If you are looking for a place to enjoy the greenery and beauty of nature, then Lalbagh Botanical Garden in Bangalore is a perfect destination for you. Lalbagh Botanical Garden is a green and gorgeous garden that was established by Hyder Ali, the ruler of Mysore, in 1760. The garden is spread over an area of 240 acres and has more than 1800 species of plants and trees. The garden is also a center of scientific research and conservation of flora and fauna. Famous tourist attraction in Bangalore, Visit during Bangalore Local sightseeing.
The garden attracts many visitors who want to relax and rejuvenate themselves in the lap of nature. In this article, we will tell you everything you need to know about Lalbagh Botanical Garden, including its location, timing/entry fees, how to reach, things to do/must see, significance, FAQs, and conclusion.
Location of Lalbagh Botanical Garden
Lalbagh Botanical Garden is located in the south of Bangalore city, in Karnataka state. It is situated about 4 km from the Bangalore Railway Station and 38 km from the Kempegowda International Airport. The garden is surrounded by other attractions such as Tipu Sultan’s Palace, Cubbon Park, Vidhana Soudha, etc.
Timing/Entry Fees Lalbagh Botanical Garden
The garden is open to visitors throughout the year, from 6 am to 7 pm. There is an entry fee of Rs. 25 for Indian visitors and Rs. 100 for foreign visitors. There is also a camera fee of Rs. 50 for still cameras and Rs. 100 for video cameras.
How to Reach Lalbagh Botanical Garden
The easiest way to reach Lalbagh Botanical Garden is by road. You can take a bus or a taxi from Bangalore city or airport to reach the garden. You can also take a metro train to Lalbagh Metro Station and then walk or take a rickshaw to reach the garden.
Things to Do/Must See Lalbagh Botanical Garden
There are many things to do and see at Lalbagh Botanical Garden. Some of them are:
- Explore the garden’s flora and fauna. The garden has a variety of plants and trees that belong to different regions and climates of the world. Some of them are roses, orchids, bonsai, cacti, bamboo, lotus, etc. The garden also has some rare and exotic species such as baobab, cannonball tree, sausage tree, etc. The garden also has some birds and animals such as peacocks, parrots, monkeys, squirrels, etc.
- Visit the glass house and flower shows. The garden has a glass house that was built in 1889 on the model of London’s Crystal Palace. The glass house is used for hosting flower shows that are held twice a year: during Republic Day (January) and Independence Day (August). The flower shows display various types of flowers and plants that are arranged in different themes and patterns.
- Enjoy the lake and rock formations. The garden has a lake that adds beauty and charm to the place. You can enjoy boating on the lake with different types of boats such as pedal boats, row boats, etc. You can also enjoy the view of the lake from the watchtower that is located near the lake. The garden also has some rock formations that date back to 3000 million years ago. Some of them are Lalbagh Rock (the oldest rock in India), Peninsular Gneiss (a metamorphic rock), etc.
- Experience the events and activities. The garden also hosts some events and activities throughout the year that are fun and educational for the visitors. Some of them are nature walks, birdwatching sessions, yoga classes, photography workshops, etc.
Significance of Lalbagh Botanical Garden
Lalbagh Botanical Garden is not only a tourist attraction but also a place of scientific and environmental importance for Bangalore and India. The garden has many benefits and blessings for those who visit it with respect and admiration. Some of them are:
- The garden preserves and propagates the diversity and richness of plant life in India and the world.
- The garden conducts scientific research and conservation of flora and fauna in collaboration with various national and international organizations.
- The garden educates and inspires the public about the importance and value of nature and environment.
- The garden provides a green and healthy space for recreation and relaxation for the people.
Here are some frequently asked questions about Lalbagh Botanical Garden:
- Q: How much time does it take to explore the garden?
- A: It takes about 3 to 4 hours to explore the garden thoroughly.
- Q: Is there any accommodation facility near the garden?
- A: Yes, there are some hotels and lodges near the garden where you can stay overnight.
- Q: Is there any food or water facility at the garden?
- A: Yes, there are some canteens and stalls at the garden where you can buy snacks and water. However, it is advisable to carry your own food and water as well.
- Q: Is there any medical facility near the garden?
- A: No, there is no medical facility near the garden. You should carry your own first aid kit and medicines in case of any emergency.
Lalbagh Botanical Garden is a must-visit place for anyone who loves nature, science, culture, and fun. It is a place where you can explore the variety and beauty of plant life in India and the world, visit the glass house and flower shows that display various types of flowers and plants in different themes and patterns, enjoy the lake and rock formations that add charm and elegance to the place, experience events and activities that are fun and educational for visitors. It is a place that will leave you with happiness and satisfaction in your mind.