Mall Road Shimla is the major hangout point and shopping center in Shimla, the capital city of Himachal Pradesh, India. Constructed during British colonial rule, the Mall Road is located a level below The Ridge, which is the main square of the city. The Mall Road has a number of showrooms, department stores, shops, restaurants and cafes that cater to the needs and tastes of the tourists and locals alike. One Day Shimla Local Sightseeing Trip By Private Cab
The Mall Road also has some historical and cultural landmarks that reflect the colonial legacy and the local heritage of Shimla. Mall Road Shimla is a must-visit destination for anyone who wants to experience the charm and beauty of the Queen of Hills. Visit during One Day trip Shimla Local Sightseeing Package – Visit Famous Place
Location of Mall Road Shimla
Mall Road Shimla is located in the heart of Shimla city, which is about 350 km away from Delhi, the capital of India. The Mall Road is easily accessible by road, rail and air from various parts of India. The nearest airport is Chandigarh International Airport, which is about 120 km away from Shimla. The nearest railway station is Shimla Railway Station, which is about 2 km away from Mall Road. There are also regular bus services to Shimla from Delhi, Chandigarh, Manali and other cities.
Timing/Entry Fees Mall Road Shimla
Mall Road Shimla is open for visitors from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm every day. There is no entry fee for visiting Mall Road, but there are charges for parking and photography. The parking charge is Rs. 10 per vehicle, and the photography charge is Rs. 50 per camera.
How to Reach Mall Road Shimla
Mall Road Shimla can be reached by road from various parts of Shimla and nearby towns. There are auto rickshaws and taxis available for hire from the railway station, bus stand and other places. Alternatively, one can walk or cycle to Mall Road from nearby areas.
Things to Do/Must See
There are many things to do and see at Mall Road Shimla, such as:
- Shopping: The main attraction of Mall Road Shimla is shopping for various items such as handicrafts, woollens, jewellery, books, antiques and souvenirs. The Mall Road has a number of shops that sell these items at reasonable prices. Some of the famous shops are Himachal Emporium, Minerva Book House, Maria Brothers Antique Shop and Tibetan Market.
- Dining: The Mall Road also has a variety of restaurants and cafes that offer delicious cuisines such as Indian, Chinese, Continental and Tibetan. The Mall Road also has some famous bakeries and confectioneries that sell mouth-watering pastries, cakes, chocolates and ice creams. Some of the popular eateries are Baljees Restaurant, Indian Coffee House, Cafe Sol and Trishool Bakers.
- Entertainment: The Mall Road also has some entertainment options such as cinema halls, amusement parks and gaming zones. The Mall Road also hosts some cultural events and festivals such as Summer Festival, Winter Carnival and Ice Skating Festival. Some of the popular entertainment venues are Gaiety Theatre, Ritz Cinema Hall, Fun World Amusement Park and Himalayan Aviary.
- Sightseeing: The Mall Road also has some historical and cultural landmarks that showcase the colonial legacy and the local heritage of Shimla. Some of these landmarks are Scandal Point, Kali Bari Temple, Town Hall Building and Gorton Castle. These landmarks offer a glimpse into the past and present of Shimla.
Nearby Tourist Attractions
There are many other tourist attractions near Mall Road Shimla that are worth visiting, such as:
- The Ridge: This is a large open space that runs along the Mall Road and offers a panoramic view of the snow-capped mountains. The Ridge also has some monuments such as Christ Church, State Library and Mahatma Gandhi Statue.
- Jakhoo Hill: This is the highest peak in Shimla that offers a bird’s eye view of the city. Jakhoo Hill also has a Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Hanuman, who is believed to have rested here while searching for Sanjeevani herb.
- Viceregal Lodge: This is a majestic building that served as the residence of the British Viceroy of India from 1888 to 1947. Viceregal Lodge also houses the Indian Institute of Advanced Study (IIAS) that conducts research in humanities and social sciences.
- Annandale: This is a picturesque valley that was used as a playground by the British for polo, cricket and golf. Annandale also has an Army Heritage Museum that displays various weapons, uniforms and medals.
Significance of Mall Road Shimla
Mall Road Shimla is not only a tourist attraction, but also a source of pride and joy for the people of Shimla. It is a place that celebrates the spirit and culture of the hill town. It is also a place that reflects the diversity and harmony of Shimla, as it has monuments of different religions, such as Hinduism, Christianity and Islam. It is also a place that preserves the historical and architectural heritage of Shimla, as it has buildings and structures that date back to the colonial era.
Q: How big is Mall Road Shimla?
A: Mall Road Shimla is about 1 km long and 10 m wide.
Q: How old is Mall Road Shimla?
A: Mall Road Shimla was constructed during British colonial rule in the late 19th century.
Q: What is the best time to visit Mall Road Shimla?
A: Mall Road Shimla can be visited throughout the year, as the climate is pleasant and cool. However, the peak season is from April to June and from September to November, when the weather is clear and sunny.
Mall Road Shimla is a must-visit destination for anyone who wants to experience the charm and beauty of the Queen of Hills. It is a place where one can shop, dine, entertain and sightsee in a vibrant and charming atmosphere. It is a place where one can enjoy the views of nature while sipping a cup of coffee or tea. It is a place where one can experience the glory and spirit of Shimla.