Khajuraho is not only a place of historical and cultural significance, but also a destination that offers a variety of experiences for travelers of all interests and preferences. Here are some of the best things to do and places to visit in Khajuraho. Visit during One Day Khajuraho Local Sightseeing Trip By cab
Khajuraho is a UNESCO World Heritage Site in Madhya Pradesh, India, famous for its ancient temples that depict some of the finest art and architecture in the world. The temples were built between the 9th and 12th centuries by the Chandela dynasty, and are renowned for their erotic sculptures that represent various aspects of life, including love, war, spirituality, and everyday scenes. Visit during One day Khajuraho Local Sightseeing by Private cab
Overview of Khajuraho
Khajuraho is located in the Bundelkhand region of Madhya Pradesh, about 175 km from Jhansi. The nearest airport is Khajuraho Airport, which is connected to Delhi, Varanasi, and Agra by regular flights. The nearest railway station is Khajuraho Railway Station, which is connected to Delhi, Agra, Varanasi, and other major cities by trains. Khajuraho can also be reached by road from Jhansi, Orchha, Panna, Satna, and other nearby towns. Best 10 Famous Tourist Destinations in Rajasthan
The best time to visit Khajuraho
Khajuraho has a tropical climate, with hot summers, mild winters, and moderate rainfall. The average temperature ranges from 10°C to 40°C throughout the year. The best time to visit Khajuraho is from October to March, when the weather is pleasant and ideal for sightseeing and outdoor activities.
Khajuraho offers a range of accommodation options, from luxury hotels and resorts to budget guesthouses and homestays. Some of the popular places to stay in Khajuraho are The Lalit Temple View, Radisson Jass Hotel, Hotel Clarks Khajuraho, Hotel Chandela, and Hotel Harmony. Khajuraho also has a variety of restaurants and cafes that serve local, Indian, and international cuisines. Some of the famous dishes to try in Khajuraho are korma, dal bafla, baigan bharta, poha, jalebi, and lassi.
Best Things to Do in Khajuraho
Khajuraho is not only a place to admire the stunning temples, but also a place to enjoy various activities that will make your trip memorable and fun. Here are some of the best things to do in Khajuraho:
- Watch the light and sound show: Every evening, there is a light and sound show at the Western Group of Temples, which narrates the history and legends of Khajuraho in an impressive way. The show is available in Hindi and English, and lasts for about an hour. The show is a great way to learn more about the culture and heritage of Khajuraho, and to witness the temples in a different light.
- Visit the Khajuraho Museum: The Khajuraho Museum, also known as the Archaeological Museum, is a must-visit for anyone interested in the history and art of Khajuraho. The museum displays a collection of sculptures, inscriptions, paintings, and artifacts that belong to the Chandela period. The museum also has a library, a photo gallery, and a model of the original layout of the Khajuraho temples.
- Enjoy a boat ride on the Khajuraho Lake: The Khajuraho Lake, also known as the Beni Sagar Lake, is a scenic spot that offers a relaxing and refreshing experience. The lake is surrounded by greenery and hills, and is a perfect place to enjoy a boat ride, a picnic, or a walk. The lake is also a popular spot for birdwatching, as it attracts many migratory and local birds.
- Experience the Khajuraho Dance Festival: The Khajuraho Dance Festival is an annual event that showcases the classical dance forms of India, such as Bharatanatyam, Kathak, Odissi, Kuchipudi, Manipuri, and Mohiniyattam. The festival is held in February or March, and features some of the best dancers and artists from across the country. The festival is a treat for the eyes and ears, as the dancers perform against the backdrop of the illuminated temples.
- Explore the nearby attractions: Khajuraho is also a base for exploring some of the nearby attractions that are worth visiting. Some of the places that you can visit from Khajuraho are:
- Panna National Park: Panna National Park is a wildlife sanctuary that is home to many animals, such as tigers, leopards, sloth bears, deer, antelopes, and crocodiles. The park also has a rich variety of flora and fauna, and is a paradise for nature lovers and wildlife enthusiasts. The park offers jeep safaris, boat rides, and elephant rides to explore the park.
- Raneh Falls: Raneh Falls is a spectacular waterfall that is formed by the Ken River. The waterfall is about 30 km from Khajuraho, and is a sight to behold, especially during the monsoon season. The waterfall has a unique feature of having different colored rocks, such as pink, red, green, and gray, that create a rainbow effect. The waterfall also has a canyon, which is one of the deepest in India.
- Pandav Falls: Pandav Falls is another beautiful waterfall that is located near the Panna National Park. The waterfall is about 35 km from Khajuraho, and is believed to be the place where the Pandavas of the Mahabharata spent some time during their exile. The waterfall has a pool at the bottom, where you can take a dip or enjoy a picnic. The waterfall is also surrounded by caves, temples, and rock paintings that add to its charm.
Best Places to Visit in Khajuraho
Khajuraho is famous for its temples, which are divided into three groups: the Western Group, the Eastern Group, and the Southern Group. The temples are dedicated to various Hindu and Jain deities, and are adorned with intricate carvings and sculptures that depict various themes, such as mythology, erotica, music, dance, and daily life. The temples are also examples of the Nagara style of architecture, which is characterized by a high platform, a shikhara (spire), a mandapa (hall), and a garbhagriha (sanctum). Here are some of the best places to visit in Khajuraho:
Khajuraho Temples are a group of Hindu and Jain temples in Chhatarpur district, Madhya Pradesh, India. They are a UNESCO World Heritage Site and are famous for their nagara-style architectural symbolism and a few erotic sculptures. The temples were built between 885 CE and 1000 CE by the Chandela dynasty and reflect the religious and cultural diversity of the region. The temples are also known for their exquisite carvings and sculptures that depict various aspects of life, such as worship, love, war, music, dance, and nature. Visit during Khajuraho local sightseeing By cab Khajuraho Temples Location/ Timing and Entry Fees…
Khandarya Mahadev Temple, also known as Kandariya Mahadeva Temple, is the largest and most ornate Hindu temple in the Khajuraho group of monuments in Madhya Pradesh, India. It is dedicated to Shiva, the Great God of the Cave, and is considered one of the best examples of nagara-style temple architecture and sculpture in India. Khandarya Mahadev Temple was built by the Chandela ruler Vidyadhara in the 11th century CE and is decorated with a profusion of sculptures that depict various aspects of life, such as worship, love, war, music, dance, and nature. Visit during Khajuraho Local sightseeing By cab Khandarya…
Devi Jagdambi Temple, also known as Devi Jagadambi Temple or Jagadambika Temple, is an ancient temple located in the western group of the Khajuraho group of monuments in Madhya Pradesh, India. Khajuraho is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is famous for its nagara-style temples and sculptures. Devi Jagdambi Temple was built by the Chandela rulers between 1000 CE and 1025 CE and is dedicated to the Mother Goddess, who is variously identified as Parvati, Kali or Jagadambi. The temple is one of the most finely decorated temples in Khajuraho and is known for its exquisite carvings and sculptures that…
Vishwanath Temple is one of the most prominent and beautiful temples in Khajuraho, a UNESCO World Heritage Site in Madhya Pradesh, India. Vishwanath temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva, the supreme deity of Hinduism, who is also known as Vishvanatha, meaning “Lord of the Universe”. In this article, we will explore the location, timing, entry fees, significance, and other aspects of this magnificent temple. Visit Khajuraho in Local sightseeing By cab Location of Vishwanath Temple Vishwanath Temple is located among the western group of Khajuraho Monuments, which are situated in the Chhatarpur district of Madhya Pradesh. The temple is about…
Khajuraho is a small town in the Chhatarpur district of Madhya Pradesh, India, famous for its exquisite temples that showcase the rich cultural heritage of the Chandela dynasty. The Khajuraho Group of Monuments, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, consists of about 20 temples that belong to Hinduism and Jainism. Khajuraho Western Group of Temples were built between the 9th and 12th centuries CE by the Chandela rulers, who were patrons of art and architecture. Top 11 Places To Visit in Khajuraho Khajuraho Western Group of Temples are renowned for their Nagara-style architectural symbolism and their erotic sculptures that depict various aspects…
The Lakshmana Temple is a 10th-century Hindu temple built by Yashovarman during the Chandela dynasty located in Khajuraho, India. It is dedicated to Vaikuntha Vishnu – an aspect of Vishnu. As part of the Khajuraho Group of Monuments, and owing to its architecture and religious importance, the temple was inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1986. Visit during Khajuraho One day tour By cab Overview of Lakshmana Temple-Khajuraho The Lakshmana Temple is one of the oldest and most ornate temples in the Western group of Khajuraho. It was built by King Yashovarman, who consolidated the Chandela power in the region…
Best Tour Package to Khajuraho
A 1 Day Khajuraho Tour Package is a perfect way to explore the main attractions of this fascinating town, and witness the cultural and historical richness of India. You can visit the Western, Eastern, and Southern groups of temples, each with its own style and theme. You can admire the intricate carvings and designs of the Kandariya Mahadev Temple, the Lakshman Temple, the Devi Jagadamba Temple, the Vishwanath Temple, the Dulhadev Temple, and the Chitragupt Temple, among others. You can also enjoy the sound and light show at the Western group of temples, which narrates the history and legends of…
What is the significance of the erotic sculptures in Khajuraho?
The erotic sculptures in Khajuraho are one of the most intriguing and controversial aspects of the temples. There are various theories and interpretations about their meaning and purpose, such as:
They represent the tantric philosophy of union and transcendence, which is achieved through the integration of the physical and the spiritual aspects of life.
They depict the various stages of human life, such as birth, marriage, death, and rebirth, and the role of sexuality in each stage.
They illustrate the Kamasutra, the ancient treatise on love and sex, which was written by Vatsyayana, who was a contemporary of the Chandela kings.
They are a form of artistic expression and aesthetic beauty, which celebrate the diversity and joy of human existence.
Whatever the reason, the erotic sculptures in Khajuraho are a testament to the openness and tolerance of the Chandela culture, and the richness and complexity of the Indian civilization.
How long does it take to see all the temples in Khajuraho?
It depends on your interest and pace, but generally, it takes about two to three days to see all the temples in Khajuraho. You can either hire a guide, a bicycle, or a rickshaw to explore the temples, or you can walk around and discover them on your own. You can also plan your itinerary according to the group and location of the temples, such as:
Day 1: Visit the Western Group of Temples, which are the most famous and impressive ones, and watch the light and sound show in the evening.
Day 2: Visit the Eastern Group of Temples, which are mostly Jain temples, and the Southern Group of Temples, which are less crowded and more secluded.
Day 3: Visit the nearby attractions, such as the Panna National Park, the Raneh Falls, and the Pandav Falls, which are within an hour’s drive from Khajuraho.
What are the other things to do in Khajuraho besides visiting the temples?
Khajuraho is not only a place of temples, but also a place of culture, nature, and adventure. Some of the other things to do in Khajuraho besides visiting the temples are:
Shop for souvenirs, such as handicrafts, textiles, paintings, and sculptures, at the local markets and shops, such as the Shilpgram, the Rajnagar Market, and the Khajuraho Bazaar.
Experience the rural life and culture of Khajuraho, by visiting the nearby villages, such as Sevagram, Rajnagar, and Benisagar, and interacting with the locals, who are friendly and hospitable.
Indulge in some adventure activities, such as cycling, trekking, camping, and rafting, in the surrounding areas of Khajuraho, such as the Ken River, the Panna Tiger Reserve, and the Vindhya Hills.
Relax and rejuvenate yourself, by availing the spa and wellness services, such as Ayurveda, yoga, and meditation, offered by some of the hotels and resorts in Khajuraho, such as the Lalit Temple View, the Radisson Jass Hotel, and the Hotel Chandela.
Khajuraho is a place that will enchant you with its beauty, history, and culture. It is a place that will inspire you with its art, architecture, and philosophy. It is a place that will surprise you with its diversity, vibrancy, and charm. Khajuraho is a place that you should visit at least once in your lifetime, and experience the magic and mystery of the temples of love.