If you want to witness the royal splendor and glory of Rajasthan, then you should visit the City Palace in Jaipur. It is a splendid palace and museum complex that was built by the Rajput rulers of Jaipur in the 18th century. It is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Jaipur and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Visit during Jaipur local sightseeing and One day trip From Delhi.
City Palace is located in the heart of Jaipur city, near Jantar Mantar and Hawa Mahal. It covers a large area and has several buildings, courtyards, gardens, temples, and galleries that showcase the history and culture of Jaipur. The palace is built with red and pink sandstone and has a blend of Rajput and Mughal architectural styles. It has many beautiful and intricate features such as the Diwan-e-Aam (Hall of Public Audience), the Diwan-e-Khas (Hall of Private Audience), the Chandra Mahal (Moon Palace), and the Mubarak Mahal (Auspicious Palace).
City Palace was the residence and administrative headquarters of the Rajput Maharajas and their families until 1949, when Jaipur became part of Rajasthan state. It also has a temple dedicated to Govind Dev Ji, a form of Lord Krishna, who was worshipped by the royal family. The palace also has a museum that displays a rich collection of paintings, weapons, costumes, textiles, manuscripts, and other artifacts.
Here are some details about City Palace that will help you plan your visit.
Location of City Palace:
City Palace is located in Jaleb Chowk, near Jantar Mantar and Hawa Mahal, in Jaipur city. It is easily accessible by road, rail, or air.
Timing/Entry Fees City Palace:
City Palace is open from 9:30 AM to 5:00 PM for day visits and from 7:00 PM to 10:00 PM for night visits. There is an entry fee of INR 200 per person for Indian citizens and INR 500 per person for foreign citizens for day visits and INR 100 per person for Indian citizens and INR 200 per person for foreign citizens for night visits. There is also a fee of INR 100 for camera and INR 200 for video camera.
How to reach City Palace:
The nearest airport to Jaipur is Jaipur International Airport, which is about 20 km from City Palace. You can take a taxi or a bus from the airport to City Palace. The nearest railway station to Jaipur is Jaipur Junction, which is about 4.5 km from City Palace. You can take an auto-rickshaw or a cycle-rickshaw from the station to City Palace. Alternatively, you can also drive your own vehicle or hire a car from Jaipur or other nearby cities.
Things to do/Must see City Palace:
There are many things to do and see at City Palace. Some of them are:
- Explore the palace and admire its architecture and design. The palace has many halls, chambers, gardens, pavilions, and terraces that showcase the royal lifestyle and culture of the Rajput rulers. You can also see the paintings, carvings, mirrors, mosaics, frescoes, and sculptures that adorn the walls and ceilings of the palace.
- Enjoy the light and sound show that narrates the history and legends of City Palace. The show is held every evening in Hindi and English languages at different timings. The show lasts for about 50 minutes and costs INR 200 per person for Indian citizens and INR 300 per person for foreign citizens.
- Visit the museum that displays a rich collection of paintings, weapons, costumes, textiles, manuscripts, and other artifacts that belong to the royal family and their courtiers. You can also see some rare items such as silver urns that were used to carry water from River Ganga by Maharaja Sawai Madho Singh II; a giant silver vessel that was used by Maharaja Sawai Ram Singh II as his carriage; a golden throne that was used by Maharaja Sawai Pratap Singh; etc.
- Visit the temple that is dedicated to Govind Dev Ji, a form of Lord Krishna who was worshipped by the royal family. The temple has a beautiful idol of Govind Dev Ji that was brought from Vrindavan by Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh II. The temple also has daily rituals and festivals that attract many devotees.
- Visit the nearby attractions such as Jantar Mantar, which is an observatory built by Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh II; Hawa Mahal, which is a palace with hundreds of windows that allow breeze to enter; Jal Mahal, which is a palace floating on Man Sagar Lake; Nahargarh Fort, which is a hilltop fort that offers panoramic views of Jaipur; etc.
Significance of City Palace:
City Palace in Jaipur is not only a tourist attraction but also a place of great religious and historical significance. Some of the reasons why this place is important are:
- It is associated with Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh II who was a visionary ruler and a patron of arts and sciences. He was famous for his justice and wisdom and his stories are part of Indian folklore.
- It is one of the five observatories built by Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh II that showcase his scientific achievements and contributions to astronomy. These observatories are considered as architectural marvels and UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
- It is a place where many historical events took place such as battles, treaties, alliances, marriages, festivals etc. It also witnessed many cultural exchanges between Rajputs and Mughals.
Q: When is the best time to visit City Palace?
A: The best time to visit City Palace is during the months of October to March when the weather is pleasant and comfortable.
Q: What are some tips for visiting City Palace?
A: Some tips for visiting City Palace are:
Dress modestly and respectfully as this is a religious place.
Avoid carrying valuables or expensive items as there may be crowds or pickpockets.
Follow the rules and regulations of the palace authorities such as maintaining cleanliness or not littering.
Be careful while exploring the palace as there may be steep stairs or slippery surfaces.
Respect the sentiments and beliefs of other visitors and do not disturb them.
City Palace in Jaipur is a splendid palace and museum complex that showcases the royal splendor and glory of Rajasthan. It is a place where you can learn about the history and culture of Rajput rulers who ruled over Jaipur for centuries. It is also a place where you can witness some amazing architectural features such as halls chambers gardens pavilions terraces paintings carvings mirrors mosaics frescoes etc If you are looking for a fascinating And memorable trip you should definitely visit City Palace in Jaipur.