital city of Goa, and 35 km from Dabolim Airport, the nearest airport. It is part of a bay that includes other beaches such as Candolim, Calangute, and Baga.
Timing / Entry Fees Coco Beach
Coco Beach is open for visitors throughout the year. There is no entry fee or restriction for accessing the beach. However, some activities and facilities may have their own timings and charges. For example, fishing and boating are usually available from 8 am to 6 pm and cost around Rs. 100 to Rs. 500 per person depending on the type and duration of the activity.
How to Reach Coco Beach
Coco Beach is well connected by road and rail to major cities in Goa and India. The nearest railway station is Thivim, which is about 18 km away. From there, one can take a bus, taxi, or auto-rickshaw to Coco Beach. The journey takes about 30 minutes by road. Alternatively, one can also take a train to Madgaon or Vasco da Gama stations and then hire a local vehicle to Coco Beach. The journey takes about 1 to 2 hours by road.
Another option is to take a flight to Dabolim Airport and then take a prepaid taxi or a bus to Coco Beach. The journey takes about an hour by road.
Things to Do / Must See Coco Beach
Coco Beach offers a lot of attractions and activities for visitors who are looking for relaxation, adventure, nature, or culture. Some of the things to do and must see places in Coco Beach are:
- Fishing and Boating: Coco Beach is a good place for fishing and boating as it has calm and clear water and a rich marine life. One can rent a fishing rod or a boat from the local vendors and enjoy the activity at their own pace. One can also catch some fresh fish and cook them at the beach shacks or restaurants.
- Dolphin Spotting: Coco Beach is also known for its dolphin spotting tours that operate from the beach. These tours take visitors on a boat ride along the coast and show them the playful dolphins that swim in the sea. The tours are usually available from 8 am to 4 pm and cost around Rs. 300 per person.
- Swimming and Sunbathing: Coco Beach is ideal for swimming and sunbathing as it has clean and shallow water and soft sand. There are also sunbeds and umbrellas available for rent for those who want to relax under the shade. The beach also has lifeguards
- Swimming and Sunbathing: Coco Beach is ideal for swimming and sunbathing as it has clean and shallow water and soft sand. There are also sunbeds and umbrellas available for rent for those who want to relax under the shade. The beach also has lifeguards and warning signs to ensure safety and security.
- Eating and Drinking: Coco Beach has a few shacks and restaurants that offer delicious and affordable food and drinks. One can find local Goan dishes such as fish curry, xacuti, vindaloo, sorpotel, etc. as well as international dishes such as pizza, pasta, burgers, etc. One can also enjoy fresh seafood, coconut water, fruit juices, etc. at the beach shacks. For those who want to party, there are also some pubs and clubs that play live music and serve drinks and snacks.
- Reis Magos Fort: Reis Magos Fort is a historical and architectural attraction that is located near Coco Beach. The fort was built by the Portuguese in the 16th century to defend their territory from the Marathas. The fort has a church, a museum, and a gallery. The fort also offers a splendid view of the Mandovi river and the surrounding landscape.
- Nerul River: Nerul River is a natural attraction that is located near Coco Beach. The river flows through the village of Nerul and joins the Arabian Sea at the bay. The river is a good place for boating, fishing, and birdwatching. It is also a good place for relaxing and enjoying nature.
Significance of Coco Beach
Coco Beach is not only a popular tourist destination but also a significant place for Goa and India. It has several historical and cultural significance that make it more than just a beach. Some of the significance of Coco Beach are:
- Freedom Struggle: Coco Beach was one of the places where the Goa Liberation Movement took place in the 1950s and 1960s. The movement was a struggle to end the Portuguese colonial rule in Goa and integrate it with India. The movement involved various forms of protests, demonstrations, strikes, and armed resistance by the Goan people. One of the leaders of the movement was Dr. Ram Manohar Lohia, who visited Coco Beach in 1955 and addressed a public meeting.
- Film Shooting: Coco Beach has also been featured in several films and television shows that have showcased its beauty and charm. Some of the films and shows that have been shot at Coco Beach are Dil Chahta Hai (2001), Dhoom (2004), Golmaal (2006), Singham (2011), Dil Dhadakne Do (2015), etc.
Q: What are some of the safety tips and precautions to follow at Coco Beach?
A: Some of the safety tips and precautions to follow at The Beach are:
Follow the instructions and guidelines of the lifeguards and authorities.
Do not swim or venture into the water when it is rough or high tide.
Do not drink alcohol or consume drugs before or during water sports or swimming.
Wear sunscreen, sunglasses, and hats to protect yourself from the sun.
Keep your valuables and belongings in a safe place or locker.
Beware of touts, hawkers, and scammers who may try to cheat or harass you.
Respect the local culture and customs and do not litter or create nuisance.
Q: What are some of the other attractions or places to visit near Coco Beach?
A: Some of the other attractions or places to visit near The Beach are:
Candolim Beach: This is another famous and beautiful beach that is adjacent to Coco Beach. It offers a variety of activities and attractions such as water sports, sunbathing, shopping, eating, drinking, etc. It is also a place that has historical and cultural significance such as Aguada Fort, Sinquerim Beach, etc.
Panaji: Panaji is the capital city of Goa and a hub of culture, heritage, and entertainment. It has many historical and architectural attractions such as Old Goa (a UNESCO World Heritage Site), Fontainhas (a Latin Quarter), Miramar Beach (a popular beach), etc. It also has many restaurants, cafes, bars, and casinos that offer delicious and diverse cuisines and beverages.
Anjuna: Anjuna is a village and a beach that is located about 15 km from Coco Beach. It is famous for its hippie culture, flea market, trance music, and parties. It is a place where one can experience the alternative and bohemian lifestyle of Goa.
Coco Beach is a hidden gem for nature lovers who want to enjoy a peaceful and relaxing vacation in Goa. It is a place where one can experience the serene and natural beauty of the sea, the river, and the village. It is also a place that has historical and cultural significance that adds to its charm and appeal. It is a place that can make one feel refreshed and rejuvenated. It is a place that is worth visiting at least once in a lifetime.