Indore, the largest city of Madhya Pradesh, is known for its royal and historical heritage. One of the most impressive and elegant structures that reflect this heritage is the Hari Rao Holkar Chhatri, which is a cenotaph built in the memory of Hari Rao Holkar, the tenth ruler of the Holkar dynasty. Hari Rao Holkar Chhatri is a remarkable example of Maratha architecture, and a testimony to the cultural diversity and sophistication of Indore. Here are some of the reasons why you should visit this chhatri when you are in Indore. Hari Rao Holkar Chhatri is Famous tourist attraction in Indore, visit during Indore Local sightseeing By cab
Location Hari Rao Holkar Chhatri
The chhatri is located in Chhatribagh area of Indore, near Science Center Road. The chhatri is about 4 km away from Indore Junction Railway Station and about 13 km away from Devi Ahilya International Airport.
Timing/Entry Fees Hari Rao Holkar Chhatri
The chhatri is open to visitors from 7 AM to 6 PM on all days except Mondays. There is no entry fee for visiting the chhatri.
How to Reach Hari Rao Holkar Chhatri
You can reach the chhatri by various modes of transport such as bus, cab or auto. There are frequent buses that ply from different parts of the city to the chhatri. You can also hire a cab or an auto from any point in the city to reach the chhatri.
Things to do/Must See Hari Rao Holkar Chhatri
There are many things to do and see at the chhatri. Some of them are:
- Admire the architecture of the chhatri, which is a blend of Hindu and Islamic styles. The chhatri has a huge dome and two minarets on its sides. The chhatri also has a spacious courtyard and a water tank.
- Visit the prayer hall of the chhatri, which is beautifully decorated with petal motifs and ornate pillars. The prayer hall can accommodate up to 175,000 people at a time.
- Visit the madrasa or Islamic school attached to the chhatri, which provides education and training to Muslim students.
- Visit the library and exhibition hall that provide information and resources on Hindu and Islamic history and culture.
- Participate in various activities and programs that are organized by the chhatri such as workshops, seminars, lectures, film shows, festivals, etc. You can also interact with various experts and scholars who visit the chhatri.
Significance of Hari Rao Holkar Chhatri
The chhatri is not only a place of beauty but also a place of history and legacy. The chhatri has the following significance:
- It was built in 1843 by Tukoji Rao Holkar in memory of Hari Rao Holkar, who ruled the Holkar Kingdom from 1834 till his death.
- It was designed by a French descendant of Bourbon kings, who was employed by Ahilyabai Holkar.
- It was one of the first buildings in India to have European influences in its architecture.
- It was one of the most important political and cultural centers of Indore during the Holkar era.
Q: Is photography allowed inside the chhatri?
A: Yes, photography is allowed inside the chhatri with permission.
Q: Is there any facility for food and water at the chhatri?
The Hari Rao Holkar Chhatri is a must-visit destination for anyone who wants to experience the royal and historical heritage of Indore. The chhatri is a splendid and magnificent structure that reflects the faith and devotion of the Holkars. The chhatri is also a place of history and legacy, where you can learn about the Holkars of Indore and their contributions to the city. Whether you are a student, a researcher, a tourist or a citizen, you will find something to admire and appreciate at the chhatri.