Hussain Sagar Lake Hyderabad is a lake that is shaped like a heart and has a giant statue of Buddha in the middle. It is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Hyderabad and a symbol of the city’s culture and heritage. The lake was built in 1562 by Ibrahim Quli Qutb Shah, the ruler of the Qutb Shahi dynasty, who founded Hyderabad. The lake was named after Hussain Shah Wali, a saint who helped him cure a disease.
The lake was originally used for irrigation and drinking water purposes, but later became a recreational spot for the people of Hyderabad. The lake also witnessed many historical events, such as the treaty between the Mughals and the Golconda Sultanate, and the Telangana movement. Visit during Hyderabad Local Sightseeing by cab. Here are some details you need to know before visiting Hussain Sagar Lake:
Location of Hussain Sagar Lake
Hussain Sagar Lake Hyderabad is located in the heart of Hyderabad, connecting the twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad. The lake is about 5.7 km long and 4.4 km wide, covering an area of 4.4 sq km. The lake is surrounded by parks, gardens, monuments, and statues on its banks. The nearest metro station is Necklace Road metro station, which is about 1 km away. The nearest railway station is Nampally railway station, which is about 6 km away. The nearest airport is Rajiv Gandhi International Airport, which is about 25 km away.
Timing/Entry Fees Hussain Sagar Lake
Hussain Sagar Lake Hyderabad is open to visitors from 8:00 AM to 10:00 PM every day. There is no entry fee for visiting the lake. However, there are charges for various activities and attractions at the lake, such as boating, parasailing, jet skiing, etc. The charges are as follows:
- Mechanized boat: Rs. 55 per adult and Rs. 35 per child
- Jet ski boat: Rs. 250 per person and Rs. 300 per couple
- Rajahamsa boat: Rs. 100 per person (minimum 5 persons)
- Parasailing: Rs. 400 per person
- Still camera: Rs. 50
- Video camera: Rs. 100
How to Reach Hussain Sagar Lake
There are various modes of transport available to reach Hussain Sagar Lake Hyderabad from different parts of the city. You can take a bus, an auto-rickshaw, a taxi, or a metro to reach the lake. Some of the bus numbers that go to Hussain Sagar Lake are 8A, 8C, 8M, 8R, and 8U. You can also take a metro to Necklace Road metro station and walk for about 15 minutes to reach the lake.
Alternatively, you can drive your own vehicle or rent a car or a bike to reach the lake. There is enough parking space available near the lake entrance.
Things to Do in Hussain Sagar Lake
There are many things to do and see at Hussain Sagar Lake Hyderabad. You can:
- Enjoy boating at the lake and admire the scenic views of the city skyline and the Buddha statue.
- Visit the Buddha statue, which is a monolith carved out of white granite rock and stands at a height of 18 meters and weighs 350 tonnes. It was installed in 1992 on a red lotus pedestal on an artificial island called Gibraltar Rock.
- Watch the laser show at Lumbini Park, which is a musical fountain show with colorful lights and sound effects that depict the history and culture of Hyderabad.
- Explore the nearby attractions such as Birla Mandir, NTR Gardens, Sanjeevaiah Park, Indira Park, etc.
- Taste the local cuisine at the various eateries around the lake. You can try the Hyderabadi biryani, haleem, kebabs, qubani ka meetha, irani chai, etc.
Must See near Hussain Sagar Lake
Some of the must-see attractions near Hussain Sagar Lake Hyderabad are:
- The Tank Bund Road , which is a boulevard that runs along the lake and has statues of famous personalities from Telangana and Andhra Pradesh.
- The Necklace Road , which is a circular road that encircles the lake and resembles a necklace when seen from above.
- The NTR Memorial , which is a memorial dedicated to N.T.Rama Rao ,the former chief minister of Andhra Pradesh and a popular actor.
- The Prasads IMAX , which is a multiplex that has the largest 3D IMAX screen in the world.
- The Jalavihar , which is a water park that has various slides, pools, and rides for children and adults.
Significance of Hussain Sagar Lake
Hussain Sagar Lake Hyderabad is a significant historical and cultural site in Hyderabad. It was built by Ibrahim Quli Qutb Shah to commemorate the end of a plague that had affected his people. It is also said that he built it in honor of his beloved wife, Bhagmati, whom he later named the city after.
Hussain Sagar Lake Hyderabad is also a symbol of the religious and cultural harmony of Hyderabad, as it is located near a mosque, a temple, and a church. It is also a place of celebration, as it hosts various festivals and events such as Ganesh Chaturthi, Bonalu, Bathukamma, etc.
How much time does it take to visit Hussain Sagar Lake Hyderabad?
It takes about 2 to 3 hours to visit Hussain Sagar Lake Hyderabad, depending on your interest and pace. You can also spend more time if you want to enjoy the activities and attractions at the lake or visit the nearby attractions.
Is there any guide service available at Hussain Sagar Lake Hyderabad?
No, there is no guide service available at Hussain Sagar Lake Hyderabad. However, you can use audio guides, which are available in English, Hindi, Telugu, and Urdu languages for Rs. 60 per person.
Is there any food or water facility available at Hussain Sagar Lake Hyderabad?
Yes, there are food stalls and water coolers available at the lake premises. You can also find restaurants and cafes near the lake entrance.
Is photography allowed at Hussain Sagar Lake Hyderabad?
Yes, photography is allowed at Hussain Sagar Lake Hyderabad. However, you have to pay an extra fee of Rs. 50 for a still camera and Rs. 100 for a video camera.
Hussain Sagar Lake Hyderabad is a place where you can enjoy the beauty and tranquility of a lake that has a heart-shaped outline and a Buddha statue in the middle. It is a place where you can experience the history and culture of Hyderabad and its rulers, who built and beautified the lake. It is also a place where you can have fun and entertainment with various activities and attractions at the lake and around it. Hussain Sagar Lake Hyderabad is a place that will delight you and relax you.