Somnath Beach is a divine and delightful destination for anyone who loves nature, culture, and spirituality. The beach is located near the famous Somnath Temple, which is one of the 12 Jyotirlingas of Lord Shiva. The beach offers a serene and scenic view of the Arabian Sea and the temple. The beach is also a popular tourist attraction, offering a relaxing and refreshing experience for visitors. In this article, we will provide you with all the information you need to plan your visit to Somnath Beach, including the location, timing, entry fees, how to reach, things to do, nearby tourist places, significance, FAQs, and conclusion. Visit during One day Somnath Sightseeing Trip By Private cab
Location of Somnath Beach
Somnath Beach is situated near Veraval town, about 6 km from Somnath Temple. The beach is about 2 km long and has a width of 200 meters.
Timing / Entry Fees Somnath Beach
The beach is open to visitors from 6 am to 6 pm on all days. There is no entry fee for visiting the beach.
How to Reach Somnath Beach
The nearest airport to Somnath Beach is Diu Airport, which is about 85 km away. From there, you can take a taxi or a bus to Veraval and then another bus or taxi to Somnath Beach. The taxi fare is around Rs. 1500 and the bus fare is around Rs. 100.
The nearest railway station to Somnath Beach is Veraval Railway Station, which is about 7 km away. From there, you can take a bus or a taxi to Somnath Beach. The bus fare is around Rs. 20 and the taxi fare is around Rs. 100.
You can also drive to Somnath Beach from nearby cities such as Rajkot, Ahmedabad, Surat, etc. The road distance from Rajkot is about 190 km, from Ahmedabad is about 410 km, and from Surat is about 530 km.
Things to Do / Must See Somnath Beach
The main attraction of Somnath Beach is the beach itself, which offers a divine and delightful view and experience for visitors. You can see the clear water and the golden sand that contrast with the blue sky and the green trees. You can also see the majestic Somnath Temple that stands on the shore and adds to the beauty and sanctity of the beach.
Apart from admiring the beach, you can also enjoy various activities and attractions at the beach site, such as:
- Swimming: You can swim in the clean and calm water of the beach and feel refreshed and rejuvenated.
- Sunbathing: You can sunbathe on the soft and smooth sand of the beach and feel relaxed and energized.
- Camel Riding: You can ride a camel on the beach and have fun and adventure.
- Photography: You can take beautiful pictures of the beach and the temple and capture your memories.
- Shopping: You can buy some souvenirs and gifts from the stalls near the beach such as shells, beads, handicrafts, etc.
Somnath Beach Nearby Tourist Places
Somnath Beach is not only a divine and delightful destination but also a convenient base for exploring other nearby tourist places such as:
- Somnath Temple: Somnath Temple is one of the most sacred and ancient temples of Lord Shiva in India. It is one of the 12 Jyotirlingas of Lord Shiva and has a rich history and legend associated with it. The temple is also an architectural marvel that showcases various styles and influences over time. The temple is open from 6 am to 9 pm on all days and has an entry fee of Rs. 5 per person.
- Triveni Sangam: Triveni Sangam is the confluence of three rivers – Saraswati, Kapila, and Hiran – near Somnath Temple. It is a holy place where many pilgrims come to take a dip in the water and seek blessings. It is also a scenic place where you can see the different colors of water merging together.
- Prabhas Patan Museum: Prabhas Patan Museum is a museum near Somnath Temple that displays various artifacts and relics related to the history and culture of Somnath and Gujarat. The museum has various sections such as sculpture gallery, inscription gallery, painting gallery, etc. The museum is open from 10 am to 5 pm on all days except Mondays and has an entry fee of Rs. 10 per person.
- Gir National Park: Gir National Park is a wildlife sanctuary that is home to the endangered Asiatic lions and other animals such as leopards, deer, hyenas, crocodiles, etc. The park is also rich in flora and fauna and has various attractions such as safari, nature trails, bird watching, etc. The park is open from 6 am to 6 pm on all days and has an entry fee of Rs. 800 per person for Indians and Rs. 4800 per person for foreigners.
Significance of Somnath Beach
Somnath Beach is not only a divine and delightful destination but also a significant and meaningful site that has many values and meanings for the people and the environment of Gujarat. Some of the values of the beach are:
- Spiritual: The beach is a spiritual place that is connected to the Somnath Temple and Lord Shiva. The beach is believed to be the place where Lord Shiva’s Jyotirlinga first appeared on earth. The beach is also believed to be the place where Lord Krishna left his mortal body and ascended to heaven. The beach is also a place where many devotees come to worship and meditate.
- Historical: The beach is a historical place that has witnessed many events and changes over time. The beach is the place where many invasions and attacks took place on the Somnath Temple by various rulers such as Mahmud of Ghazni, Alauddin Khilji, Aurangzeb, etc. The beach is also the place where many leaders and personalities such as Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, K.M. Munshi, Mahatma Gandhi, etc. visited and contributed to the restoration and revival of the Somnath Temple.
- Environmental: The beach is an environmental place that supports a diverse and delicate ecosystem of water, land, and air. The beach is a source of livelihood for many fishermen and vendors who depend on the sea and the sand. The beach is also a habitat for many birds and animals that live in the water and the forests.
How long does it take to explore Somnath Beach?
It takes about one to two hours to explore Somnath Beach thoroughly. You will need some time to walk from Veraval to the beach and back. You will also need some time to enjoy the activities and attractions at the beach site.
Is there any facility for food and water near Somnath Beach?
There are some small shops near Veraval that sell snacks and water bottles. You can also find some restaurants near Somnath Temple that serve local cuisine such as dhokla, khaman, fafda, etc.
Is there any accommodation near Somnath Beach?
There are some hotels and guest houses near Somnath Temple that offer comfortable accommodation for visitors. Some of them are Hotel Somnath Atithigruh, Hotel Shivam, Hotel Shubh Suvidha, and Hotel Sun Plaza.
Somnath Beach is a divine and delightful destination for anyone who loves nature, culture, and spirituality. The beach offers a serene and scenic view and experience for visitors. The beach also has a spiritual, historical, and environmental significance that adds to its charm and appeal. If you are planning to visit Gujarat, make sure to include Somnath Beach in your itinerary. You will not regret it!