Chowmahalla Palace Hyderabad is a palace complex that was once the residence and seat of power of the Nizams of Hyderabad, the rulers of the erstwhile Hyderabad State. The palace is a splendid example of the Nizams’ architectural style and elegance, blending various influences from Persian, Rajasthani, and European cultures. The palace is also a treasure trove of art, antiques, and history, showcasing the rich legacy and heritage of the Nizams. Famous tourist attraction in Hyderabad, Visit during Hyderabad Local Sightseeing By cab
Chowmahalla Palace Hyderabad is a must-visit destination for anyone who wants to experience the royal charm and grandeur of Hyderabad. Here are some details you need to know before visiting the palace:
Location of Chowmahalla Palace
Chowmahalla Palace Hyderabad is located in the old city of Hyderabad, near Charminar and Mecca Masjid. The palace is about 5 km from Hussain Sagar Lake and 6 km from Nampally railway station. The nearest airport is Rajiv Gandhi International Airport, which is about 21 km away.
Timing/Entry Fees Chowmahalla Palace
The palace is open to visitors from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM every day, except on Fridays and national holidays. The entry fee for Indians is Rs. 50 per person, and for foreigners is Rs. 200 per person. There is an additional fee of Rs. 50 for a still camera and Rs. 100 for a video camera.
How to Reach Chowmahalla Palace
There are various modes of transport available to reach Chowmahalla Palace Hyderabad from different parts of the city. You can take a bus, an auto-rickshaw, a taxi, or a metro to reach the palace. Some of the bus numbers that go to Chowmahalla Palace are 8A, 8C, 8M, 8R, and 8U. You can also take a metro to Charminar metro station and walk for about 15 minutes to reach the palace.
Alternatively, you can drive your own vehicle or rent a car or a bike to reach the palace. There is enough parking space available near the palace entrance.
Things to Do in Chowmahalla Palace
There are many things to do and see at Chowmahalla Palace Hyderabad. You can:
- Explore the four palaces that make up the complex: Afzal Mahal, Mahtab Mahal, Tahniyat Mahal, and Aftab Mahal. Each palace has its own distinctive features and decorations, such as chandeliers, paintings, furniture, carpets, etc.
- Visit the Khilwat Mubarak, which is the main durbar hall where the Nizams held their ceremonies and receptions. The hall has a magnificent crystal chandelier, marble platform, velvet canopy, and silver throne.
- Admire the collection of vintage cars and carriages that belonged to the Nizams and their guests. You can see models such as Rolls Royce Silver Ghost, Buick Super Convertible Coupe, Jaguar Mark V Sedan de Ville, etc.
- Check out the various galleries and exhibits that display the artifacts and memorabilia of the Nizams and their era. You can see weapons, costumes, jewelry, coins, manuscripts, photographs, paintings, etc.
- Enjoy the lush gardens and fountains that surround the palaces and add to their beauty and serenity.
Must See near Chowmahalla Palace
Some of the must-see attractions at Chowmahalla Palace Hyderabad are:
- The Grand Khilwat Clock Tower, which has been ticking since 1880 and has a unique mechanism that requires winding every week.
- The Council Hall Library, which has a rare collection of books and manuscripts in various languages such as Urdu, Persian, Arabic, English, etc.
- The Roshan Bangla or Roshan Bungalow , which was named after Roshan Begum ,the mother of the last Nizam Mir Osman Ali Khan . It was used as a guest house for dignitaries and celebrities who visited Hyderabad.
- The Bara Imam , which is a long corridor with rooms on one side that served as the administrative wing of the palace.
- The Shishe-Alat , which means mirror image , which is a hall with mirrors on both sides that create an illusion of infinite space.
Significance of Chowmahalla Palace
Chowmahalla Palace Hyderabad is a significant historical and cultural site in Hyderabad. It was built by Salabat Jung ,the fourth Nizam ,in 1750 and was completed by Afzal ad-Dawlah ,the fifth Nizam ,in 1869. It was the official residence and seat of power of the Nizams for more than 150 years, until the annexation of Hyderabad by India in 1948. The palace witnessed many important events and ceremonies, such as the accession of the Nizams, the coronation of the last Nizam, the signing of the standstill agreement with India, etc.
The palace is also a symbol of the artistic and cultural achievements of the Nizams, who were patrons of arts, architecture, and science. The palace showcases the finest examples of craftsmanship, design, and innovation that reflect the Nizams’ taste and vision. The palace also preserves and displays the rich heritage and legacy of the Nizams, who were one of the wealthiest and most powerful rulers in the world.
How much time does it take to visit Chowmahalla Palace Hyderabad?
It takes about 2 to 3 hours to visit Chowmahalla Palace Hyderabad, depending on your interest and pace. You can also spend more time if you want to see all the galleries and exhibits or visit the nearby attractions.
Is there any guide service available at Chowmahalla Palace Hyderabad?
Yes, there are guides available at the palace entrance who charge Rs. 300 to Rs. 500 for a guided tour of the palace. You can also use audio guides, which are available in English, Hindi, Telugu, and Urdu languages for Rs. 60 per person.
Is there any food or water facility available at Chowmahalla Palace Hyderabad?
Yes, there are food stalls and water coolers available at the palace premises. You can also find restaurants and cafes near the palace entrance.
Is photography allowed at Chowmahalla Palace Hyderabad?
Yes, photography is allowed at Chowmahalla Palace Hyderabad. However, you have to pay an extra fee of Rs. 50 for a still camera and Rs. 100 for a video camera.
Chowmahalla Palace Hyderabad is a place where you can experience the royal lifestyle and glory of the Nizams of Hyderabad. It is a place where you can admire the architecture and elegance of a palace complex that has been preserved and restored with care and passion. It is also a place where you can learn about the history and culture of Hyderabad and its rulers, who left an indelible mark on the city and its people. Chowmahalla Palace Hyderabad is a place that will fascinate you and inspire you.