Bhopal, the capital city of Madhya Pradesh, is known for its religious and spiritual diversity. One of the most prominent and sacred places of worship in the city is the Taj-ul-Masajid, which is the largest mosque in India and one of the largest mosques in Asia. Taj-ul-Masajid is a splendid example of Mughal architecture, and a testimony to the Islamic faith and culture of Bhopal. Here are some of the reasons why you should visit this mosque when you are in Bhopal. Taj-ul-Masajid famous tourist attraction in Bhopal, visit during Bhopal Local Sightseeing By cab
Location of Taj-ul-Masajid
The mosque is located in the heart of Bhopal city, near Chowk Bazaar and Iqbal Maidan. The mosque is about 4 km away from Bhopal Junction Railway Station and about 13 km away from Raja Bhoj Airport.
Timing/Entry Fees Taj-ul-Masajid
The mosque is open to visitors from 6 AM to 8 PM on all days except Fridays and national holidays. There is no entry fee for visiting the mosque. However, non-Muslims are not allowed inside the mosque during prayer times.
How to Reach Taj-ul-Masajid
You can reach the mosque by various modes of transport such as bus, cab or auto. There are frequent buses that ply from different parts of the city to the mosque. You can also hire a cab or an auto from any point in the city to reach the mosque.
Things to do/Must See Taj-ul-Masajid
There are many things to do and see at the mosque. Some of them are:
- Admire the architecture of the mosque, which is a blend of Mughal and Indo-Islamic styles. The mosque has three white domes on its rooftop and two 67m tall minarets on its sides. The mosque also has a huge courtyard and a water tank.
- Visit the prayer hall of the mosque, which is beautifully decorated with petal motifs and ornate pillars. The prayer hall can accommodate up to 175,000 people at a time.
- Visit the madrasa or Islamic school attached to the mosque, which provides education and training to Muslim students.
- Visit the library and exhibition hall that provide information and resources on Islamic history and culture.
- Participate in various activities and programs that are organized by the mosque such as workshops, seminars, lectures, film shows, festivals, etc. You can also interact with various experts and scholars who visit the mosque.
Significance of Taj-ul-Masajid
The mosque is not only a place of worship but also a place of history and legacy. The mosque has the following significance:
- It was built in the 19th century by Nawab Shah Jahan Begum of Bhopal, who was one of the first female rulers of India.
- It was designed by a French descendant of Bourbon kings, who was employed by Shah Jahan Begum.
- It was one of the first buildings in India to have European influences in its architecture.
- It was one of the most important political and cultural centers of Bhopal during the Nawabi era.
Q: Is photography allowed inside the mosque?
A: Yes, photography is allowed inside the mosque with permission.
Q: Is there any facility for food and water at the mosque?
The Taj-ul-Masajid is a must-visit destination for anyone who wants to experience the Islamic culture and heritage of Bhopal. The mosque is a majestic and magnificent structure that reflects the faith and devotion of the Muslim community. The mosque is also a place of history and legacy, where you can learn about the Nawabs of Bhopal and their contributions to the city. Whether you are a student, a researcher, a tourist or a citizen, you will find something to admire and appreciate at the mosque.