If you are a bird lover and want to enjoy the sight and sound of various birds in their natural habitat, you should definitely visit the Salim Ali Lake-Aurangabad. This lake, also known as the Salim Ali Sarovar, is a man-made lake that was built in 1990 by the Aurangabad Municipal Corporation. The lake is named after the famous ornithologist and naturalist Dr. Salim Ali, who visited the lake in 1996 and appreciated its biodiversity.
The lake is spread over an area of 20 acres and has a bird sanctuary that houses more than 200 species of birds. Here is everything you need to know about the Salim Ali Lake, Aurangabad. The Lake is Famous tourist attraction in Aurangabad, visit during Aurangabad Local sightseeing.
Distance From City Center Location of Salim Ali Lake-Aurangabad
The Salim Ali Lake is located near the Delhi Gate, one of the four main gates of the Aurangabad city. The lake is about 4 kilometers away from the city center and 7 kilometers from the Aurangabad airport.
Timing/Entry Fees of Salim Ali Lake-Aurangabad
The Salim Ali Lake is open to visitors every day from 6 am to 6 pm. The entry fee is Rs. 10 per person for Indians and Rs. 50 per person for foreigners. There is no camera fee or parking fee.
How to Reach Salim Ali Lake-Aurangabad
You can reach the Salim Ali Lake by road, rail, or air. The nearest railway station is Aurangabad, which is well connected to major cities like Mumbai, Pune, Hyderabad, Delhi, etc. From there, you can take a bus, auto-rickshaw, or taxi to the lake, which will take about 10 minutes. The nearest airport is Aurangabad, which has domestic flights from Mumbai, Delhi, Hyderabad, etc. From there, you can take a cab or a bus to the lake, which will take about 15 minutes.
Things to Do/See Salim Ali Lake-Aurangabad
The Salim Ali Lake has many attractions and activities for visitors of all ages and interests. Some of the things to do and see at the lake are:
- Watch the birds: You can watch the various birds that visit the lake throughout the year. You can spot some common birds like cormorants, egrets, herons, storks, ducks, geese, etc. You can also spot some rare and migratory birds like flamingos, pelicans, cranes, ibises, etc. You can also hear the melodious songs and calls of the birds like cuckoos, koels, bulbuls, parakeets, etc.
- Enjoy the nature: You can enjoy the scenic beauty of the lake by walking, jogging, cycling, or boating. You can also admire the various plants and flowers that grow around the lake like lotuses, lilies, jasmines, roses, etc. You can also spot some fish and reptiles that live in the lake like catfish, carp, turtles, snakes, etc.
- Visit the garden: You can visit the garden that is located near the lake and relax on the benches and swings. You can also play some games like badminton, cricket, football, etc. in the open space.
- Visit the nearby attractions: You can visit some of the nearby attractions that are located close to the lake like Bibi Ka Maqbara (2 km), Panchakki (3 km), Himayat Bagh (4 km), Aurangabad Caves (5 km), Daulatabad Fort (15 km), Ellora Caves (30 km), Ajanta Caves (100 km), etc.
Significance of Salim Ali Lake-Aurangabad
The Salim Ali Lake is not only a tourist destination but also a ecological and educational hotspot of Aurangabad. It provides a habitat for various birds and animals that enrich the biodiversity and the environment of the city. It also provides a platform for various researchers and students who study the behavior and the conservation of the birds and their habitats. The lake is a tribute to the passion and dedication of Dr. Salim Ali who devoted his life to the study and protection of the avian fauna of India.
- Q: How long does it take to explore the lake?
- A: It depends on your interest and pace but generally it takes about one hour to explore the lake.
- Q: Is there any cafeteria or restaurant near the lake?
- A: Yes there are some cafeterias and restaurants near the lake that offer snacks and meals at reasonable prices. Some of them are Cafe Coffee Day (1 km), Hotel Atithi (2 km), Hotel Yash Executive (3 km), etc.
- Q: What are some other places to visit near the lake?
- A: Some other places to visit near the lake are Bibi Ka Maqbara (2 km), Panchakki (3 km), Himayat Bagh (4 km), Aurangabad Caves (5 km), Daulatabad Fort (15 km), Ellora Caves (30 km), Ajanta Caves (100 km), etc.
The Salim Ali Lake-Aurangabad is a must-visit place for anyone who loves birds and nature. It offers a unique opportunity to witness the beauty and diversity of the avian world that fascinates the visitors with their colors and sounds. It also offers a chance to appreciate the history and culture of Aurangzeb and his successors who built this lake as a part of their palace complex. So if you are planning a trip to Aurangabad or nearby areas don’t miss out on visiting the Salim Ali Lake