Somnath Sarovar is a calm and charming destination for anyone who loves spirituality, nature, and architecture. The place is located near Somnath Temple in Gujarat, India. It is a pond that is believed to be created by Lord Shiva himself and filled with water from all the holy rivers of India. The place is also a popular tourist attraction, offering a soothing and splendid experience for visitors. In this article, we will provide you with all the information you need to plan your visit to Somnath Sarovar, including the location, timing, entry fees, how to reach, things to do, nearby tourist places, significance, FAQs, and conclusion. Visit during One day Somnath Sightseeing Trip By Private cab
Location of Somnath Sarovar
Somnath Sarovar is situated near Somnath Temple, about 500 meters from the temple. The pond is about 100 meters in diameter and has a depth of 5 meters.
Timing / Entry Fees Somnath Sarovar
The place is open to visitors from 6 am to 6 pm on all days. There is no entry fee for visiting the place.
How to Reach Somnath Sarovar
The nearest airport to Somnath Sarovar is Diu Airport, which is about 85 km away. From there, you can take a taxi or a bus to Somnath Temple and then walk to Somnath Sarovar. The taxi fare is around Rs. 1500 and the bus fare is around Rs. 100.
The nearest railway station to Somnath Sarovar is Veraval Railway Station, which is about 7 km away. From there, you can take a bus or a taxi to Somnath Temple and then walk to Somnath Sarovar. The bus fare is around Rs. 20 and the taxi fare is around Rs. 100.
You can also drive to Somnath Sarovar from nearby cities such as Rajkot, Ahmedabad, Surat, etc. The road distance from Rajkot is about 190 km, from Ahmedabad is about 410 km, and from Surat is about 530 km.
Things to Do / Must See Somnath Sarovar
The main attraction of Somnath Sarovar is the pond itself, which offers a calm and charming view and experience for visitors. You can see the clear water and the lotus flowers that adorn the surface of the pond. You can also see the reflection of the sky and the temple on the water surface.
Apart from admiring the pond, you can also enjoy various activities and attractions at the place site, such as:
- Bathing: You can take a dip in the water of the pond and seek blessings from Lord Shiva. The water is believed to have healing and purifying properties and can wash away your sins and diseases.
- Praying: You can visit the temple of Lord Shiva near the pond and offer your prayers and offerings. The temple has a lingam that is said to be installed by Lord Krishna himself. The temple also has idols of Lord Ganesha, Lord Hanuman, Goddess Parvati, etc.
- Shopping: You can buy some souvenirs and gifts from the stalls near the pond such as shells, beads, handicrafts, etc.
Nearby Tourist Places Somnath Sarovar
Somnath Sarovar is not only a calm and charming destination but also a convenient base for exploring other nearby tourist places such as:
- Somnath Temple: Somnath Temple is one of the most sacred and ancient temples of Lord Shiva in India. It is one of the 12 Jyotirlingas of Lord Shiva and has a rich history and legend associated with it. The temple is also an architectural marvel that showcases various styles and influences over time. The temple is open from 6 am to 9 pm on all days and has an entry fee of Rs. 5 per person.
- Gita Mandir: Gita Mandir is a temple dedicated to Lord Krishna and the Bhagavad Gita, which is one of the most sacred and influential scriptures in Hinduism. The temple has 18 chapters of the Bhagavad Gita inscribed on its walls in Sanskrit. The temple also has a statue of Lord Krishna and his charioteer Arjuna in front of the temple.
- Prabhas Patan Museum: Prabhas Patan Museum is a museum near Somnath Temple that displays various artifacts and relics related to the history and culture of Somnath and Gujarat. The museum has various sections such as sculpture gallery, inscription gallery, painting gallery, etc. The museum is open from 10 am to 5 pm on all days except Mondays and has an entry fee of Rs. 10 per person.
- Triveni Sangam: Triveni Sangam is the confluence of three rivers – Saraswati, Kapila, and Hiran – near Somnath Temple. It is a holy place where many pilgrims come to take a dip in the water and seek blessings. It is also a scenic place where you can see the different colors of water merging together.
Significance of Somnath Sarovar
Somnath Sarovar is not only a calm and charming destination but also a significant and meaningful site that has many values and meanings for the people and the environment of Gujarat. Some of the values of the place are:
- Religious: The place is a religious place that is created by Lord Shiva himself and filled with water from all the holy rivers of India. The place is believed to be the place where Lord Shiva performed his tandava dance after consuming the poison from the churning of the ocean. The place is also a place where many devotees come to worship and seek blessings from Lord Shiva.
- Cultural: The place is a cultural place that showcases the art and architecture of Gujarat and India. The place has a temple of Lord Shiva that reflects the skill and craftsmanship of the local artisans. The place also displays the Sanskrit language and script that are the roots of Indian literature and culture.
- Environmental: The place is an environmental place that supports a diverse and delicate ecosystem of water, land, and air. The place is a source of water for irrigation and drinking purposes for the nearby villages. The place also supports a rich biodiversity of flora and fauna that are endemic to Gujarat.
How long does it take to explore Somnath Sarovar?
It takes about half an hour to explore Somnath Sarovar thoroughly. You will need some time to walk from Somnath Temple to the pond and back. You will also need some time to enjoy the activities and attractions at the pond site.
Is there any facility for food and water near Somnath Sarovar?
There are some small shops near Somnath Temple that sell snacks and water bottles. You can also find some restaurants near Somnath Temple that serve local cuisine such as dhokla, khaman, fafda, etc.
Is there any accommodation near Somnath Sarovar?
There are some hotels and guest houses near Somnath Temple that offer comfortable accommodation for visitors. Some of them are Hotel Somnath Atithigruh, Hotel Shivam, Hotel Shubh Suvidha, and Hotel Sun Plaza.
Somnath Sarovar is a calm and charming destination for anyone who loves spirituality, nature, and architecture. The place offers a soothing and splendid view and experience for visitors. The place also has a religious, cultural, and environmental significance that adds to its charm and appeal. If you are planning to visit Gujarat, make sure to include Somnath Sarovar in your itinerary. You will not regret it!